WHOOPS!! | Page 82 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

WHOOPS!!

Sometimes things don't always go as planned. Post pictures and stories of your best...or worst mishaps here.
Would you believe the Thursday night before my Saturday a.m. departure for the Outer Banks of NC my transfer case took a dump. Talk about a hectic Friday. No Xploder on the dunes this year. $1600 later and we're back on track. Also, man are the some big tired trucks roaming 158 & 14 between NC and VA Beach.
Well I finally got my leaking front pinion fixed thanks to Lindsy's co-worker and Lindsy (thanks for the pinion yoke).. While we were under the truck we discovered I'm missing a piece of the t-bar mount. I believe it is cast steel that I somehow broke off.. If you look very closely and compare it to a stock photo you'll notice a chunk missing after you remove the skid plate for the t-bar.
i took my son to the Vancouver airport for his trip to mexico and on the way home my check engine light flashed a couple times then came on steady. my thoughts were of my AutoXray and how only half the screen lights up and now i gotta use a test light to find the damn codes. after driving about 10 kilometers i notice the temp gauge is in the red. i am about to go through the tunnel under the Fraser river and there isn't any place to pull over. i slow down and make it through and there are roadside lights so i can see when i get stopped. i pop open the hood and there is anti-freeze all over the place. i notice immediately the cardboard sticking over the top of the rad. this past week the temp was down to 15f degrees and now it is 45f...
well i learned one of lifes most importaint lessons the hard way today. if your not gonna do something right, dont do it at all. dont fix things half assed and dont be in a hurry. recently i got my baby back on the road after being out of commission for almost two months. i re-did her trans, clutch, master cylinder and slave cylinder. however i felt the need to take the exhaust off to drop the trans, and in turn, broke off all 4 studs. time went by and i just never got around to drilling them out and putting the exhaust back on. finally after all the time and money it took to get her back on the road, i got antsy. heres where i went wrong. in stead of taking the time to drill out the studs and putting on the exhaust, i got excited...
I need help! Bought a 98 explorer automatic with auto 4x4. The one with the auto, 4x4 high, 4x4 low switch on the dash. I've put about 1200 miles on it since I got it, has 121000 overall. Anyway thought I would try the 4x4 out today and its stuck in 4x4 low. It went into both high and low with no problem, showed it on the dash. Went to take it back to auto, dash indacator lights went out so I figured every thing was fine but then thex4 lights for both high and low started flashing at the same time for five or six flashes then the they go out. I'm still in low cause I can feel it. What are some possible problems? Thanks gutterrat
So today i was driving home from work and a branch fell from a tree and hit my car. This is what i found when i got out of my car after pulling into my driveway. Only damage luckily is just a cracked grill. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10210063245674313&id=1132040386
We've probably all dropped tools and had trouble finding them. Last week I started taking off the valve cover I put on my '01 Sport Trac just before it quit running for possible use on my '02. In the process, I dropped my 1/4 swivel extension. I didn't think it sounded like it fell all the way to the ground, couldn't find it, and didn't spend much time looking for it. Today I searched for it on the ground with no luck. Looking up from behind the front tire, I spotted a tiny shiny spot inside the front U-joint. Sure enough, it was the lost extension! In the couple of minutes it took me to get screwdrivers and pliers to retrieve it, the light changed and the extension wasn't visible. It wouldn't have caused a problem because the truck...
So I worked on getting my 2k explorer instrument cluster switched over to leds. Dash was easy enough to take apart, Trust me I did twice. So first I only had one side work some like darn ok. But here's the kicker when I got the instrument cluster lose again I turned it over on its bottom, and saw the wonderful blue sharpie of a pick pull. Anyway to get the actual miles? Well I maybe over the 200k mark
Back