RV / Trailers / Camping | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RV / Trailers / Camping

Camping water heater

Not much experience with below freezing camping.
I have taken care if the pipes and the fresh water tank. Placed heating pads on the grey and black tanks and have a jug of antifreeze to pour into them if needed.
What do I do with the camping water heater........ do I drain it and just heat water on the gas stove or is the heater OK to turn on and heat once a day for a shower, or will it freeze up when not in use.

Self propelled travel trailer - Designed by ex-Tesla/Rivian engineers.

I like the idea of having 80kw of battery storage in a camper. Not using the self propelled mode when pulling with a conventional vehicle would allow it to boondock until the food and water runs out, or the septic becomes full.
I'm not fond of the large opening windows unless there are screens. If I wanted bugs I would tent camp.
The $125,000 price is pretty crazy, but maybe not that bad when compared...

Keeping my 23 year old car hauler trailer road worthy

pumpkin_trailer.jpg

I purchased this trailer in 1999 after losing a rear driveshaft at Truck Haven and being forced to drive back to Arizona with front wheel drive. I have performed regular maintenance of the wheel bearings and brakes, but never did anything to the suspension other than check the hardware to make sure it's tight.

The last time I did wheel bearings I noticed some gouges in the spindles which I felt could lead to them breaking, so I knew I was going to have to replace the axles...

Flatbed Trailer upgrades..

Some of you may know, I bought a flatbed trailer a few months ago.

• 16 ft dovetail.
  • 3500# axles
  • Brakes on both axles

20220515_182521.jpg

I have been doing upgrades to it recently.

• Swapped out all lights to LED's
  • Replaced and upgraded the tires to a larger tire. (225 vs 205)
  • New Spare, and moved to underneath the tongue with a Explorer spare tire winch.😉
  • New jack, with socket adapter for drill.
  • Smittybuilt 9500# winch.
  • HF Trailer tongue box for tie down...

Stic-o Class C RV. Say hello to Sunny🌞

Well it's been a long time coming (although probably not the best time with gas prices 😮‍💨)

We finally bought a Motorhome.

2018 Forest River Sunseeker on a E-450 chassis.

*V-10/ 6 -speed
*28' (which really means 30'🙄)
*2 slides Kitchen/living and rear bedroom
*Outdoor Kitchen/ TV
*Rear and side cameras
*Tons of upgrades

Bought from a private owner who runs a RV repair place in the OC, and this was there private unit that they factory ordered.

Her name was Sunny, which we plan to keep...

RV Fridge/Freezer Needs More Air Flow, SOLVED

Last time I was dry camping it got warm, high 90's. I noticed that the RV freezer was not freezing water bottles overnight like it usually does. Its a Dometic double door fridge that usually works great. The sun was on the fridge side of the RV most of the day the way it was parked, which was a bonehead move on my part.

I read up on the electric/propane combo fridges and there were several posts about tight clearances around the back of the fridge not allowing enough air flow. The space...

RV Propane BBQ Fix

Last trip out with the RV I noticed the BBQ was in need of some TLC. The heat, tent, shield, burner protector plate was falling apart. Its stupid thin plate with a bunch of stamped slots in it so its days were numbered from the start. I priced out new grills but they are all at least $100 for what I would want. Nothing special, just a small BBQ for the RV. I decided to give it a good cleaning and see how it looks. The grill is in otherwise excellent shape so I dug through my scrap...

RV Update / Upgrade Thread

I had mentioned on one of my threads (Purchasing 46.5 Acres Near Kingman, AZ) that I had the inverter/charger fail on the RV while camping. Its a Prosine 2.0 made by Xantrex and lasted about 15 years so I can't complain. I purchased a new unit from Xantrex and its being shipped. Most of the camping I do is dry or boondocking. RV has 600 watt solar system along with the inverter so it does very well for extended stays off grid. I pulled the old unit out and don't like the way the...

Stic-o's Hybrid Travel Trailer

We picked up a few weeks ago a new to Hybrid Travel Trailer. We liked the Pop Up, but it just didn't work for us. Can't stop anywhere and just sleep for a few hours, or run back to the bathroom, or grab a cold drink. We also don't stay in one place very long most of the time, and it's gets old real quick setting up the pop up after 10-12 hrs of driving just for the night. This just another step in our road to a motorhome, but will do for now.

2005 Flagstaff (Forest River) Shamrock 19'...

Trailmanor

I had an almost impossible list of requirements to get a trailer: (1) must be short enough to fit in our driveway. (2) must have a 3 piece washroom with holding tanks. (3) have hard sides. (4) ability to sleep 5. I found it, but it has a very special and dedicated following, the Trailmanor.

For some reason, I can't figure out how to post images from my computer, so all I can do is post links to factory images: Videos

Set up is truly simple. It takes more time to level, attach...

Stic-o's Pop-Up Trailer

Last year I sold my Truck and Camper, as it was just getting to tight for the family. The plan was to get a Class C motorhome, but it's just not in the cards with the world in it's current state. So we decided to do a trailer for now, for the family. Yes, I know I tow two things at once, but this is a stepping stone for us so we can still do some traveling as a family.

So on to the details. This is as big as they come in the pop up world. It huge! 20 ft. long closed, at 3500 lbs. dry...

camp stove issues

I am still old school in the fact that I do most of my camp cooking on a coleman green propane 2 burner stove. The last couple times I used it, however, I noticed that it only burned on one setting... hellfire. I tried a new regulator and am having the same issue. Has anyone else dealt with this and know where I should start poking around to fix it? I hate to buy another as it has been a good stove.

Thanks in advance!

Adventure trailer build thread.

Rated "I/A" for Immature Adult content! Stop, and close this page if you can't handle Silly, foul, and obnoxious adult content!

Intro:
This is not a common build here on this forum, but this build is part of another long term build, that has been going on for 10 years now. I feel it is fitting to share this build here, since so much of it's companion is documented on EF. This thread is as detailed as my patience has allowed. I want to be able to help others that...

Back