• Register Today It's free!

How to flush/change brake fluid??

JoeC5

Reaction score
City, State
n/a
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Eddie Bauer
I cant even remember when the last time the brake fluid was changed on my 93 EB. I was planning to do it this weekend maybe, could explain the process for me and what type of brake fluid i should put back in. Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same here. Need to do it.. dont know how. :)

Parts: assistant, pint of Dot 3 brake fluid, empty container, 3/16 clear tubing to fit over bleeder valve, wrench to open and close bleeder valve.
1. Begin on right rear, then left rear, then right front, and last,left front.
2. Place one end of tubing over bleeder valve and submerge the other end in brake fluid.
3. Assistant pump the brakes 3 times and then hold the pedal firmly depressed on the last time.
4. While pedal is held depressed, open the bleeder valve to allow the fluid to leave the valve.
5. As soon as the assistant feels the pedal almost touching the floor, assostant yell and shut off the bleeder valve (this is to prevent air from back flowing).
6. Repeat steps 3-5 at least 5 times. On every third time, check the brake fluid level and add to the max mark level.
7. Repeat step 6 if any air bubble is seen leaving the tube or if brake pedal feels spongly.
8. Mistakes to watch: allowing brake level in master cylinder reservoir to get below mininum level, allowing air to flow back into the line (reason why the fluid coming out should not have bubbles).
9. By the time you finish, the dark fluid coming out should be clear.
Good luck..

98/92 EB,

Great description/ procedure list for brake Bleed & Flush! That should be a big help. One additional thing that
might speed up the flush aspect of the procedure that was given to me by our Light Vehicle Fleet mechanics at
work:

Before starting all the above steps, get something to suck out most of the old brake fluid from the master
cylinder reservoir, (an old turkey baster works great for this) then refill with clean fluid. As you bleed each wheel cylinder, continue to top off with fresh fluid. This will get the clean new fluid into the system sooner, reducing the number of times you have to bleed each wheel before the fluid runs clean.

Bringing up an old thread since I think with all the fluids changes we do around here, the brake fluid may be the most overlooked. I know I was guilty of this.

Anyway, I put in new Performance Friction brake pads (lifetime guarantee from AutoZone) on my 98 (60K on the clock) last weekend and decided to flush my brake fluid today. Used the procedure outlined in this thread including first sucking out all the old fluid in the reservoir using a turkey baster (with a small plastic hose extension to get deep into the reservoir). Then I refilled with fresh fluid. Proceded to bleed each wheel in order until the fluid ran clear (always checking the fluid level in the reservoir and adding new fluid as necessary). Old fluid was was pretty funky including some noticeable suspended dirt particles. While I am the second owner, I'm pretty sure I was replacing the original brake fluid.

The only thing I have to add is to buy a 32 oz. container of brake fluid before starting. I wound up using all of it. Now I consider things 'good to go'. Brand new clear brake fluid to go with my new pads.

Lee

Need a diagram, please

Hi, I am new here, but not a new Exlporer owner! I have owned different ones since 1993. Currently, I have a 2003 Eddie Bauer. My son (who just turned 16) is doing a report on how to change fluids on engines, and so we thought we would use my car as an example. The problem is: does anyone have a general diagram of the overall engine like: battery is here, crankshaft is here, oil here, transmission fluid goes here, brake fluid here? Any help would be appreciated!
I am so glad I found this site!
Thanks,
Hurley

Thanks Evan! I will take a look. (Sorry for the late "thank you"--life kind of got in the way, if you know what I mean).

Hurley

I am getting ready to flush the brake fluid on my 2003 Explorer. From the procedures in the manual and all the posting it seems to be sufficient to just suck the old fluid out and bleed the system. I was thinking of disconnecting the brake lines at each wheel to drain the trapped fluid as well, but that may be unnecessary work. Any thoughts?

Pretty straight forward. I did it the old fashion way and just as the Haynes manual directs. I bought a tubing with a check valve in it from Napa Autoparts for $5 and that was helpful. I repeated the procedure 2 times as there was still dirty fluid coming out, of course the air came out first. The bleed valve size on my 2003 Explorer was 3/8. Thanks. Braking is noticeably better. The old fluid was very dark, just like a squid ink. Good Luck.

Good idea to put something under the brake pedal so you don't ruin the master cylinder,if it goes to the floor where the piston don't usually travel you could scar it

This is the next bit of maintenance on our NTU Explorer Sport. My dear son has been yelling not to take apart his car. ;) But he's not worried about keeping it running. We just did the serpentine belt. I showed him the brake fluid (basically green) and said that should be clear. Probably tackle it next weekend. Also need to do the other vehicles.

BTW I did my 2005 Envoy a year or two ago and I noticed a significant improvement in braking. That was original fluid.

Back