• Register Today It's free!

help??? airbag code 52???

stackz

Reaction score
City, State
james island, sc
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 5.0 mountie
ok, I replaced the airbags and impact sensors in my 98 mountaineer and hooked the battery back up and they didnt pop luckily :p

however, the airbag light is still flashing at me and then going solid. I counted and it flashes a 5 and then flashes a 2 so I'm assuming its a code 52.

anyone have an airbag tech manual or something that knows what this code 52 means and what could still be wrong with my truck?? thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

cool, thanks!!

stackz, I had code 52 also. I had created my because I had pulled the fuse an drove because I needed to replace 1 of the front crash sensors. I sat and turned the key on a off until the light went out without blinking any codes. I had read the link that Skibug had posted. I'm to cheap to pay Ford to clear the code. I haven't had any problem since.

justanother1 said:
stackz, I had code 52 also. I had created my because I had pulled the fuse an drove because I needed to replace 1 of the front crash sensors. I sat and turned the key on a off until the light went out without blinking any codes. I had read the link that Skibug had posted. I'm to cheap to pay Ford to clear the code. I haven't had any problem since.

I tried that though, I flipped it on/off 260 times earlier today and it did nothing.

One weird thing though was that after I got to about 120 or so, it started flipping the door locks every few flips of the ignition.

It didnt go away though :(

Did I do it wrong?? I would just flip and flip back off, I didnt wait for the light to stop blinking or anything since I knew that would take forever.

also, after 150, the door lock thing sorta got to me so I turned the car on for a second thinking I screwed something up and then went back to flipping the ignition...was this bad??

whats the proper way to turn on/off the ignition to get it to work???

When I did it, I left the airbag light quit blinking after everytime I turned the key on. My understanding is that the airbag system has to preform the diagnostic test every time the key is turned on (256 times) and have a clean test (not finding any problems to throw any codes) to get rid of code 52.

justanother1 said:
When I did it, I left the airbag light quit blinking after everytime I turned the key on. My understanding is that the airbag system has to preform the diagnostic test every time the key is turned on (256 times) and have a clean test (not finding any problems to throw any codes) to get rid of code 52.

well that explains that. I wonder if I can pause and then drive the car in between doing this?? that's going to take an aweful long time lol.

You can pause and drive the car. Driving the car counts toward the 256 times. It took me a couple hours on a Sunday morning to do this.

ok cool. looks like I've got fun times ahead of me this weekend sigh :p

Correct

I have found this to be accurate. About six weeks or so back I blew the airbag fuse, can't remember what I was doing, but I had to replace the 10A fuse under the hood. Then the code changed to 52. Well, earlier tonight the airbag code went away. I did not keep track, but a typical day for me involves starting the truck 6-7 times, so I figured it would be a month or two. I was hoping it would clear the code 52 after 256 tests, and sure enough it did.

Back