4.0 OHV & SOHC Go Fast Goodies!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 OHV & SOHC Go Fast Goodies!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/

How does a 300HP naturally aspirated SOHC sound... it's supposed to be good for 650HP with NOS or SC:D

For the OHV motors they have ported and polished heads and intakes available.
:burnout:

Rick - This sounds like what I need. Can u finance me for the 300 HP N/A engine? I'll put a Explorer Forum sticker on the back of my ride to help advertise for you?

Then I could turbo it and hang with the big dawgs.

:D If I could afford that I would be doing it myself;)

Most of their stuff is for the OHV motor.

Any other place you guys know of?

For the price of thse kits, why dont I just go blown? C&M supercharger kit is $1500 then the m90 blower is 300-500$

For the price of thse kits, why dont I just go blown? C&M supercharger kit is $1500 then the m90 blower is 300-500$

There's a lot of hidden cost that you're not considering. Also remember, you get what you pay for.

1. You'll eventually need to upgrade the fuel system.
2. You'll need a better intake than what comes with that kit.
3. New injectors?
4. Wideband to make sure you're okay?
5. Re-tune?

Then you're limited to the boost you can push with the stock motor.

If you had the pistons supersix offers, along with some other things, you could have one mean X.

Just my opinions. Yes, you could buy the RC kit and be okay for awhile. It usually takes me a week after a MOD before I'm slow again. That's when I wish I would have done it different. Because of this lesson, I'm being very careful to what I buy. I would rather wait now and do it the way I know it should be done.

There's a lot of hidden cost that you're not considering. Also remember, you get what you pay for.

1. You'll eventually need to upgrade the fuel system.
2. You'll need a better intake than what comes with that kit.
3. New injectors?
4. Wideband to make sure you're okay?
5. Re-tune?

Then you're limited to the boost you can push with the stock motor.

If you had the pistons supersix offers, along with some other things, you could have one mean X.

Just my opinions. Yes, you could buy the RC kit and be okay for awhile. It usually takes me a week after a MOD before I'm slow again. That's when I wish I would have done it different. Because of this lesson, I'm being very careful to what I buy. I would rather wait now and do it the way I know it should be done.

and what i've read you need new pistions to lower the compression ratio because the sohc's have a 9:7:1 compression ratio which is going to be really high for a charged system, they recommend you step it down to 9:0:1 so you don't blow heads because i guess we have a swiss chesse style of a head, there is like 12 holes total around each valve body.

awesoem find guys...a plethra of info

Both are good places those of us in the V6 mustang community have known about for a while. Guess I shoulda told everyone about em!:confused: Oh well, hopefully someone from here gets some of their stuff soon.:thumbsup:

and what i've read you need new pistions to lower the compression ratio because the sohc's have a 9:7:1 compression ratio which is going to be really high for a charged system, they recommend you step it down to 9:0:1 so you don't blow heads because i guess we have a swiss chesse style of a head, there is like 12 holes total around each valve body.

awesoem find guys...a plethra of info

It's recommended but not needed. There are several guys running around boosted with stock compression. You just can't advance the timing as much before detonation. A lot are using some sort of injection to prevent detenation.

To put it in perspective; there is a guy in the ranger forums that is running a stock SOHC with the M90. He said he ran the engine at WOT for six minutes straight before the thing blew up (Head Gasket). To me, that's pretty long under boost. Yes, that was totally STUPID of him to do. I wouldn't run ANY engine for six minutes @ WOT. Anyhow, the SOHC is pretty stout but, if you want to do it right you need lower compression.

Yes, anything that uses the Ford 4.0 OHV or SOHC V-6. He has different options available for each motor.

Good to see that they're finally making performance for the 4.0 OHV V6 most all I have seen is for the SOHC and mostly for the 05+ mustang.

Tim

I found this as another intake option while searching. http://www.ifab.net/products/93intake/91Ex/index.html
This one says OHV and but read the description someone may want to check on this.
http://www.stuffforyourranger.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=187

Also hear is a link for under drive pulleys.
http://www.stuffforyourranger.com/s..._30_37&zenid=bffa0884238112144534f73def21884b

Also I would just like to add that on my explorer I had such bad exhaust leaks that I needed a new system. Rather than buying a kit I had a new 2.5" pipe used that was NOT mandrel bent and a good size straight through truck muffler added in instead of an offset muffler it made my X so quite you could hardly hear it run and the power increase was pretty dang impressive. I could feal the extra power I think I just found a muffler that worked well. I since have purchased a Navajo and I am taking that exhaust off my old brokendown X to reuse I will try to get a brand and part number off of it. It was incredible to me and nothing fancy. I literally just spotted it on the shelf and said lets try this. It worked.:thumbsup:

Well, stuff my old stupid mouth with a dirty sock....:).I didn't know any1 had such wonderful goodies available for the 4.0L V6....:).....personally would just love to attach the six 2 barrel carb. intake on my 4.0L....woohoo :):)

Sorry I'm new to fixing up vehicles and i was wondering about getting more power for my explorer, but I couldn't really find any parts out there for my 99 xlt 4.0L sohc. So these engines just go straight in. I wouldn't need a new tranny or anything like that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, if you look at the links posted above, you will see PLENTY of parts for your 4.0L SOHC. There are Pulleys for it, and intake tube kit for it, you can use the Ford Motorsports 4.6L throttlebody on it too...check out the mods done by 'aldive' on his 4.0L SOHC.

Ryan

Back