• Register Today It's free!

pcv valve location on sohc

99 Sport 4x4

Reaction score
City, State
murfreesboro, tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Sport 4x4
I cannot find it, I have a Haynes manual but it does not state the location. I bought a replacement but it is not doing me any good in the box.

Any help is appreciated!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by 99 Sport 4x4
I cannot find it, I have a Haynes manual but it does not state the location. I bought a replacement but it is not doing me any good in the box.

Any help is appreciated!!!
yeah man, all the other thread on this dont have anymore pics in them, some pics would help us out. i friggin cant find mine either, and ive looked where the "t thing" is and cant figure it out :confused:

Haynes shows it on the valve cover on the regular 4.0 but not the sohc. I am getting an odd vibration when idling under 1k whether in park or drive. Do you get it at all in yours?

Ford Certified Technician

It is located behind the upper intake manifold on the passenger side. Its right behind that black bracket which holds the EVR solenoid. I'll take a picture and post it if you still can't find it. Let me know.

That would be great if you would do that. I see you are a Ford Tech, can I ask you some questions regarding some recent problems I am having with my ride?

on 2nd generations I am pretty sure (definitely 98) SOHC ford will replace it for free at 60k and 120k. It is in your owners manual. Just make sure you tell them that. They tried to charge me but I had none of that.
Gary

That is what I have been reading, I am about to turn over 50K on mine and I really do not know if it is bad but I have been getting this annoying vibration when running and the rpms seem to bounce around between 500 and 1000 so I thought I would replace to see if that helped. The part was only a couple dollars.

Yeah it is cheap but it is has been about 10 below the past few weeks and I had time to drop the X off so it was easier for me to just have them do it.
Gary

True, cold here too. I just hate the dealer, they take soooo long to get things done around here and it is just too time consuming. I have a life ya know....

99, is your rough idle only when the engine is cold?? Goes away after it warms up? If so, have you had the intake manifold O-rings replaced based on the 00M12 and 01M01 owner notification programs?

No all the time, rpms jump from 500-1000 and when it nears 1k I get the vibration.

1097010604-03.jpg

Originally posted by Robert
1097010604-03.jpg

So it that the PCV valve, the white piece with the 2 tiny hoses coming off of it?

Thanks for the help...

Yes (actually it is light gray). Be sure and get one with the 'T' already on it. The one I bought at Checker Auto Parts didn't come with it so I spent an hour getting my old one off and put on the new PCV. The plastic 'T' is extremely hard and doesn't flex over the ridge on either PCV. Next time I'd gladly spend twice the $ to get one with the 'T' already on it.

That PCV with the "T" on it is ONLY available as a dealer item, the hoses and T slip off, but be carful they get brittle from all that heat they are exposed to and break easy(been there, done that)

You can buy the PCV seperatley if you bring it to Ford and x ref the part #,you can get the exact one(they'll tell you its not available)

Get a better brand like Purolater(Not FRAM) if you go to parts store.

good luck

I found an easier way

For those of you that have the 4.0L SOHC, as you probably figured out, the PCV is on the top rear of the engine block intake manifold about 2" in front of the firewall almost centered on the engine. There is a "T" adapter that goes into the top of the PCV. Pulling the PCV out of the manifold hose and out of the "T" fitting is easy but getting the new PCV back into the "T" fitting can be slightly more difficult because the rubber has hardened with heat. What I did that made this easy was to follow the two hoses from the "T" fitting and disconnect them from the intake manifold. They come off easily. Once you do that, you can remove the "T" fitting and two pipes as one piece. Take the new PCV valve and press the new PCV into the "T" fitting with an adjustable wrench or even better, a vice. It doesn't take too much pressure, just slightly more than I could muster with my hands. Then return the "T" fitting with two pipes and the newly installed PCV valve and return them from where you removed them, reattach hoses. Popping the lower half of the new PCV valve back into the hose is easy. Total time, 10 minutes. :D Actually finding the PCV valve, 30 minutes :rolleyes:

..my explorer 1998 4.0 SOHC vibrates when in drive and I stop like described in this thread. I actually just replaced the two hoses that go into the back of the intake from the valve as they were collapsing. But I just changed the upper & lower intake gaskets and gave up on changing the hose that goes from the bottom of the pcv to whatever it goes to because it was under a wiring harness. So now the hoses don't collapse but it still vibrates. Could the valve be bad ??? Does this sound like my problem? I have 150,000 miles. Does the valve actually come out the hose with some persuasion? It didn't seem like it was meant or able to be removed from the hose it sits in.

..Does the valve actually come out the hose with some persuasion? It didn't seem like it was meant or able to be removed from the hose it sits in.

I just replaced mine. I took a flat screwdriver and gave a few "persuasion" twists between the hose and valve. You just have to break the seal a little and it will come out. The trick is getting the new valve into the tee. I just grinded the new valve down until it went in.

...ok, i'll try it. But did this solve anyone's problems in this thread ???? My car runs like a charm after the tuneup I gave it, and it's not about being in drive it seems, just about when the RPMs go under 1,000 I get a vibration. And it's a bad one now. Did anyone have this problem and was it solved by changing the PCV ?????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

someone here said that if you have the t off, you can microwave it for about 3-5 seconds and then you can get the pcv back in....soften it up

but I guess that doesnt work if its brittle

Back