Tow Rig Forum | Page 64 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tow Rig Forum

Towing, hauling, boats, campers, trailers etc... Trailer hitches, weight distribution, hitch ball, safety chains, tow bar and brake controllers. Discuss it all here!
Anyone have any experience towing with an 06 V8? All I have towed so far is our snowmobile trailer to the UP from Chicago. Weight was around 1500 lbs with a decent wind load since it was enclosed. As I expected it towed well and I could leave it in 6th gear. This weekend I will be towing our boat to the summer home, it weights around 4000 lbs. Am I still going to be able to tow in OD? Is the trans smart enough to stay in 5th gear if it is searching too much?
I found a class III Reese hitch on an Ex at the Pick 'n Pull but i didnt have the proper size socket to get the darn thing off! does anybody know what size bolt this hitch uses so I can buy the socket and hopefully make it down again before it "disapears"?(its bigger than 7/8 BTW) while i was there i also pulled a bucket seat from a 96 or so Probe to make my office chair out of, i'll post pics when i'm done the chair. Cheers!
Back