Custom gauge faces that you can make out of paper | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Custom gauge faces that you can make out of paper

oh yeah.. that would be for a 99 eb ex by the way

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well i know this thread is super old but if you still need it shoot me an email and i will send you the file. i also made my own a/c panel to match if you want that.

I know this thread is archaic, but none the links work. I'd love to give this a shot. Can anyone help me out?

Sorry I only have files for an 88 with tach :) I am making some new ones currently......

Alright, thanks.

If anyone has some for a '97, let me know.

bumpasaurus.jpg

The link seems to be dead, does anyone have any info on how this was done?

I remember checkin out those links alongggg time ago. Basically you need to removeyour gauge cluster and all of its atachements (needles, plastic covering) and scan it on a regular scanner (save alot of time if one person scans theres and then post it). Then with whatever picture you want, you crop it on top of the shape of your scanned image of the gauge on the computer. Then using using photo paper in your printer just print it out. Then use an exacto knife to cut the shape of your scanner out. I don't have specifics as this was years ago. I do however remember the guy warning that the needles on the speedometer are very sensitve so you need to take your time taking it off (i belive he used a fork and slid it under the needle to pry it off even) as if you mess it up you'll need a new cluster. I belive he had done a sunset and it looked awesome!

Well, just looking at sticky's--thought I'd bring this into the conversation.
How does this work, in the long term????

Hartman can you please fix the link in first post?

Bump for the same question on lifetime of the printed gauges

October Bump!

Does anybody know the procedure for this?

I don't know if these are the files everyone is looking for, but I had these saved from a couple of years ago. Hope they help...

http://www.cobraxp.com/Files/gauge.psd

http://www.cobraxp.com/Files/gauge2.psd

Right click and save as....

I just did some tests with these, and held the printed copies up to the light. If you have a good quality printer, these will look pretty good. I think if you have a better quality paper, it will look a lot better. I just did quick prints on bad paper. I am hoping to give it a try on good paper on my good printer this weekend. Any ideas for designs to try?

Need Fresh Links And Files

Badly.. I just got into the Explorer game and since I have to do some fixing on my cluster anyway (odometer motor went out).. I figured I'd do something with the face..

1995 Explorer XLT owner.. I'd like to do the white face reverse gauges (w/ night glow blue numbers).. I also need to find out how to change my needles over to red..

This is A cool Idea. I'm glad there is a Link that works though. If I had Photo Shop I'd do it.

JPFreek, It's been a long time since your post, but you could always use Sharpies to Change the needl Color. Just a Though.

This is A cool Idea. I'm glad there is a Link that works though. If I had Photo Shop I'd do it.

JPFreek, It's been a long time since your post, but you could always use Sharpies to Change the needl Color. Just a Though.

Yup.. I got some white-faced gauges on ebay for pretty cheap. The numbers glow blue. (I haven't installed them yet.. but I was planning on doing a red sharpie to the topside of the needle.

But what I really want now is a 1:1 scan of the gear selector gauge so I can reverse it to a white face to match my rig.

Does anyone have a scan of their Gear selector indicator?

Anyone still happen to have the first gen scans laying around?

I wouldn't recommend trying this. Did not turn out well for me. I think you could make it work, but you would have to use transparencies and such. The paper, though, doesn't work well. Looks fine during the day, sucks at night. Either too dark, or lets light through everywhere and looks really bad.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:) Thanks for the heads up.

I do have access to vinyl printers and many other "printing surfaces"

I was hoping to "get it right" then offer to everyone else ... :)

First step is hopefully getting the scans, and if not ... scanning them myself :)

Back