Tow Rig Forum | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tow Rig Forum

Towing, hauling, boats, campers, trailers etc... Trailer hitches, weight distribution, hitch ball, safety chains, tow bar and brake controllers. Discuss it all here!
Getting a 2016 Explorer Sport next week. I'm aware of the 5,000 lb towing capacity. We have 3 young kids that are only getting bigger every year. We like to take summer trips about 5 hours away from home. We are considering a 21' speed boat in the near future. Think the boat and trailer will weigh about 4,000 lbs. Has anyone attempted to haul a boat and full load of people/cargo with a 2016 Sport? I currently own a 2007 Chev 1/2 ton and may trade up to 2015 up f-150 s crew. Thinking the f-150 would be a lot better for towing/hauling but the 3 kids would be more comfortable in the explorer with the captains seats. Opinions please!
I'm looking at purchasing a LOW mileage V6 AWD Mountaineer that does not have the tow package. I've been researching and searching this forum but haven't found part numbers for some of the towing accessories I'm looking for. I currently own an '06 Mariner V6 AWD and tow a 10' utility trailer and 20' pontoon infrequently, both under 3,000 lb. Towing is only about 10% of my yearly driving and the mariner does OK, but we wanted a larger vehicle as well as something with a longer wheel base to use when towing. I am not looking to push the weight limits nor tow a camper, I'm in Indiana so all flat land towing, but I want to make sure I keep the truck healthy long term. Is there a factory or aftermarket recommendation for an upgraded...
Well the time has come. We've been negotiating, got the loan approved, but I'd feel a lot better if I got the opinions of some of the folks here who have done more towing with explorers than I have. here are the specs of the trailer. 17FQ Hitch Weight 298 lbs. UVW 2731 lbs. GVWR 3518 lbs. CCC 770 lbs. Exterior Length 21' 4" Exterior Height 9' 8" Exterior Width 88" Fresh Water 33 gal. Gray Water 25 gal. Black Water 25 gal. Awning Size 10 ft http://www.coachmenrv.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=63&Image=6731 Here is a link to the trailer manufacturer. We're getting a 2014 model but the specs haven't changed. What do you all think? Will the 2000 Eddie Bauer 5.0 pull it? I've swapped from the AWD to a...
Hi, I currently have a 2009 Ford Explorer 4WD XLT with a Class III hitch and have towed a trailer that weighs around 3,600 lbs without an issue. I purchased it used years ago when it only had 10K miles on it and it came with the hitch. I am approaching 175K miles on it so I am looking for a second one. I am looking for a used 2014 or 2015 with either FWD or 4WD. I am confused about the towing capacity. The vehicles I am looking at have the 3.5L engines and one of them even has a tow hitch but I noticed the door decal has a GVWR of only 6,120 lbs. which seems to indicate the towing capacity of that model is only 2,000 lbs. When I look at the towing specs on the Ford website for 2016 models, it shows that all of the...
In August 2015 I purchased a 2016 explorer Limited 2.3l eco boost FWD without a tow package because it had 2nd row bucket seats. It has an axle ratio of 3.36. The dealer assured me they could install a tow package that was "no different" than the factory I told them I was purchasing a travel trailer that was around 3000 lbs , (actual unloaded weight 2575) he assured me this vehicle was adequate to tow the trailer with the tow package they would install. He stated it could tow 5000 lbs as ford rates the tow capabilities much lower than it can "actually" tow I know right? Well after waiting for the parts on back order the hitch finally arrived I met with the sales manager to insure all the components were included identical to the factory...
Hello all, I'm looking to upgrade the suspension on my 1997 Mercury Mountaineer RWD. Specifically the shocks. When towing my 17' trailer loaded down ( about 4,500 pounds ), the rear end sags pretty badly. I already know about getting a proper weight distribution hitch, and I plan on doing so right after upgrading the suspension. From researching on these forums, it seems the Monroe Sensa-Trac #58617 with spring-assist would be my best choice for maintaining a level ride when hauling. My main question is, is that true, or is there something better for the same price? I'm not looking to spend over $100 on a set of rear-shocks, I've found the Monroe Sensa-Trac's for $70.00. Another question I had was, after installing these...
Hey guys, I'm looking for some real world towing experience with a 5th generation Explorer Sport (3.5l Ecobost AWD). Short of it, for a few years I had a 2008 Explorer Limited with the V8 in it towing a v-nose 5x8 enclosed cargo trailer - loaded weight 2200lbs. The specs on the truck were 292HP @ 5750 & 300lb/ft @ 3950. It would pull it ok at highway speeds (IE 60-65mph) but the occasional hill would cause it to either shift down pulling the rpm well over 2k or a significant lose of mph. So I "upgraded" to a 2011 Dodge Durango with the 5.7l Hemi a few years back - 360 hp @ 5150 rpm & 390 lb-ft @ 4250 rpm. Quite a bit quicker when not towing to get up to highway speeds or passing...noticeably but not astonishingly better for...
Had a bolt shear off the ball coupler mechanism on my trailer last night and the trailer came off the ball. In retrospect, I know exactly which pothole caused it. Luckily the trailer was empty. I noticed the trailer was a little squirrely back there but it's always prone to a little sway when I tow empty. Just not enough tongue weight so didn't think too much of it. I might not have even known until I got home if someone didn't pull up next to me to tell me. Pulled over and the trailer tongue was nestled nicely on the crossed chains. Managed to ratchet tie down the tongue onto the ball until I got home but thank goodness for those chains. :eek:
:rolleyes: This is a bit long - trying to give as much pertinent info. as possible. Vehicle = 2008 Ford Explorer, Eddie Bauer Edition, V6, 4WD, with 1-1/4" Class II receiver factory installed (it's welded in.) The vehicle is "stock" - it has not been raised or otherwise modified in any way. except for a repair I did on a visor! Trailer = 2007 Fleetwood Yuma pop-up camper. No mods. FULLY loaded weight (GVWR) = 2400 lbs. Tongue weight = 248 lbs. (this was actually with the popup loaded to ~ 2200 lbs. -- "distribution" of weight still plenty flexible, tho' I don't really think we'd ever need to max out at 2400 lbs. My Dad's Chevy S-10 pulled it with no problems at all, but the S-10 has been sold. The top surface of the...
My old XLT 2wd 5.0L is beginning to nickel and dime me with repairs. I sometimes tow an RV, so I need a V8. I am looking at a gen4 as a replacement. When looking online, the few with a V8 mention 3.55 gears. Many don't mention anything, just a VIN. Is there a way to tell the rear gears by the VIN? My 96 has 3.73 gears (D4 inside the door) and I don't know if 3.55 will hack it with the RV. I have read a lot of posts that if the hitch is 2 inch, it has the tow package. I want something more definitive than something like that. Anyone can put on a different hitch. The rear gears are my concern. It was key on my 96. Also, are the Gen 4 trans as good as the 4R70W or better? Repairs made in the past two years...
Im sure this has been covered but Im at my wits end. Looked all over for a solution but cant seem to get it figured out. I bought my 16 year old an Explorer, nice rig 87k miles does not have the tow package and does have the ugly blue interior but otherwise nice. Put a tow reciever on it for some light towing but I can't figure out the wiring. I tried splicing in to the tail light on the drivers side... no love. Bought the Hopkins T connector # 4032, still no love. Read on one of the forums that I needed to add the 2 relays in the box next to the battery and add the 30 amp fuse in the fuse box... did that nothing. Then today I got the wiring kit from LiteMate Pitco #6868P that hooks right in to both the rear tail lights and runs...
Travel trailer is model ZT-18-ss and made by Crossroads. From bumper to hitch is 22ft, single axle. Actual dry weight is 3723lbs. I drove it home today, 3 hour trip, with lots of hills; some 13deg or so. I have Ford explorer 2016, Limited with WDH and sway control. I have the regular V6 engine (non-turbo) with factory tow package. I found the Explorer has plenty of power to drag this thing. I kept TOW button pushed in most of trip and tach would sit just under 4k rpm. I was happy the tranny wasn't doing lots of shifting, but found after I crested hills, it would not drop the rpm's (shift up) quickly. I hit the paddles and it seemed to appreciate the higher gear as it dropped to 2200rpm for much of the downhills. I found the standard...
Tried mounting a CURT #13540 round tube class 3 to my 98 Eddie, 4.0SOHC, 4door, 2wd. No go. Hitch inside span is 41 and 1/8 inches whereas frame outer span is 42. Is the CURT actually wrong or is my frame whooper-jawed? Under vehicle looks good with no damage. Just wondering if this is unique to CURT hitches or is it my frame. Check other mfg's for their hitch dimensions and most come up the same. Does anyone have an idea about this?
Hae a 1995 Ford Explorer that is not passing power to the right turn signal and brake light on my popup camper. I have checked the trailer with another vehicle and all light systems work the that vehicle. I have checked continuity with the 4 pin connector pigtail from the left rear light connector to the trailer plug and it checks fine. The issue is where the right turn signal and brake signal is supposed to be passed to that connector I have no voltage (I'm specifically talking about the alternate wiring that connects to a four pin pigtail to run the power for the trailer). All other wired on this particular run of wiring are passing ~12 VDC just as they are supposed to. So I have isolated the issue to that single wire, now for the...
Back