Tow Rig Forum | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tow Rig Forum

Towing, hauling, boats, campers, trailers etc... Trailer hitches, weight distribution, hitch ball, safety chains, tow bar and brake controllers. Discuss it all here!
I'd read about it, but hadn't encountered it till last weekend. Was going to look at a couple cheap cars for sale in a neighboring town, considering buying a car to flip. I called the U-Haul place in the town and asked about a tow dolly. He said "sure, I've got one. What are you going to be towing with it?" I said a small FWD car like a cavalier or a Focus. He said "oh yea, that'll work. What are you gonna tow it with?" I told him my 2000 Explorer and he quickly shut down and said "sorry, can't do it. U-Haul is afraid of being sued and has banned us from renting to anyone towing with any Explorer up to the 2010 models." I called the local U-Haul place and asked them (they are good friends and have always been straight with me). They...
The Explorer says that it has a 5,000 pound trailer limit, and a remarkably small 200 pound tongue weight limit. What is it that limits this? I have a 7,500 pound tractor and trailer that I tow around with my Ram 2500, and I wondered if the Explorer could handle it. Why would I ask about something clearly over the limit??? Because my truck is only rated to tow something like 10,000 pounds on the hitch, but I have regularly towed 14,000 without any problems, or cracks, and I have had the tongue weight of 4,000 pounds on it, which is clearly way over the limit, especially without a weight distributing hitch, and then had another 2,000 pounds in the bed. My point being is that things are generally way under-rated. My only concern would...
This is a basic writeup. I'll include any tips and explanations I can think of so that anyone with any level of wiring experience can install these. My truck has an 8ft bed and the way I installed everything, you cannot see any lights or wires (or the switch) without having your head below the bed rails. Hiding them was a priority for me, but I still wanted the switch to be easy to get to inside or outside the bed and obviously light up everything. 1M long light strip with switch 1M long light strip without switch 1. Determine where you want to mount the lights. If you use my version with the 39" long strips I would suggest just centering 1 on each side of the bed (8ft bed). Orient the lights so that the wires coming out of...
I'm have a weird electrical issue with my 2016 Explorer with the factory tow package. The right turn signal and brake light on the trailer work when the running lights are turned off, but not when the running lights are turned on. The RV dealer checked it with a test plug and all the light worked properly. The trailer has incandescent tail and clearance lights, so the current draw is a lot higher that the LEDs on the test plug. I assume the problem is with the converter that combines the separate brake and turn light on the Explorer to a single light on the trailer. I'm just curious if anyone else had a similar problem. Still in warranty so I'm going back to the dealer. Mike
Hello, I got a 2016 Explorer XLT with no tow package (didn't think about it when I got it). Now I want to install an aftermarket system. I read a few pages online and here, and it seems like these are the kits/parts I would need. CURT 13100 Class 3 Receiver Hitch - $113 CURT 56172 Multi-Color T-Connector And I would have the option to get a fascia as well to hide it, but this isn't a big concern for me: GB5Z-17K835-BA Could someone please give some suggestions/advice, and tell me if I'm missing anything? PS: I know this doesn't include the mount+ball, but those are easy to get items. I've also heard about transmission coolers, but they seem too complicated to install. I plan on towing 1 or 2 jet-skis with this...
I have a 98 Explorer (4.0 SOHC 2WD) with a Uhaul hitch (Max: 5,000lbs) installed. Overall, the truck is great and is mostly stock minus the a few items. I am thinking of buying a small 16' pontoon boat that'll weight about 2100lbs w/o gear and maybe 2300lbs with gear. I don't think I will have a problem towing the boat but loading and unloading the boat will be new to me. Has anyone had experience launching a boat and retrieving the boat with a 98 explorer? Is there anything i can do to this truck to make this task easier? Thanks.
Hi, I have a 2013 Explorer base model with out a tire package. I pull a small pop up camper that will soon have electric brakes. Under my dash I have the connector for a brake controller (4 wires in six pin plug). Can I use this to set up my brake controller? In the manual it shows there is a fuse in the engine compartment and under the dash. The under the dash fuse is there but the 30 amp in the engine compartment is missing. Why is there two? Thanks!
So my new explorer is rated at 5000lbs (has the factory tow package). So am I to understand that I need to subtract the weight of the Explorers occupants too? So thats about 700lbs + gear. So things in reality start to get down to about 4000lbs, then any gear or water in the Trailer, and its getting to maybe 3500 lbs, then I hear that you shouldn't really be towing any trailer past a certain length because of the relatively short wheelbase of an suv vs a pickup. Sooooooo in buying a travel trailer for my family that sleeps 2 adults and 3 kids are there any recommendations or does anybody have long term experience in hauling anything sizeable with no issues. Any help appreciated.
Back