• Register Today It's free!

Spare Tire Mount Pics

MadCow

Reaction score
City, State
Sault Ste Marie, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
In the market...
I recently bought a 92 ex and the spare tire was stored inside. The underbody mount looks to be either toast or missing. I was just curious as to what some of the modifiers are doing to mount their spares.

SO if you could post your setups and if its a custom fab, the how tos thats would be awesome

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

a real easy thing is if you have a trailor hitch some companies make a thing that you can put in there. Makes it look somewhat like a jeep with the tire being in the back but it works. If you have the ability fab it up yourself all you need is one square tubing and a couple bolts.

:salute: almost any thing will work ask on here form parts wanted alot of guys that have mod their trk have them laying around
i got a replacement for mine at pick apart yard for 15 bucks i thk it was same style was used up till 1999 or maybe even later:salute:

the stock spare tire winch is easy to replace. I got mine at the junkyard for $8, out of a '96 ex. they are all the same up until '01. make sure to coat the hanger for the tire with anti-seize before you put it back under there. the previous owner of my truck cut the winch cable when he couldn't break the rust on the hanger free of the spare...and it wouldn't be any fun to wrestle with when you've got a flat on the side of the highway.

I put my spare on the roof in the rear, bungee'd it down.

Looks totally badass!

wow reading this i saw nobody posted a picture of there mount ahaha.

I put my spare on the roof in the rear, bungee'd it down.

Looks totally badass!
Having the tire on the roof give you allot of weight up there. It will make it that more "TIPPY" if you get a little off camber. If I did that I would need a step ladder to crawl up and get it.

We still run ours on the roof..

a 32" tire would barely fit underneath if we kept it at 10psi or so..

We used to just strap it to the roof..
2110481273_23010ab20b.jpg

IMG_5496 by maniak_az, on Flickr

We then grabbed a coleman roof rack and strapped it to that..
2274346845_642ac2044e.jpg

Coleman roof rack by maniak_az, on Flickr

Its a tight fit but we can fit one gas can there too.
2439816402_3bf4d8c86e.jpg

3 by maniak_az, on Flickr

It is a pain to get it up there, but I carry tire plugs and a small compressor so when I get a flat I just fix it on the rig. I haven't changed a tire for a flat on the X in quite a while.

I do want to get it off the roof as it does add extra weight which can be bad in off-camber situations.

~Mark

i have a roof rack on mine with my spare tire, but its starting to pull the rail off the roof... any ides on how to fix that? im thinking about just drilling new holes and using big washers, instead of the railling on there.

I had to repair my Spare Tire Lift last weekend. It cost me $6 for some Wire Rope Clamps, Bell Reducer, and a Pipe Plug. I had to cut the corroded Spare Tire Lift Wire Rope with a Die-Grinder. I reused the Original Spare Tire Retainer Bracket. I hope this will help others.
sparetirelift2.jpg

If you just want to mount a stock size spare, getting another stock cable/winch would be the easiest way to go about it. Plenty of people on the forum parting out if there aren't any salvage yards nearby with Explorers or other Ford trucks with them on there.

The hot setup for mounting a larger size spare is probably a swing-away tire carrier, either body mounted like the Bronco/Bronco II or bumper mounted. It has the drawback of reducing rear visibility some depending how big the tire is and how you mount it, but it does have the added benefit of adding weight to the right rear corner, and countering some of the Explorers' left side lean due to the weight of the fuel tank.

Bronco_back_bg.jpg

This seems like a good place to ask...

I just put my 32" spare in the stock location, but the weight/size has me a little concerned with the strength of the winch when bombing down dirt roads and through whoops or when the rear end bucks a few feet in the air, so I put a tie-down below it from one frame rail to the other just in case. Anybody think I should be worried?

BTW, to fit the 32 I cut the stamped steel plate that's between the winch and the spare right where it bends down closest to the differential, and the spare fits in there with enough room to just avoid the shocks.

Is this what you're talking about??
IMG_1504.jpg

Don't mind the mess... part of living in the boonies and driving the gravel roads all the time.

Back