1998 stock 4.0 sohc automatic transmission problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 stock 4.0 sohc automatic transmission problem

ernaldmerican

Reaction score
City, State
schenectady New york
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt
I have a 1998 xlt sohc 4.0lt, and just yesterday the truck had problems shifting around 20-30mph, assuming its from first to second gear. It wants to shift, then it doesn't and rpm's go up about 500. I thought it might be slipping so I continued to press on the gas and car is still moving (not reving and nothing happening). Once i let off the gas alittle it shifts and everything is fine. No other issues thru the power range, just everytime you are either starting from a stop or slow down below 10 or so mph it happens.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you both for the information. In reading all the threads, I am not sure what tranny I have to determine what valve body i would need.

Second I got a little confused thru the articles but is there a kit to replace everything either associated or thought to be a cause of this and if so what is the P/n and supplier who sells it?

Thanks again and great forum, glad i joined. The Ford dealer just told me i need a new tranny at a cost of $3000. Obviously this is worth the effort to try this and save some money.

Your transmission is a 5R55E. That transmission was used for all of the V6 Explorers from 97 to 2001.

As I understand it, there are (at least) two different aftermarket kits: Superior and TransGo. They are slightly different, but both are designed to correct some of the weak points of the 5R55E. They are discussed in detail in the 5R55E Valve Body Diary thread.

There is also a Ford TSB kit which includes a new design separator plate with a new design for the valve body gasket. It seems that the shift flare may be caused by valve body gasket leaks and / or a weak EPC (electronic pressure control) solenoid.

Loose valve body bolts could be added to the list of gaskets, and the EPC solenoid. First the bolts get loose, then the gaskets start to disintegrate, then the EPC starts to work harder to compensate for the pressure drop. It's like a domino effect.

I tried to find the parts mentioned by bigg billy in the write up he did and i can't find these parts in the two sites he mentioned. Fordpartsnetwork.com doesn't look like it exists, and bulkparts.com is hard to figure where to go to enter or order these parts. They list different sites but not sure how you navigate thru it to get to order these parts. Transgo didn't want to sell to me direct.

Again appreciate all the help.

Yes, fordpartsnetwork.com is now fastpartsnetwork.com. If you cannot find what you are looking for, you can email them, sales@fastpartsnetwork.com and they will usually get back to you very quickly.

I picked up my 98 exploerer from Ford to see what they said about the 2-3 flare, and they wanted a new tranny installed. They then handed me what they called keys (2 of them). I have digital pictures but not sure how to upload them for comments. If you have any idea how I can get these uploaded to get an opinion on where these go and how bad my tranny may be please let me know.

Thanks for the new web sites for the parts, I will start searching. Again appreciate all the feedback

uploaded files

I managed to figure out how to upload the pictures of two (appear to be keys) that the dealership found when they dropped the pan. My question is should or can i go ahead and try to 2-3 flare fix and replace these keys easily or are these keys something left toan experienced transmission shop.

2nd question for the 2-3 flare retorfit. How complicated is this to perform. I have only replaced filters on tranny's but have never gone farther than that.

Again thanks for all the sugestions. great forum.

Attachments

• S5002705-2.jpg
    S5002705-2.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 2,970
  • S5002706-2.jpg
    S5002706-2.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 2,875
  • S5002707-2.jpg
    S5002707-2.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 2,858

Because you are an Elite Explorer, you can upload pictures directly to the site.

After you have added the text you want to post, scroll down to the section titled "Additional Options". Click on the button "Manage Attachments". Another window will open and you click on "Choose File" to browse to the picture you want to upload. You can add up to four pictures as long as they are 800 x 600 pixels (or smaller) and less than 100kB each. When you are done browsing, click "Upload". It should confirm your file is uploaded. Then close the window and click "Submit Reply" to post.

Also, as an Elite, you can add pictures to your gallery and then link them to your post using the button above. See this thread for more detail:

[url]http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99253[/url]

Glacier991 could probably identify those parts for you. You should PM him and ask him to read this thread and advise. He is the Moderator of the Trans and Transfer Case Forum.

Apologize for my lack of knowledge on this site but what is PM and how do you contact someone directly on this site. I navigated around and did'nt see an obvious way to do it.

Again thanks for the reply

PM is for Private Message. I just sent him one, asking him to look at this thread.

The first 2 parts are called apply struts for the bands. The one on the left is damaged. It's hard to make out the other pictures. Did you try adjusting your bands recently? If not, then a band probably broke. Check my thread on band adjustments with pictures: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158160

Thanks Brooklyn Bay. Appreciate the feedback. I will look at your thread, and if its all right if I have questions to ask.

Yes those are apply struts in the first picture. Usually you will only see these in the pan if a band apply point was broken or if someone removed the adjusting bolt on the band. This will require a removal of the transmission if the band itself has broken. You are looking at at least a partical teardown in that case to replace the band.

Sorry, I have been on vacation and away for a couple of weeks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Glacier991 and Brooklyn Bay for the reply. Having someone with better technical back ground information is extremely helpfull and much appreciated.

can I tell by removing the pan whether the band is broken?

Second knowing what you know from this thread (realizing not alot of information here) other than those two pieces were in my pan, and I have a 2-3 shift problem, I needed to take a high way drive this weekend 110 miles each way. Car seems (so far) to run fine other than the 2-3 slip which I have to let off the gas and it shifts. At high way speeds it seems fine but not knowing much about this transmission I wasn't sure if its an obvious no or its a slight risk, or just an issue at lower speeds.

Again appreciate your thoughts, the feedback and your time.

Back