'94 Push Button 4X4 not working | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'94 Push Button 4X4 not working

That sounds easy enough. And can I buy one of those stop bumpers anywhere, or am I just looking for a simple bushing from a hardware store that fits?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One more question, just to make sure I'm not doing something for nothing: given that this 4x4 probably hasn't been in 4-wheel drive, would that stop bumper still break?

I haven't had time to try this out, but one more question: Is it possible to get to this stop bumper without pulling the whole switch motor out? Looks like I can just remove the gear cover....can anyone confirm?

Ok, I got the gear out and the bumper was gone. Nothing in the guide talks about a replacement bumper, so now what? I'm on my way to OSH i guess, just hope I get the right fix and not something that will break later. Would rubber work? does it need to be plastic? should I get something bigger?

One more question, just to make sure I'm not doing something for nothing: given that this 4x4 probably hasn't been in 4-wheel drive, would that stop bumper still break?

Yes.. the stop bumper breaks not from use, but because of the type of plastic used in its construction.. it ages quickly and causes it to fall apart without any indication of use or abuse.

The shift motor repair thread is kind of long so it can be easy to miss the references to the stop bumper tubing. Anyway replace the broken stop bumper with a similarly sized piece of rubber tubing/fuel line hose (3/8" OD) or so.. Press the tubing on right over the bolt without removing it..

Yea, when I got the gear out, the bumper was totally broken in pieces. The plastic was extremely brittle too.
I used a plastic washer I got from OSH that was a little bit larger (deeper) than the stud and about twice as thick. I had to drill it out because the only one they had was a much smaller opening. This plastic seems much more durable, but hopefully it doesn't get brittle like the previous one. I also got some rubber o-rings, but I was afraid they would melt, but needed a backup for the plastic since they only had ONE of this size left - I really lucked out. I figure, if the plastic was going to get brittle (from heat), the the rubber would melt. But, if the plastic breaks again, I'll replace with rubber.

Funny, when i opened up the motor, it was basically BRAND NEW! everything on the inside was in such good shape, seriously never been used, so I was very surprised that the bumper was broken. Good thing I didn't go get a new motor, that would have been a waste of $$. The guide was perfect - long but with all the right info. Especially the part about how to get the motor housing back on - it took me about 20 minutes the first time because those stupid bushings and springs kept popping out. Other than that, piece of cake!

Broken Stop Bumper Part

Replacing the broken stop bumper fixed my truck after 10 years of it not working. I also had to replace my hubs with manuals to get the wheels to engage. I used a piece of 8 gauge car audio wire to use as a bump stop. I cut about ½ an inch of wire of the end and stripped the wires out of the casing. The casing fit perfect on the stud and has worked for 2 years now. I did not use any sort of glue if that helps.

:usa: I have a 93 X, and after I use the 4X4 feature, I stop, put it in neutral, hit the 4X4 button again, then put it into reverse, back up about 10 feet and it automatically disengages, then I put it into drive and I'm on my way. If I'm not mistaken, that's what your supposed to do anyway.

Back