Rear ride leveling | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear ride leveling

nickszkiler

Reaction score
City, State
Yorkshire England
Year, Model & Trim Level
I just bought a 1997 Explorer and the suspnsion warning light is on. How do find the fault? The rear end is low and I don't hear a compressor running.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The first thing to do is check the obvious. The switch in the rear by the jack (behind the panel on left of luggage area). Also check all the fuses, both the main ones under the hood and the extra ones beside the dash with the drivers door open. After that the search deepens to the rear axle area. Above the spare is the pump, also the linkage to activate it has been known to come off.

Thanks for the posting - really helpful. I only got the car yesterday. The pump was switched off. I've switched it back on and taken the car for a spin. I can hear a pump running at the rear periodically, and the ride actually feels smoother at the rear, but she still sits a bit low. Any suggestions?

Nick Szkiler

It may require resetting to level. Switch it off and jack the rear up so that the axle can hang on the springs. Lower back down and switch the system back on. That may help, otherwise the rear springs may have sagged and require replacing.

I need to do this too, after I put the bulb back in... I think It's gonna need 2 very large axle stands

Si

Hi

I think I've got to the bottom of the problem. Previous owner says he 'preferred the softer ride with it switched off' I bet he did! Now I've switched it on, the pump tries to level the car, but air is hissing out of the drvers side shock absorber when the pump motor is running.

I could buy two new expensive air shocks from Ford. Is there any other way?

Thanks

Nick

Hi

I think I've got to the bottom of the problem. Previous owner says he 'preferred the softer ride with it switched off' I bet he did! Now I've switched it on, the pump tries to level the car, but air is hissing out of the drvers side shock absorber when the pump motor is running.

Thanks

Nick

Can you locate where the air is actually leaking from on the shock? If it's a fitting it should be easy, but if it's not I don't see many options.

Hi

...Now I've switched it on, the pump tries to level the car, but air is hissing out of the drvers side shock absorber when the pump motor is running.

Thanks

Nick

Nick. Where abouts in Yorkshire are you? I've got a full set of self levelling gubbins off a '97 / '98 Explorer, including shocks and compressor. I don't really want to sell them yet (while I still own an Ex) but I'd be happy to let you borrow the bits and swap them around by way of diagnosing the problem.

Simon H
(Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire)

Hi
Our Ex sits a little lower on the rear nearside than the offside. Self leveling appears to be working ok and after a run it seems to sit the same height but when I next look at it the rear nearside seems to be low again.
I also think the back end feels a bit choppy when driving on our wonderful roads, dont know if this is caused by the same thing or whether it is just age/mileage related....
Any ideas guys?

Keith

More Self Levelling issues !

Hi.

I've got a 2000 Explorer and the rear suspension sits a bit low. The self levelling compressor seems to be working overtime but seems to cope when the car is not loaded. When I put anything heavy in the boot, eventually the warning light comes on and stays on until the ignition is switched off and back on. It's OK for a while, but the pump is going mad.

I crawled under the car and squirted soapy water everywhere to see if there is a leak, but I cannot find one.

I think it might need new shox - any ideas or suggestions ?

I found new shox on a US website at $117 each - Motorcraft part numbers ASHV15 and ASHV892. Anyone know if these are the correct items for the UK spec vehicles ?

Cheers

Stu

I'm glad when I read problems like this that I own a 1st gen. Explorer ! :p: :) I have no such problems :p: :p: :)

Guys, if you need the rear air shocks, there has been someone in Canada who is selling them for about $25 each. I bought two as spares, I paid about $95 each at Ford.

I don't see the rear shocks right now there, but they had almost 900 last year, they are still out there. I found this though for anyone needing to remove all four;http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford...tegoryZ33590QQihZ006QQitemZ160117886838QQrdZ1
Good luck

The first thing to do is check the obvious. The switch in the rear by the jack (behind the panel on left of luggage area). Also check all the fuses, both the main ones under the hood and the extra ones beside the dash with the drivers door open. After that the search deepens to the rear axle area. Above the spare is the pump, also the linkage to activate it has been known to come off.

Hey mate I've recently got the air shocks taken out of my 2000 explorer and pit non air shocks in. I now have the auto level picture alarm up on my dash (picture of a car with a cross through it) is there any way of turning it off. Do you know what fuse to pull without taking anything else out. Cheers

Ps the switch in cargo area is off

Hey mate I've recently got the air shocks taken out of my 2000 explorer and pit non air shocks in. I now have the auto level picture alarm up on my dash (picture of a car with a cross through it) is there any way of turning it off. Do you know what fuse to pull without taking anything else out. Cheers

Ps the switch in cargo area is off

Remove the radio and locate the ARC module in the dash just next to the radio space. On LHD models like ours it's on the right side, with two connectors going into it. I think you only need to disconnect those.

Back