Tow Rig Forum | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tow Rig Forum

Towing, hauling, boats, campers, trailers etc... Trailer hitches, weight distribution, hitch ball, safety chains, tow bar and brake controllers. Discuss it all here!
Hi, I would like to rent a RV trailer next year to go on a camping trip with my family to Jasper and Banff. I found a renter offering a trailer which I think is offering enough space for a family of 4. My question to you: the trailer weighs about 3900 lbs (empty). Our 2017 Explorer has a Class 3 tow package and I'm going to add an additional Brake Controller and I will use an equalizer hitch. What are you thinking - is our Explorer capable of towing a trailer like that? What are your experiences? Feedback is much appreciated. Thanks, Oliver
Considering vehicles for towing a travel trailer roughly 21 ft long / dry weight <3,500 lbs, will be used for long distance trips through mountainous areas, etc. Fuel efficiency is important to me, so I prefer this midsize model over larger. But I also want to be sure it can more than just "do" the job, it can do it well enough without struggling up inclines and putting too much stress on the engine. Anyone handled a situation like this and have some insight or advice?
Our Mountaineer has been a great family vehicle, whether towing or not. Very capable for it's size, and handles our travel trailer very well (~5200 lbs loaded). What I can't stand is that the OD lockout button forces the 6sp-auto down to 4th gear (locks out 5th and 6th). The majority of the time when towing, 5th gear would be perfect. If I lock into 4th gear, the rpms seem too high, and from my Scangauge, I know I have more available torque, and could get better gas mileage. Left in 6th (full-auto), it may or may not start hunting, forcing me to allow the speed to reduce to avoid downshifting on even small hills. In the end, I usually leave OD functioning, and avoid using cruise control unless it's a calm day and very flat. What...
I've got a 2017 XLT with the factory Class III Tow package and Appearance Package (20" wheels). Trying to figure out what drop and length I should get for my hitch. I'll only be hauling occasionally (u-hauls or possibly tandem axle utility trailers). From what I can see online, a lot of trailers have a coupler height of 17-18 inches (don't have one of my own anymore to measure). Top of my hitch receiver was about 22.5 inches, so I'm guessing I should get a 4 inch drop. If I need to account for some sag once the trailer is connected, I may need to go with a 2-3" drop. I'm also wondering what hitch length I should get (haven't been able to find as much advice on how to determine this). I'll probably go with a 2 inch ball since that...
Hey guys I'm a newb to Explorers and I have a question about the back up alarm on my 2017 XLT. To date, I haven't towed anything but on July 4th I mounted a flag pole and naturally, when in reverse, the alarm went off because it was just a foot or so from my bumper. I wondered if I had a trailer with a harness hooked up that would turn off the alarm because I imagine backing up a trailer with that alarm sounding would be very annoying. Now, IF having a harness connected does turn the alarm off, is there a dummy plug of some sort I could connect just to override the reverse alarm for when I have my flag pole holder or cargo carrier on? Thanks for your input!
Like the title says, looking for a new custom built trailer. Looking for a 18'-20' trailer with a capacity of 8-9k lbs. My goals are to be able to load my diesel F250 or my 6300lb forklift w/ a load on the trailer. I have had a 2010 model 16ft car trailer the past 6 years and it has served me well other being a little short at times. Had a friend recently ask me to sell it to him since he really needed one and I honestly use mine about once a month. He offered me what I paid for it new so I couldn't resist. Basically used a car trailer for 6 years for the cost of a winch, 4 tires and a few lights (I always manage to smash them loading stuff up) I'm looking for recommendations for places that custom build trailers on the east coast. I...
Hi guys, I recently started towing a 2006 starcraft centennial popup with my 2006 mountaineer v8 premier. I installed the class 3 hitch, added the seven pin plug, setup trailer brake controller and installed a weight distribution hitch.. I think the setup works very well. The truck has 115000 miles and trans was not serviced to my knowledge. On our last trip I started getting the rumble strip feel. Trans shop is gonna do a rebuild for me as there is metal in the fluid and I want it right and try to get another three years out of her if I can. He also said he would put a better cooler on it for good measure. My questions is trans temp monitoring. I am considering using the dash commander app. but I am going crazy to find what...
I have a 2004 Sport Trac 4.0. It has a factory transmission cooler but I was told by a transmission shop that because of age and trans being rebuilt I need another transmission cooler because original is probably full of junk and clogged. Question, do I need to remove the old one or just add a new one in line with the original?
I have a 96 EB and I know there was a trailer harness at one time. Previous owner gave away a wheelchair lift on the back of it, and the people who took it, took part/all of the harness. When I went looking today, I could find nothing of it. I did find a strange looking connector (see below) and a wiring loom with a single red wire going to the engine compartment. Any advice or what I need to start would be most helpful and appreciated
just bought an 04 Sport Trac with 143000 on the clock. I bought it to tow an Aliner pop up trailer that weighs in between 12 and 15 hundred pounds loaded. (no scales around here) It has electric brakes by the way. I love the truck and think its up to the job.It has the OD lock out and Trans cooler, only had a ball on the bumper so I'm adding a 2" class 111 receiver and electric brake controller. Tranny was rebuilt 1 year ago and has a tranny cooler. Stopped at a Trans shop and they told me because the trans was rebuilt I need to change the cooler because junk from the tranny will have clogged it, does that sound right? So far I've had to put new tires on it and rebuild some of the front end. I'm ordering a class 111 receiver for it and...
Just thought I would share what I usually tow with. It's a 1971 International Harvester 1210 pickup. It has an IH 392 engine with a 5 speed trans. PTO winch in the rear and electric winch in the front, both come in handy. It also has an electric trailer brake controller. The trailer is a 2016 Snake River 18' trailer made in Idaho. photo sharing sites screen shot image hosting 30 mb screen shot on pc
Back