How-To: Torsion Adjuster Flip | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How-To: Torsion Adjuster Flip

hey i did the flip and it turned out great, more or less... i have no bump stops now in the front and it seems to be enough travel so that the the frame never hits.. ive driven it through bumps to test it and the ride is perfect and it doesnt bottom out.. im sitting at 30" all the way around (2" universal lowering blocks in the back). it looks very nice..

***for anybody whos going to do this i dont think the write up paid enough attention to the part where you use the gear puller... you have to first set up the puller for two hooks not three.. then its pretty obvious how to put it on especially with the pics.. but what you are looking for is the little metal rectangle that holds the end of the torsion key in place.. it should NOT take a whole lot of turns to get it loose.. once loose just back the puller out and the key comes down freely with the puller.. the little rectangles are key here..

haha my buddy and i didnt know what the hell we were looking for and he ended up screwing the puller insanely far in to the point of it almost exploding off!!

and also the write up doesnt tell you to bore out a small positioning hole for the puller to put the torsion keys back in place... rather than messing with straps or w.e. just bore a little hole opposite of the hole you used the puller for to get the keys out.. and use the puller with the hole you made.. to push the key back up far enough to slide those metal rectangles back in place... it was very easy to do this once we had the holes in place..

i wish i knew this information before i flipped mine, it would have made the process much smoother...

so now you know it, now go do it!

ps your probably going to have to cut your bumpstops at least in half.. i took mine completely out for now.. but i will be putting them back in very soon.. if you dont cut your bumpstops the ride will SUCK! balls.. o and dont try removing the bumpstops to cut them.. just take the tire off and cut it with a hack saw where it is... trust me on this one..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pipesmash, your camber will actually get worse after the flip if you are going lower. The only way to completely fix it is to space, or extend the uper control arm.

enjoip8nt, congrats on your drop. Have you taken any pics of it yet?

yea i did the drop yesterday and im busy as ****... but ill get pics up in a couple of days.. im gona wash the car too : ]

im going to get it aligned right now.. i hope to god they can align it : /

its pretty low, but well see

BEFORE:
IMG_0631.jpg
90d85036.jpg

AFTER:
IMG_1191.jpg

IMG_1187.jpg

IMG_1188.jpg
heres the 2" lowering blocks:
IMG_1190.jpg

and you can see here that i have no bumpstops but plenty of travel:
IMG_1189.jpg

and heres the alignment info from sears, the only bad thing is the camber in my front right tire.. they said it would cause very slight wearing on the inside of the tire.. but i shouldn't notice it if i keep them rotated:
IMG_1195.jpg

where would i find the camber kits and the lowering blocks with the u bolts

where would i find the lowering blocks and camber kits for my 96 x

where would i find the lowering blocks and camber kits for my 96 x

the lowering blocks are universal and can be found at almost any car parts store... ie pepboys.. kragen...autozone

i had my camber kit done yesterday at a local garage... it cost me 190$ after the alignment and everything...

ok sorry to bring this one back up but im really new to this i have a 96 f150 with drop beams and a flip kit that is going to the shop soon to get a turbo and i got this x from a friend. i want to lower it but i am not sure if i know what it is yall are doing ? are you really just taking it off one side to put it back on the other ?

Now, go ahead and get your 2-3 arm gear puller out. This makes this job EXTREMELY easy, and fast. Here's the one I rented from Autozone for a $40 core charge, no daily fees. Part number is 27078 if you're going there!

Will a steel 4" gear puller work too? Yours is 10" and not sure if that affects the capability of the puller.

Just for Reference, a 4" should work, I used a 6" and it worked. However, these things are dangerous and make sure you mount them tightly against your frame.

im new to this and i dont know if its been asked but will lowering springs for a ranger work for my 96 x?...and if so, what year ranger spring will work?

thanks alot

can i do it on a 99 mercury mount 5.0. 4 door

99 mercury mount hey were can i get a front bumper like that

Would this work on my 1997 Explorer Sport 4X4?
Explorer13

hi, got a question, got confused after weeks of reading, planning to do 2" drop, back isn't a problem, but front confuses me, questions is simple:

do I need to flip torsion adjuster, when only going 2" down?

any help greatly appreciated :)

Hey guys I got a question for the guys who have done this torsion key flip. If I flip the key and find out its lower than I want, will the adjuster screw work to raise it up some? I have everything out already because I'm rebuilding the suspension and have been painting the frame, sway bar, torsion bars, spindles, brakes and all brackets to prevent rust and making her look pretty again. Thanks in advance for any help.

Now that the above is out of the way, let's move on. You'll require quite a few things to do it right, and most importantly, safety.

- MINIMUM 3-ton jack & set of jackstands
- 2-3 arm [gear] puller (read below on details)
- Sockets 13mm (torsion bolts), 16mm (2-3 arm puller), and the wrench for them
- Goggles for eye protection
- Dremel with appropiate bits
- Good night of sleep!

Let's start off with putting your truck on jacks, look for the horizontal frame piece running across the front of the truck, jack it up, put it on stands. This doesn't need pictures. This is releasing most of the tension off your torsion bars, in which, makes a torsion bar function correctly. It uses the weight of the vehicle to function.
This was a very difficult job

Back