Tow Rig Forum | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tow Rig Forum

Towing, hauling, boats, campers, trailers etc... Trailer hitches, weight distribution, hitch ball, safety chains, tow bar and brake controllers. Discuss it all here!
So i have a 2016 base model explorer V6 4wd... i put a hitch on to tow a small trailer and a mobility scooter... install went fine til i got to the harness.. i got the t-one connector assembly ..part #118540 .. so there was supposed to be a plug to undo and then connect the harness to the 2 connectors... well on my explorer there was nothing plugged into the vehicles connector so i plugged the wiring harness in and taped off the open plug since there was nothing to plug into it.. checked the harness and it only works woth the left turn signal.. dont work with brakes or running lights turned on... i dunno what to do here... please help ..
hi everyone. recently purchased a 2001 mountaineer 5.0L awd with 98k miles...has trans cooler already but no hitch or wiring (wiring plug was found below taillight and all necessary parts are ordered aka hitch 4 pin conector and 7pin wiring and on the way) have a hand me down WD hitch my parents used before upgrading. i have several questions before i get out onto the road but first the camper is a 2015 jayco jay feather ultra lite x18d. dry its 3400 loaded 4600. we do pack light so im not worried, we never travel with water in tanks (we glamp more than camp) so questions as follows... 1. should i add another trans cooler or swap current for a larger unit? 2. should i mess with changing trans fluid or diff fluid? 3. should i add a leaf...
Hi guys and gals. I'm currently looking at purchasing a 2001 mountaineer with the 5.0. I'm a huge Ford fan and like how it drives ect... initially I was looking at this vehicle as just an extra car for errands and keeping miles off the cars we have payments on... but then i saw some posts about how people are towing quite a bit with em... we love camping and the plan was to get a camper in a few summers (wife deploys after Christmas so we were waiting to pull the trigger on that for now) but if the mountaineer is a decent tow rig we can maybe get camping sooner than later... we will be getting some sort of hybrid expandable camper (at most 5500ish pounds loaded with gear ect)... question is how does it do towing with that sort of...
Purchased a 2016 explorer AWD V6 back in November and now we are small camper shopping. Ideally I would like a Jayco 154 or 174 bunk house. The 154 is about 2600 dry, 3400 wet, with the 174 about 400lbs more on both. I have the class 3 towing and a weight distribution hitch already, but I need to get a brake controller installed still.... I know I would be within the ratings of the explorer, but how difficult is this going to be to tow still? Anyone tow anything similar with the standard V6? I really don’t want a pop-up camper but may look at shorter options if absolutely necessary. 90% of my towing would be in the very flat Indiana/Michigan area if that helps, but I wouldn’t mind taking a trip to Tennessee or somewhere similar...
I have a 2010 V8 tow package (rated about 7,200 lbs). I currently tow a 26' (tounge to tip) Rockwood 2504S Travel Trailer that's about 4,600lbs dry. Figure 5,600 with accessories, cargo, passengers, etc. I have an E2 weight distributing anti-sway hitch....it's the knockoff of the Equalizer system. And my trailer has independent torsion suspension which is supposedly better than the traditional leaf spring systems. My truck/trailer combo tows beautifully. Handles the weight well and minimal problems with trucks and cross winds on the highway. We're looking to upgrade to a bigger trailer....possibly something in the 30-32 foot range about 5,500 lbs (about 6,500 with all cargo etc). I'm not too concerned about the weight...
My 97 5.0 has pretty much been beaten to a pulp and I need to replace it until I get my Willys Panel project done. I use my explorer to tow stuff, cars and building materials. I thought about an Expedition, but frankly don't like such a big vehicle which is why I've stuck with the 5.0 explorer. I really like the looks of the 2012 explorers, there is a super cheap one that is a 180k mile police. Then there is a 2003 sport trac that I need to do an engine swap, and so its super cheap too. Which would be better for towing?
Hi all, I’m new here so this may be a topic that has been covered but I can’t find a thread in it. I have a 2014 Explorer Sport with an aftermarket tow package that has a four way flat connector. We’re buying a travel trailer and I need to install a brake controller and switch to a 7-pin trailer connection. Seems like installing and connecting the brake controller under the dash will be a piece of cake. What I’m not sure of is what I need to do next. How do I convert the four flat to a seven pin? Do I have to run wires from the battery/brake controller to the hitch? Or does plugging the controller into the plug beneath the dash tie it into the vehicle and I need another wiring harness/adapter for the rear? Thanks all!
Greetings Explorations, Got a few questions about my 2017 XLT 4x4. I want to pull a dual axle "load runner" 6x12 box trailer. My XLT did "not" come with factory installed towing, however was pre-installed with the electric brake adapter. I have personally installed the Ford Accessories Class 1 (2" Trailer Hitch) and Prodigy 3 Brake Controller connecting it directly under the dash as well as a 7-way Plug for Electric brakes in the back. The controller instantly recognizes when the trailer is connected. Does this confirm I have the bigger radiator and trans cooler? Or just confirmed I was pre-wired for electric brake control? Advertised dry weight of the Load Runner is 1680 lbs. I know the Ford Accessories Hitch is...
Hi all, We are looking to get a new family vehicle and the wife has fallen in love with a clean Explorer at a dealership. The issue I have currently is this is going to be replacing our 98 Dodge Ram and I have used that truck for a lot of truck duties. Hauling material to build a shed, hauling several cars with a car trailer, hauling a 3500lb popup camping as well as going hunting. I was going to simply get a trailer to pull behind the Exp to take over truck duties, but the one we are looking at has a class II hitch that is welded to the frame? So therefore it has a 3500lb limit. My questions is, looking at a factory brochure there is a 4x4 4.0 v6 that has a class III/IV options listed with a 5205lb towing capacity. Other than the...
Hi Everyone, This is my first post here and has been my last resort for getting help. I have a 2016 Explorer XLT that I bought new. It's out of warranty now (110,000 KMs). I bought it without the tow package because, at the time, I didn't need one. Fast forward to today, I'm regretting that decision. I recently purchased an Ultralite camper trailer which has an dry weight of 3500lbs. I've been assured by my local dealer that my explorer will suffice for towing this. I went ahead and installed a class three hitch and a 7 pin wiring harness for a break controller. I will also be putting in an oil cooler prior to my trip at the end of the month. I was towing my trailer home from the dealer the other day and noticed on the highway...
Back