Tow Rig Forum | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tow Rig Forum

Towing, hauling, boats, campers, trailers etc... Trailer hitches, weight distribution, hitch ball, safety chains, tow bar and brake controllers. Discuss it all here!
I'm in the process of doing my SAS, V8 conversion on my 2003 Sport Trac. The rig will be street legal but just barely and it won't be the best for highway use (to get out to the trails further away). I don't have a trailer and so I would like to flat tow my truck behind my 2013 Toyota Tacoma BAJA 4wd doublecab short bed. I have a heavy duty tow bar with safety chains already. More info on my trail/ street rig. 2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT. I'm in the process of the following setup: 351w, C6 trans, 1356 manual transfercase from a 1989 Ford F-250 Dana 44 front solid axle from a 1989 Grand Waggy (going to have either 4.10 or 4.56 gears, selectable locker eventually) Ford 8.8 rear solid axle from a 1999 Explorer V8 AWD...
Hey all- I have a 99' XLT 4.0 SOHC 4x4. I used to have a wiring harness hanging off the bumper with a 4 prong flat connector on it with a rubber cover. The dog has since decided it is a toy and ripped it apart. My brother-in-law has a 2008 XLT 4x4 v6 with a ford hitch on it and he has a neat little 4 prong flat connector built into the bumper with a bracket. I called the Ford dealer and they said there were all sorts of harnesses depending if it has backup sensors/or what other options it has and they didn't know which one it was. Can I just get his VIN and run it? Does anyone know more details on this?
I would like to buy a used Explorer/Mountaineer/Aviator in the near future with a few things in mind: 1. Daily driver for the wife and kids, 3rd row seating 2. AWD 3. I want to be able to tow! I think what I need to tow may max out any Explorer. I'd need to be able to tow a carhauler tandem axle trailer with my Bronco II on it. I'd estimate close to 6k lbs. Trailer has brakes. I also load this trailer with 4 quads (big ones), estimate of 4.5k lbs. And in the winter 3 snowmobiles occupy the trailer, 4.5k lbs. I'm leaning towards a 2002-2005 4.6L AWD with tow package. Is this the Explorer to get that can tow the best out of the box? I'd be willing to modify if necessary to accommodate a higher towing capacity.
So this is not a new thread asking where the connector to plug in the controller. I already know that it's behind the glove box in my 2002 4-door SUV - I've looked and seen it there. I'm curious to know where people mount the controller in the cabin. Obviously it needs to be within reach (and preferably view) of the driver's seat, but knee space is at a premium for me. Has anyone put it on the underside of the steering column? Is that a good or bad spot for it? I've taken everybody's advice and ordered a Tekonsha, but since everyone's advice was a few years old (saw threads as old as 08), I went with the Primus IQ, which is an updated version of the favored Prodigy. My thinking is that since the Primus unit has a cradle that it...
I have a 2005 Explorer with the basic tow package which has been great. But i noticed today after getting the trailer out of storage i had no lights on the trailer. I checked everything and then noticed that where the weather has been really bad here, snow ice etc building up behind the back wheel the snow and ice has ripped the connector and wires out from the tow wire. Basically if you look at this link http://www.hopkinstowingsolutions.com/doc/40335.pdf i have b and c they look good but i have lost connector 'a' and just have 3 wires hanging down so what do i do. Should I splice 'b' and connect it 'a' or can i buy the connector 'a' from somewhere? Where would i buy it and what is it called....thanks
Hello--I might buy a custom travel trailer with a truck axle and heavy springs. I would like to tow 4000lb plus the trailer. So figure around 4400lb total. My explorer has a towing capacity of 5680lb. One of my concerns is stopping safely. Even though my truck can tow that trailer, can it stop it? Is there a weight threshold that suggest it might be a good idea to have electric brakes? Thank you. Leo
Hi guys Im new here, my name is Raf, Im looking to buy a 2000 Explorer Eddie Bauer v8 AWD tomorrow. Plan is to drive it as my daily driver and tow my Mustang to the track and back. I have a few questions about this truck; does anyone know what the towing rating is for the truck? and any common issues and problems I need to look at Here is a pic from the for sale ad, the truck is pretty clean other than a small rust spot on the drivers side rear quarter panel which I can fix.
Back