Tow Rig Forum | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tow Rig Forum

Towing, hauling, boats, campers, trailers etc... Trailer hitches, weight distribution, hitch ball, safety chains, tow bar and brake controllers. Discuss it all here!
Ok so I was out messing with some small LED light strips I got. Needed to find out how to hook them up so I could use them as turn signals. I was about to take out the tail lights and thought why not use the trailer plug!! SO I stripped back the cover on the green wire and hooked up the right side LED strip, grounded it and bam she worked!! SO I figure the yellow one was for the left side...yup guessed correct!! so now I have what looks like the "Fire" LED strip or whatever its called lol Looks Wicked! I'll try to get some pics or a video posted soon! BTW this was my first attempt at donig ANY kind of electrical on my truck!!
I have an 01' mounty 5.0l awd and pull a travel trailer with it. I'm curious if anybody has tried the wind deflector wings that mount on the roof? do they do anything? they are supposed to help with gas mpg and with the trailer handeling. I have a set up very similar to mountian greens in this thread; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176963&page=1
I was hoping to wire my winch that is on my car hauler direct to the 7 pin (round) trailer plug on my '06 Limited with a factory class 3 hitch. Is this possible? My winch manual states I should put a 50A "circuit breaker" on the hot side of it's wiring and I think the Explorer has a 30A under the hood but I am not sure if all the power goes through that circuit or just the lights and brakes. Thanks.
Okay well here's a little DIY for any of you out there that want a winch on ur explorer but don't know how to attach it! I contemplated many ideas and here's what i came up with. I bought a simple 6000Lb Winch, nothing crazy, just enough to pull a buddy out of some snow or sand or get myself out of trouble when I'm out on the beach alone. First i bent some 1/4 inch plate steel, no break needed just stuck it in a vice, warmed it up and banged away until i achieved 90 degrees. Then i measured the width between them when installed on the chase and cut and welded a peice of 1\4 Wall 2" Square tubing. After that i cut some triangles out to weld into the corners to add some extra strength. Finished... After...
I bought a brand new 9500 pound winch 3 days ago and after getting it all set up I am having some issues. The main issue is simple-it doesn't get enough power to spool. Not to pull anything, I'm talking to wind the cord back on to itself while under no load. When I hit the in switch the lights inside the truck turn off the headlights dim the engine almost stalls and the battery terminals glow red. Now I know these things draw a lot of power but I have a brand new 950 Cca battery and thought while the truck was running this would be fine. After research it seems most people with this problem use 2 batteries instead of just the one. Anyone have any suggestions other than that?
2004 mounty v8 AWD. BFG M/T's I have a Reese Class III/4 tow hitch for my Mounty. I have a reese ball mount with a 5 1/2 " drop, however I flipped it upside down for towing, since my aftermarket tow-bar is Very low.... I've towed a jetski with it before...no problems. Can you safely use a 5 1/2 " dropped ball mount in reverse? Is it safe to tow with mud tires? (i was conerned the weld would break on the ball mount....) I have to tow my mustang tomorrow, 2 hour trip, i expect to hit occasional traffic. Approx. weight of the car is 3000lbs or lighter.... Im renting a U-haul Tow Dolly..... Any problems here???? Heres pics, incase you're alittle lost. Should i maybe just use a Regular Straight Ball mount instead?
Greetings Explorations, Got a few questions about my 2017 XLT 4x4. I want to pull a dual axle "load runner" 6x12 box trailer. My XLT did "not" come with factory installed towing, however was pre-installed with the electric brake adapter. I have personally installed the Ford Accessories Class 1 (2" Trailer Hitch) and Prodigy 3 Brake Controller connecting it directly under the dash as well as a 7-way Plug for Electric brakes in the back. The controller instantly recognizes when the trailer is connected. Does this confirm I have the bigger radiator and trans cooler? Or just confirmed I was pre-wired for electric brake control? Advertised dry weight of the Load Runner is 1680 lbs. I know the Ford Accessories Hitch is...
I have a 1999 ford explorer 4.0 sohc 4 door 4x4 with 373 gears and a tranny cooler with class 3 Reese hitch and brake controller i was wondering if it could pull are a trailer weighing on the high end 4200 it is a 16 foot Hallmark V nose steel it would be on a 50 mile trip one way mild hills on the way back also it does have electric brakes
We’re looking into getting a 17’ or 18’ Forest River "Roo" Hybrid Travel Trailer. The 17’ ROO has a GVWR of 3,860, and the 18’ has a GVWR of 4,475. We are also considering a Ford Explorer with a tow package and towing capacity of 5,000. We are planning many camping trips, to include a trip across the US, which would entail towing through the mountains. So will the Explorer with the 5,000 towing capacity work, or will we need to step up to the Explorer with the 7,000 towing capacity? Thank you
I am about to purchase a 2010 24' Keystone Bullet Ultra-Lite Travel Trailer. The shipping weight of this trailer is 4370 lbs. with a carrying capacity of 2105 lbs. I own a 2009 Ford Explorer 4X4 with a 4.0 liter engine (6 cylinder). I have an after market heavy duty tow package (3500lb hitch with 350lb tounge) on the back. (Note: The RV Dealer has mentioned that special hitches can be used to distribute weight. There is a great break system with the Bullet and other stablizing/sway features that will make for a smooth ride.) Inside the driver door of my Explorer it lists the GVWR as 6790 lbs. This Keystone Bullet is marketed as being one of the best light weight travel trailers on the market. Sleek aerodynamic design, twin axle...
Hey guys, so last night I was talking with my dad who has a 2005 vw touareg v8, and I was complaining that my explorer had a v6 and could only tow 5000 when my dad told me that the v6 touareg could tow the same as the v8 (7700) so I was just wondering what the difference between the v6 and the v8 are that hold it back from those extra 2000 lbs of towing?
I just bought a 2002 Explorer XLS. It has a tiny 1.25" receiver on it. Yesterday, I was walking through a parking lot and saw 3 other 2002 or newer explorers,......they all had the tiny receiver as well. What's up with that? fortunately, I'm only occasionally pulling a folding harbor frieght trailer with a motorcycle on it,.....so, no problem there. Just seems strange that an SUV this large would have such a wimpy receiver.
Back