Tow Rig Forum | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tow Rig Forum

Towing, hauling, boats, campers, trailers etc... Trailer hitches, weight distribution, hitch ball, safety chains, tow bar and brake controllers. Discuss it all here!
I found a great article on www.etrailer.com here. Trailer Brake Controllers An electric trailer brake controller is a device that supplies power from a vehicle to a trailer's electric brakes. There are two types of electric brake controllers - Time Delay Activated ("solid state") and Proportional ("pendulum style"). Although the controllers' methods are different, both types of controllers are very similar. Both allow the user to adjust output or braking power. Both have a pressure sensitive manual override trigger that can be used to apply the trailer brakes independent of the vehicle brakes. Both have the same wiring configuration. Time Delay Activated Solid state controllers are "enabled" by the brake pedal switch and apply...
I've been looking through the tow rig forum and I realized that though many many threads mention Weight distribution hitches and even recommend them, not one of them goes into what they are, or how they work. Though I do not claim to be an expert on the subject I am aware of the concept of what makes them work. I'm also aware that anyone can look it up on Google (as i did). But this is the tow rig forum, there should be a place to go for simple questions like this. As I'm retired, and have the time, I decided to do the work for you busy busy working people and post it right here, easy to find and read. So enough explanations... on to the answers 1) What is a Weight Distributing Hitch? In simple terms, a WDH is just what the name...
I saw this post in the Expedition Forum and thought it would be helpful here as well. Many people have no idea how to determine what their vehicle can tow. Using your owners manual or manufacturers towing guide is the best way to get an idea. You may even find the info you need on a sticker in the glovebox, on the inside edge of your door, or under the hood. There are many factors which determine your vehicles towing ability like wheelbase, engine size, rear axle ratio, etc. There are also alot of terms out there that can be very confusing. So I have put together this list to help you understand their meanings. GVW: Gross Vehicle Weight - the actual weight of a vehicle. GVWR: Gross Vehicle Weight Rating: The maximum allowed GVW for...
i do a ton of camping, 4-5 trips a year. I am so sick and tired of putting up and taking down the tent that i am going to build a teardrop trailer. What do you guys think? I will probably need a trailer with at least a 1,500lbs capacity to start. These photos are not mine, but this build up will give you the basic idea The Truck with a Heart
Since the factory bumpers on Explorers is inherently weak, often and easily bent by overloading, a trailer hitch is vital. There are several options, many brands and styles. Round Tube? Square? Rectangular? Full Size Spare or Not? I have seen some really poorly made ones, that hang way down from the bumper and look terrible. I had a round tube that was contoured with the bumper, then upgraded to a DrawTite that had a heavier rating. The best site that I have found so far has been www.etrailer.com, they have every style available and a nice web site. I would like people's opinions and experiences with fame hitches so others can see.
I've got a 2006 Ranger 4x4 automatic 4.0 liter with 4.10 axle. Specs say can tow about 5500 lbs. I want to rent a trailer to tow a car. Car weighs 3150 lbs. Empty trailer wt is 2210 lbs. Total = 5360. U-Haul requires the vehicle weigh at least 80% of combined wt of trailer and towed vehicle (80% of 5360 is 4288 lbs). The curb weight of my Ranger, I think, is about 4700 lbs. Despite all that, Uhaul checked their computer and said no. I called an independent trailer rental shop, and they also said no-- would only rent auto transport trailers for a Full Size pickup. The guy said it would burn up my transmission and would be unsafe. So why do the Ford specs say I can pull 5500 lbs?
When towing, your transmission can generate extra heat from the load. Heat kills automatic transmissions. Adding coolers will help, but how do you know if the transmission is overheating? A transmission temperature gauge! I installed a gauge I bought at the local parts store. The key to a temperature gauge for the transmission is range. A good range for the gauge is 100-300 degrees. Most gauges I found started above 100, but my transmission sometimes runs below that. The recommended running temp is about 150 degrees, so if the gauge starts above that, it won't be very effective. The gauge was a fairly easy installation- a single wire from the sending unit to the gauge in the cab. The gauge needs a +12v source, preferably switched...
Hey!!! I give my regards to all. Im live in Argentina, and speak spanish, but I try understood in english. I´ve got an EXPLORER XLT, 4.0 OHV, 4x2, build in USA in May´98 and sold in Argentina at Feb´99. I need to know if some of you can give mi a wiring diagram for the connection of boat´s trailer. I await your answer, and escusse my english.
Summary 02-05 Explorer Trailer Wiring I have continued to learn about the topic -- adapting 02 and newer Explorers for 7-pin trailer wiring. Much of what I have learned came from this forem by searching old posts. To help the next person who comes along, I now share what I have learned. The 02 to 05 Explorers are pre-wired for 7-pin trailer wiring. I assume 06 and 07 probably are as well. The stock 02 -05 Explorer comes with a 1.25 inch class 2 reciever hitch. It is easy to install a 2 inch, class 3 reciever hitch. Good looking after market units are availible from on-line retailers for just over $100. They bolt right on. This gives the added benifit of now having both types on your rig. One can for instance, tow a trailer with...
Sorry for another trailer wiring question, but I just didn't see the answer I was looking for. Here's the facts. I just have a little 4x8 utility tilt-trailer. Running lights work, blinkers work, brakes do not. I checked all fuses and they all lit up with my test light. I installed a brand new wiring kit (new lights and wires) due to multiple splices and it just looked like the old one was in bad shape. I have probed the connector behind the driver tail-light and have 3 hot (for the colored wires) and 1 ground (for the white). Probed along the extension that gets the wires out through the tailgate. All have juice. Probed wires just after 4-pin connection-all have juice. Started probing along driver side the yellow (brake) and...
so from what i have been reading, explorers have trailer plug whether you have a tow package or not and that wire is suppose to be tucked under the bumper. unfortunately, i cannot find mine anywhere. i have slid under the explorer and searched the entire bumper for it and well its not there. was wondering if anyone could point me in some kind of direction? maybe im just not looking in the right spot or something.
Hi guys looking for some clarification here. Just looking through the owner manuals at https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/owners_manuals/results.asp and finally came across the towing capacity for the 4.6L Class III/IV towing package. is it true that this model is capable of towing 11600 pounds? if so, i was wondering if anyone knew the towing capacity of the 4.6L Class III/IV towing package on the 2003 & 2004 model? as the owner manuals dont show any loading or towing details for all models before 2005. or are all gen 3 explorers around the same ratings? Thanks in advance for your time. Bonz.
I bought a harness that plugs into the factory "tow package" connector under the back of my 2000 xlt. The connector didn't match perfectly to the factory one,one of the little nubs that lines up the connector was off by a little bit.I trimmed off the nub and the connector fit perfect. The problem is when i check the new flat four plug with a meter ,it shows no power.The fuse is good. Is this a viable way of checking the plug? What else can i check? Thanks guys.
Guys I am new here and not sure if this is the right place to post this or not. I also know that there might be a few threads out there already but could not find them. I have an 09 Ford Explorer (or the wife does) and I need to wire up a 7 pin trailer plug set up on the explorer to pull a enclosed trailer. The dealer says Ford does not make a plug and go wire loom for this. I was wondering if one for a different year model would work or if there was one out there I could buy after market. I hope someone besides me has run into this problem and fixed it. Thanks in advance for any help.
Back