factory keyless/remote start questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

factory keyless/remote start questions

djsmooth56

Reaction score
City, State
East Lansing, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
i just bought a 2000 explorer XLT from a single owner who told me he had had the factory remote starter installed at the dealership when he bought it. the remotes he gave me were made by CodeAlarm. the remote start works great but when you press the Arm button, there is no horn cherp. in fact, i cant get the alarm to go off or cherp ever. even when i try the panic button, nothing. also the interror lights do not come on when you disarm the system, but do come on when you use the factory keypad on the door. i just want the system to work correctly and have the interror (and cool under mirror exterior lights) to come on when i unlock/disarm the system. any ideas of why this feature does not work or how i can make it work.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is there a horn? It is possible that the prior owner did not pay to have these additional features installed-- hooking up the alarm and lights, etc all takes additional install time and would add a lot to the price and the prior owner may only have cared about remote start. If you can call the prior owner and ask, that would be a good place to start. These alarms also can be "programmed" for silent mode, so that's a possibility too.

how do you re-program the alarm so its not in silent mode anymore?

here is a better list of the problems i am having. the remote says CodeAlarm on it and it is a 4 button remote.

1. when i arm the system with the remote, there is no horn signal to indicate i did so, but it does flash its parking lights twice. i also cant get the alarm to go off by opening the doors or anything.

2. when i disarm/unlock the system with the remote, none of the interror lights come on, but when i disarm/unlock the system with the factory keypad on the door, the interror lights come on.

3. with the remote starter, can start it and it runs great, but again the interror lights do not come on.

4. when i press the panic/find button on the remote, the lights just flash and there is no horn siganling.

5. and lastly, i was wondering if there is any way to make it so the alarm does not arm its self after 30 seconds, its pretty anoying.

if anyone knows anything about this alarm it would be greatly aprecieated if you could help me out

If no-one can answer today, I'll try to take a look at the installation manual for my system when I get home. Programming the system is not that big of a deal, but does require you to go through exact steps as outlined in the manual. I can't be sure that your system is the exact model that mine is, but mine is a Ford remote start, keyless entry, alarm system made by Code Alarm-- hopefully the programming procedures will be the same.

If the keypad on the door was original equipment, it would have been connected to the interior lighting system at the factory. This would be independent from the the dealer-installed remote start system, so the remote start system may or may not have been connected so as to trigger the interior lighting-- it sounds like it was not.

I originally asked if there was a horn because it could be that the horn itself was never installed-- if the prior owner didn't want to pay for the time. The horn looks like a black "siren" and would be mounted under the hood somewhere (probably on the driver's side).

i did not find a horn under the hood anywhere so decided to check out the connections on the systems box under the dash. sure enough, the horn was disconnected. so now that i reconnected it, it works through the cars horn. i also found that the wires for the dome light that come from the alarm box do not go anywhere. so now i just need to find out where to hook them up to to make the dome lights work properly. i would still like to know how to program the alarm into silent mode in case i want to do it sometime.

Glad to hear you got that working. I took a look at my manual and realize that you really just need to have a copy of it to do the programming-- there are a lot of other features you might like too. I'll see if I can scan the manual in the next couple days and email it to you, please PM me with your email address. I also have a wire location chart that tells where all the connections should be made (and gives the wire colors), but it's for model year 2001, so I'm not sure it will be the same for your 2000.

circuit city caries code alarm product now, they got rid of viper. Take it up there and ask one of the installers if they could take a look at it for you. Even though the previous owner bought it we dont have to look at it but i dont see why they wouldnt

Back