Explorer transmissions interchangeable? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer transmissions interchangeable?

greenyard

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
explorer 1998
I own a junkyard that has a 1998 4 door explorer and a 1999 explorer sport

Both of them came with automatic transmissions. Are these interchangable with a 1996 4 x 4 explorer transmission?

I just started carrying these cars and any expertise you guys can impart would be very appreciated.

-Jon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No only 95 and 96 are the same automatic transmissions they are 4R55E's if its a manual transmission then its swappable.

Yes that should work its the same model transmission

I might be tempted to do a simple rebuild since its gunna be out of the truck

by simple I mean inspection and new wear materials, bearing check and lube

I might be tempted to do a simple rebuild since its gunna be out of the truck

by simple I mean inspection and new wear materials, bearing check and lube

You're situation is different since you have the V8 I believe you can only use a 96 and 97 transmission since 96-01 the V8 transmissions are the same model but I think something changed in 98 that you can't use it without modification.

Thanks for the info guys!

I now have 4 ford explorers at my yard.

1999 black 4 door explorer with grey interior OHV v6
1998 black explorer sport with tan interior SOHC v6
1998 white 4 door explorer 4 x 4 with tan interior SOHC v6
1995 white 4 door explorer with tan leather interior OHV V6

If you guys know anyone whose interested in parts let me know. We can put any parts up on our site for sale : http://www.grnyard.com and can ship.

Go figure

I kind of figured that this is where this thread was heading

You could pay a yearly fee and become an EF Vendor here than you can post and sell your parts here on the forum.

Sneaky

Thanks for the help guys. Oh, by the way I sell insurance and..........

what about putting a t-case out of a 97 ex auto v6 in a 98 auto v6? will that work? anyone know what t-cases are interchangable with a 98 auto v6 ohv pt

Transfer case

I thing the 1354, 1356, and the 4405 all interchange and will bolt up. The wiring will be different I think.

I have a 93 explorer with 33s with the a4ld and it's starting to slip so I was looking at swapping in another tranny. Is there a better v6 tranny I can swap in w little mods to it?

No only 95 and 96 are the same automatic transmissions they are 4R55E's if its a manual transmission then its swappable.
Can you tell me if a 1998 Ford explorer Eddie Bauer Transmissionis interchangeably with a 1997 Ford explorer Eddie Bauer

v6 or v8? iirc, at least the 5r55es may have been? gotta look back to see if they were... and i forget about rhe v8s off the top my head. let me know which engine you got, sohc or v8?

Back