8 spark plugs on 4 cylinder??

yob_yeknom

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Glade Hill, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT & '06 Limited
I don't have a Ranger, but a guy I work with does. (I drive an Explorer.) It is an early 90's model I believe and has a 4 cylinder engine. He asked me if I knew if it had 8 spark plugs or not. He says he knows he saw 8, 4 you can get to and change and 4 you cannot. Is he right?
Why are they there? All I could guess is that it is for some emissions control. Do they fire on the exhaust stroke or something to make sure all of the fuel gets burnt? That's what I told him my guess was.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm sure that is what it is. My dad had a Toyota that also had the same setup for emissions. He could change all the plugs though. I never new Ford did it too.

I cant tell you why, but its true my friend has a early 90s ranger that he runs around the farm with and it has 8 plugs, 4 on either side of the head ,seems kinda screwy . and yes 4 are easy to change and the others are a b!tch.

Earlier this year my younger son acquired a 95, Ranger XLT 2wd, auto, with the 2.3L 4cyl.
Since it had 65k on it, I said well lets change plugs,points, fuel filter, Tstat (Fords, I swear), and instal a K&N and cut the box open (like the Ex).
I was real surprised to find dual-coil, dual plugs (8). I asked around if the P4s would be okay, but many responded with just use Bosch Plat (not P4) in it. The exhaust(pass) side was easy, the intake side WAS A BIOTCH. But with an extra set of hands an extension and swivel, no harder than the rear plug on the explorer. But they are all the same plug and gap.
I had a bout with the CEL, but that is a long story.
at now 71k, it runs fine, all tuned up, new O2sensor, Idle Air control, temp sending unit, all syns in case and tranny (Castrol and AMSoil) and a canister purge assembly (the CEL culprit). I will say the 8 plugs burn more effiecently and smooth out the engine. But here's the rub, only 18.5mpg.
My exp gets 20+
go figure

how are you getting 20mpg with your X? I have a 96 X and I dont get nearly that much!!! Tell me what you have done, if anything to get yours to perform that good. About the ranger, wherebouts did you cut that hole in the airbox, and bout how much horsepower did it give you? My friend has a 94 Rang w/ a 2.3L that he hates cuz it is slow and wants to mod it for some pickup....oh yeah, what was it again that you used to get the spark plugs off? He got 3 changed and then gave up cuz the rest were b!tches!!!

well, im out... by the way, anyone know where I can get an intake for a 94 ranger 2.3L online???

I just did my '96 Ranger 2.3.

My Intake has cone filter so I removed the plastic muffler that is between the mass air sensor and the thottle body and put a stainless pipe in its place. Where the intake goes through the fender I pulled off the rubber snorkel and drilled 20-25 1.25" holes in the filter housing that surrounds the housing. Topped it off with a drop in K&N filter and BAM more power.

The plugs on the pass side were pretty easy. Driver side was tough but use long extension (about 1') on the front and back plug to make is easier. The middle 2 will require a 5/8 spark plug socket with a built in swivel. Buy a good quality or you will wish you did (no China stuff). I may have had to use an extension or so to do that part of the job.

BYW the only way I could get the back 2 driver plug wires off was by using long needle nose pliers and rotate 2-3 time back and forth and then pull back.

Good Luck!

I have a 2001 Ford Ranger w/ 4 cylinder engine but has the 8 spark plugs. when i bought the car, i didn't even think that a 4 cylinder engine would have more than 4 spark plugs.

I am getting only 16 MPG on the highway. how can i get better gas mileage?

how are you getting 20mpg with your X? I have a 96 X and I dont get nearly that much!!! Tell me what you have done, if anything to get yours to perform that good.

I regularly get 20-21 mpg in my '93 Explorer on the highway. I don't do anything special other than keep up on the maintenance, use cruise control, and keep it to 70 mph. Having 3.27 gears probably helps a bit also.

City I only get about 14 though.

Just did all 8 of mine. SMASHEK's post pretty much summed it up. Those driver side plugs are not that bad. But you are going to need some good eyes, light and some talent for maneuvering tools around in tight places. I'm not a certified auto tech by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm good at figuring things out as much as I hate doing them. On a scale of 1 to 10 difficulty, this is about a 5. Again, those driver side plugs is what make a seemingly easy spark plug change a challenge.

I'm glad Ford is not in the aviation business. I can see them putting airframe support beams blocking the emergency exits and requiring special tools and a tech to remove them so all the passengers can escape. That damn intake plenum could be tidy'd up a bit in design, instead of a sloppy, bulky cast. Then again, I don't understand this 8 spark plug business on a 4 cylinder, what sick maniac designs this stuff????

Driver side plug removal install
# 1 - Easy, if you have the A/C compressor in the way, you will need to assemble the socket to the extension between the head and the A/C aluminum tube.
# 2 - This is where you want to use the regular universal and socket. The angle is a bit steep for the swivel extension.
# 3 - This one is a booger! You will need those long reach pliers to carefully undo the spark plug sleeves. When you unplug them, just let them fall out of the way. Then take your flashlight to view, swivel extension and carefully slide it in between the plenum and feel your way to the plug. My biggest fear was accidentally breaking the blasted spark plug ceramic ends not knowing how badly the plug may have been seized inside the head. The reasoning there is, that spark plug socket grips the ceramic, so if it broke, how the heck am I going to get a grabby tool down in there to a place I can't really see to get the broken spark plug out?!! It took patience to make sure I set the tool correctly on the plug and when I got ready to apply undo torque, not to break the plug! Once you get the new plug in, then you will need those long reach pliers to plug the spark plug wire sleeve back in. It's tricky.
#4 - Same instruction set as #3, but you will need to add another extension on the swivel socket. You won't have to undo that master cylinder vac hose, you can slide the extension along side of it. Removing the wire sleeve and installing will require that long reach pliers. Very tricky angle as well.

And that's all there is to it. It does seem intimidating at first glance, but once you get into it, take your time and it goes surprisingly smooth. This was my first time ever.

Yeah, my engine bay is dirty as all hell, but this is a service truck. It's on the road Mon-Fri non stop.

SP1_zps4a3f5d41.jpg

SP2_zps0da55244.jpg

SP3_zpse613f0d1.jpg

Back