Tow Rig Forum | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tow Rig Forum

Towing, hauling, boats, campers, trailers etc... Trailer hitches, weight distribution, hitch ball, safety chains, tow bar and brake controllers. Discuss it all here!
I found a great article on www.etrailer.com here. Trailer Brake Controllers An electric trailer brake controller is a device that supplies power from a vehicle to a trailer's electric brakes. There are two types of electric brake controllers - Time Delay Activated ("solid state") and Proportional ("pendulum style"). Although the controllers' methods are different, both types of controllers are very similar. Both allow the user to adjust output or braking power. Both have a pressure sensitive manual override trigger that can be used to apply the trailer brakes independent of the vehicle brakes. Both have the same wiring configuration. Time Delay Activated Solid state controllers are "enabled" by the brake pedal switch and apply...
I've been looking through the tow rig forum and I realized that though many many threads mention Weight distribution hitches and even recommend them, not one of them goes into what they are, or how they work. Though I do not claim to be an expert on the subject I am aware of the concept of what makes them work. I'm also aware that anyone can look it up on Google (as i did). But this is the tow rig forum, there should be a place to go for simple questions like this. As I'm retired, and have the time, I decided to do the work for you busy busy working people and post it right here, easy to find and read. So enough explanations... on to the answers 1) What is a Weight Distributing Hitch? In simple terms, a WDH is just what the name...
I saw this post in the Expedition Forum and thought it would be helpful here as well. Many people have no idea how to determine what their vehicle can tow. Using your owners manual or manufacturers towing guide is the best way to get an idea. You may even find the info you need on a sticker in the glovebox, on the inside edge of your door, or under the hood. There are many factors which determine your vehicles towing ability like wheelbase, engine size, rear axle ratio, etc. There are also alot of terms out there that can be very confusing. So I have put together this list to help you understand their meanings. GVW: Gross Vehicle Weight - the actual weight of a vehicle. GVWR: Gross Vehicle Weight Rating: The maximum allowed GVW for...
I found a class III Reese hitch on an Ex at the Pick 'n Pull but i didnt have the proper size socket to get the darn thing off! does anybody know what size bolt this hitch uses so I can buy the socket and hopefully make it down again before it "disapears"?(its bigger than 7/8 BTW) while i was there i also pulled a bucket seat from a 96 or so Probe to make my office chair out of, i'll post pics when i'm done the chair. Cheers!
Anyone have any experience towing with an 06 V8? All I have towed so far is our snowmobile trailer to the UP from Chicago. Weight was around 1500 lbs with a decent wind load since it was enclosed. As I expected it towed well and I could leave it in 6th gear. This weekend I will be towing our boat to the summer home, it weights around 4000 lbs. Am I still going to be able to tow in OD? Is the trans smart enough to stay in 5th gear if it is searching too much?
I just purchased a used 2006 limited 4x4 with the V8. The car has the trailer towing package including hitch and 7 pin connector. I need to tow a trailer with electric brakes. Does the X have a built in trailer brake controller or do I need to add one. Does it have a plug wired for a controller if it needs one? I have used the search function and can't find any answers. Please help!
I have a 97 Sport 4 wheel dr 4.0 SOHC which is in exelent condition with 87,00 miles on it. There has never been any major repairs except AC work ($950). I have a 16' travel trailer that I have always towed with my 88 Silverado. I am going to sell the pickup and am thinking about putting a receiver hitch with equalizer and sway bars on Ex and towing with it. The trailer empty weight is a little less than 1000 pounds so with everything it takes to go camping I would guess weight would be around 1300 pounds. I think I would have plenty of power and don't think the Ex would have any problems towing the trailer. What I am concerned with is the extra strain and wear on Tranny. I realize an Auto Tranny does not last forever and am...
Ok, so I need some sort of tow kit or something for my 00 X.. I honestly don't know much about trucks, but i'm trying to learn, so bear with me. I don't know what I'm even looking for. The tow kits themselves don't look like enough stuff, I feel like I'll need more than just a hitch and a few other things the kits come with. My truck is all stock except for a 3" BL, will that make a difference? (tires are 31s, so that's not much different than stock) Any help would be much appreciated.
I have an '06 Ford Explorer (V8 2WD Limited :) ) with the bigger (class III?) towing hitch. Vehicle came with that little wiring connector/pigtail harness and I now want to connect that to a Reese POD trailer brake controller. The controller has 4 wires coming out of it and I'm pretty sure I've matched up the wires correctly (as follows): Ford harness wires: blue from trailer brake controller violet/white stop light to brake controller red fused brake controller battery feed (+12) black/white ground brown head lamp switch for running lights Reese POD controller wires: blue trailer brakes red stop light black +12 white ground Connections: harness controller blue blue controller output...
I am building a new home, so I have to move. I got a good friend that owns a 16 or 18 foot tandem axle trailer. Will my explorer pull it fine or should I not. !98 ex with v6. Pretty much a stock explorer. I don't have anything terribly heavy to move just the usual couches, tables, and beds. thanks:D
Since the factory bumpers on Explorers is inherently weak, often and easily bent by overloading, a trailer hitch is vital. There are several options, many brands and styles. Round Tube? Square? Rectangular? Full Size Spare or Not? I have seen some really poorly made ones, that hang way down from the bumper and look terrible. I had a round tube that was contoured with the bumper, then upgraded to a DrawTite that had a heavier rating. The best site that I have found so far has been www.etrailer.com, they have every style available and a nice web site. I would like people's opinions and experiences with fame hitches so others can see.
This doesn't really count as towing, but here it is: Our forklift broke at work today, and we needed to move a trailer with a boat on it across the yard. I hooked up the X, pulled it out of the space, and backed it to the other side of the yard. I thought the boat was around 4000#, but when I looked it up later today I found that it was probably between 6000# and 7000#. :eek: The rear axle was about 1.5" below the bump stops with it loaded, and the leaves were perfectly flat. The rear tires bulged out a bit at the bottom, but the truck felt fine. So, what's the heaviest/biggest thing you've towed?
I want to add additional backup lamps, just wondering if I can tap into the grey trailer harness behind the rear bumper(has never had trailer hooked up) and will everything work, or do I need additional fuses or relays to make the wires back there work. Any laws on adding extra lamps back there usually? if anyone else planning on doing it check YOUR (not mine:p:) local laws "Backup lamps 4.18 (1) A vehicle may be equipped with not more than 2 backup lamps, mounted on the rear of the vehicle, that are capable of displaying only white light to the rear of the vehicle. (2) A backup lamp must illuminate only when the vehicle is in reverse gear. [en. B.C. Reg. 476/98, s. 2.]" this is for BC canada
The weather resistant trailer light plug included in the factory towing package is a good idea but it has several sortcommings. Neither my boat or my pop-up camper plug fit very well without either trimming rubber off the plug or just being a pain in the butt to plug in. And the location under the bumper makes hook up in the dark difficult since you pretty much have to be down on the ground with a flashlight to get the trailer plugged in. I decided that I needed to install a 6 pin round connector to make life easier. I purchesed the new 6pin round socket with the correct mounting bracket and my original intent was to mount it in the same location as the factory connector. Even though I find this location less than optimal, I...
Back