Tow Rig Forum | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tow Rig Forum

Towing, hauling, boats, campers, trailers etc... Trailer hitches, weight distribution, hitch ball, safety chains, tow bar and brake controllers. Discuss it all here!
Considering vehicles for towing a travel trailer roughly 21 ft long / dry weight <3,500 lbs, will be used for long distance trips through mountainous areas, etc. Fuel efficiency is important to me, so I prefer this midsize model over larger. But I also want to be sure it can more than just "do" the job, it can do it well enough without struggling up inclines and putting too much stress on the engine. Anyone handled a situation like this and have some insight or advice?
OK, so U-Haul does not rent trailers to people using an Explorer as a towing vehicle. However, I have a need for a trailer from time to time and am looking for a company that will rent a small trailer for my use. I have tried Ryder and Budget....seems they don't have this information available on their websites. I have seen these trailers on the road...where online can I get information on renting from them. I need small (5x10 - 6x12) traliers for my uses. Can anyone help me?? :us:
I just bought a pop-up trailer (1700 lbs dry weight, probably 2200 - 2400 loaded with gear). Then I bought a 2003 SportTrac to tow it. It came with a receiver hitch on it. I towed it recently (unloaded to service center to get some work done on trailer) on fairly flat ground and then on the way home, through some hills. On flat ground with overdrive off it ran around 3200 RPM's and really seemed like it wanted to go to overdrive. I turned OD on and it towed fine (2100 RPM’s), only once slipping down into 4th on a slight incline. Through the hills I kept the OD off and it still ran around 3200 RPM but had more power pulling up the hills. My question is can I tow in OD on flat ground?
Well the time has come. We've been negotiating, got the loan approved, but I'd feel a lot better if I got the opinions of some of the folks here who have done more towing with explorers than I have. here are the specs of the trailer. 17FQ Hitch Weight 298 lbs. UVW 2731 lbs. GVWR 3518 lbs. CCC 770 lbs. Exterior Length 21' 4" Exterior Height 9' 8" Exterior Width 88" Fresh Water 33 gal. Gray Water 25 gal. Black Water 25 gal. Awning Size 10 ft http://www.coachmenrv.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=63&Image=6731 Here is a link to the trailer manufacturer. We're getting a 2014 model but the specs haven't changed. What do you all think? Will the 2000 Eddie Bauer 5.0 pull it? I've swapped from the AWD to a...
Have a '97 SOHC V6 XLT with tow package (original owner). Bought a 6x10 Haulmark trailer to get one or two motorcyles to the racetrack. Pic below. Used it for the first time the other day, about 80miles each direction. Seemed to work well. Kept OD off and speeds to <55mph. I recognize that it would be prudent to add a brake controller. The trailer has an upgraded Dexter torsion axle and electric brakes + 7-pin connector. I have my eye on a Tekonsha P3. Does the '97 Explorer have a pre-wired controller socket to tap into?? If not, any tips to share on installing a controller into this generation? BK
Wanted some input from fellow 4x4 and Explorer haulers regarding a prospectus Coleman pop trailer we are considering purchasing. The coleman pop tent has a unloaded Gross weight of Box Size Classification 12ft t Gross Vehicle Weight Rating 3,500 lbs Unloaded Vehicle Weight 2,655 lbs Unloaded Hitch Weight 160 lbs I assume with water and fuel and food and kids for the most part we will be right at the 3500 lbs for most trips if not 4,000. The Tow vehicle is also my 4x4 toy so it has the following specs: 33x12.5x15 MTR's 4.10 Gears Transmission cooler Stock Tran Gauage 107k miles Things that i have considered might need to be done: ReGear 4.88 Larger Tran cooler? (have read that dodge...
Hello. I am a new member today. Took a ride in my sons Explorer and liked the feel and the ride. His is a 5L XLS, 4 dr with tow package. Now, what model and specs would be best in a 1999-2002, for very occasional use to pull my horse trailer, which is a fairly light bumper pull 2 horse weighing 3400 lbs empty. Don't usually have more than one passenger and my cattledog; don't usually go far from home (30 kms) but want to do the odd horse or pony delivery which could be anywhere in Ontario. Don't have to hurry or go fast, just want steady and reliable. Horses weigh up to 1500 lbs, ponies much less. Would prefer under a 5L engine for gas consumption, but don't want to destroy it because its not up to the job either. You...
Hey Everyone, I Have an 2008 XLT, 4.6 Liter, AWD with 3.55s. I was told that this thing would pull my Enclosed 6x10 with complete ease, and with it completely loaded it weighs around 2200. When I am in town I can barely tell that its even hooked up, but as soon as I hit the Highway its like I am pulling a semi trailer. I just do not get it, everything on it is new, no codes except the P1000 and it just acts like its weak as hell. Changed the in like fuel filter a few weeks ago only to find that it was filthy as all hell, never seen one this dirty, and now that it is clean again the truck runs completely different. I was excited to see if it pulled the trailer better once I changed that but it does not, its just a dog. The transmission...
Hi Guys this looks like the place I might get some correct answers from so here it goes. I have a 2007 Ranger LevelII supercab with an Automatic transmission, I just purchased a Grey Wolf 19' travel trailer, the dry weight is 3700lbs do you think I will have problems towing this puppy? Thanks in advance for any insight.
...I rented a U-Haul trailer with my mom's truck (Ford Expedition), and came home and transferred the U-Haul to my Explorer? I'm asking because I will be planning to move around this time next year, and I'd like to know if I show up at my final destination and the U-Haul people see the trailer behind the Explorer, there wouldn't be an issue. I'm not too crazy about U-Haul with the whole Explorer ban thing, but I know of no other company that rents trailers one-way, and IMO the Explorer ban is really a scam so that people like me have to rent both a truck and a car trailer to move one-way.
Below is a collection of stats for Class III and IV hitches that fit a 1999 Explorer (drilling is always required for '91-'94 Ex'es). I am in search of a hitch that I can easily modify (i.e. not weld) so it doesn't look as unsightly with my 3" body lift. I have downloaded all of their Instructions to examine how they are built. Let me know if you want one posted. The only one that is "3-piece" is the Reese 37012. From the picture below, it looks like I can drill holes higher on the side brackets to lift the hitch. I can't tell how much higher, probably not 3", but even 1" would make a hitch with a body lift look much better. What do you guys think?
My husband has a 2004 Ford Explorer (XLS, I think), 4WD, 4.0 v6. We just purchased a 2013 Travel Lite Idea i15 (this isn't our trailer, but this lists some of the specs: http://www.beckleysrvs.com/marylandrvsales/Travel-Lite-/idea/Travel-Trailers.aspx) We were told by the dealer that my husband's vehicle would be able to tow it. They also suggested we add an equalizing hitch, with anti-sway bar, and break package. However, I've read some things in the last couple of days that have me concerned, and I'm hoping someone can help clear things up for me. We think the Explorer has a Class II hitch. Although, we're not really sure. DH did check and it has a 2"x2" receiver on it. It has a 7 pin connector. Someone told me earlier...
This doesn't really count as towing, but here it is: Our forklift broke at work today, and we needed to move a trailer with a boat on it across the yard. I hooked up the X, pulled it out of the space, and backed it to the other side of the yard. I thought the boat was around 4000#, but when I looked it up later today I found that it was probably between 6000# and 7000#. :eek: The rear axle was about 1.5" below the bump stops with it loaded, and the leaves were perfectly flat. The rear tires bulged out a bit at the bottom, but the truck felt fine. So, what's the heaviest/biggest thing you've towed?
Hi all. There is a really clean 93 Explorer xlt for sale near me, i think its a v6 its a 4 door i am interested, but i need a car that i can drive everyday, but it also must serve as a tow vehicle for a racecar and car trailer. Dose anyone know what the towing capacity is for this vehicle? I would probably be towing in the ballpark of like 4000 lbs (vehicle and trailer) I would really like to get this vehicle if it can fill my needs. thanks!
Hi all - First Day, Second post: How do I determine the rear axle ratio on my new-to-me 1999 EB 4x2 4 door 4.0 SOHC Explorer? I actually have the original sticker, and it doesn't mention anything about it. Also doesn't mention "Towing Package" or "Towing Option" which worries me a little. The step bumper has a placard that states it can carry a 3500# (350# tongue weight) trailer, but this model Explorer is supposed to be able to pull either a 4500#trailer (if it has a 3.55 rear end) or a 5900# trailer (with the 3.73 or 4.10 rear end), according to the owner's manual. I assume that I'll need to get a weight-distributing hitch to pull more than 3500#, regardless of which rear end it's got? Suggestions? Also, How do I find the hookup for...
Back