Tow Rig Forum | Page 64 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tow Rig Forum

Towing, hauling, boats, campers, trailers etc... Trailer hitches, weight distribution, hitch ball, safety chains, tow bar and brake controllers. Discuss it all here!

I have a 97 Sport 4 wheel dr 4.0 SOHC which is in exelent condition with 87,00 miles on it. There has never been any major repairs except AC work ($950). I have a 16' travel trailer that I have always towed with my 88 Silverado. I am going to sell the pickup and am thinking about putting a receiver hitch with equalizer and sway bars on Ex and towing with it. The trailer empty weight is a little less than 1000 pounds so with everything it takes to go camping I would guess weight would be around 1300 pounds. I think I would have plenty of power and don't think the Ex would have any problems towing the trailer. What I am concerned with is the extra strain and wear on Tranny. I realize an Auto Tranny does not last forever and am...
Anyone have any experience towing with an 06 V8? All I have towed so far is our snowmobile trailer to the UP from Chicago. Weight was around 1500 lbs with a decent wind load since it was enclosed. As I expected it towed well and I could leave it in 6th gear. This weekend I will be towing our boat to the summer home, it weights around 4000 lbs. Am I still going to be able to tow in OD? Is the trans smart enough to stay in 5th gear if it is searching too much?
Back