• Register Today It's free!

Fan Speed 1 and 2 not working????

xvprflyboivx

Reaction score
City, State
Tobyhanna, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLS Sport
I have the manual HVAC and the other day fan speeds 1 and 2 stopped working!!! 3 and 4 work fine...WHAT HAPPENED? :confused: anybody have any insight? thanks...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Blower motor resistor would be my guess. $13 part and 20 minutes to change it. :)

where would this part be located in my X? can i get the part from any auto parts store? it wierd how my X is only 4 years old and the blower motor is already out...

**bump** i would greatly appreciate some advice on where this part is located on my X so I can replace it and save myself a $$$$$ trip to the Ford dealer. Thank you...

Sorry for the sluggish reply....

The service manual lists its location as 'behind dash panel, center', but doesn't show a picture. I've never personally put my hands on one out of an '03, but my guess is that it'll be in the dash near the blower motor. You'll probably need to remove the stereo and trim from the center stack to access it.

Typically they're placed in the plenum somewhere near the blower motor so the air passing through the system can cool the resistors as they tend to get hot while the system is running. That may or may not be the case for yours. Once you have the new part in-hand, it shouldn't be too difficult to track down. You should be able to find it at just about any auto parts store, or www.fastpartsnetwork.com

The other possibility is that your switch went bad. The switch provides the ground path for the motor through the resistor pack. If the switch was bad, you'd have an open circuit in positions 1 and 2, and a closed circuit in positions 3 and 4. If you're looking at the back of the switch, you'll want to check for continuity between pin 15 and the four other pins. If the circuit is complete between pins 9,10,11 or 12 and pin 15, then you know the switch is good.

Hope that helps! Let me know if I can be any more help!

great thank you! i also wanted to add that when in switch 1 or 2 nothing works and no air comes out of the 2-row vents...so it maybe the switch...ill take a look this weekend...at least i have 3 or 4 to work with. i just want my 1 and 2 back...having 3 on w/ A/C you tend to get a little cold...

Automatic Climate Control problem?

My HVAC sysetm seems to have a ghost... blower speeds randomly change or don't work at all... I think I have the same problem. However, I have the automatic climate control system, do I have the same resistor, or is a different part needed on mine?

With the EATC, you have a blowe speed control module. It's different than the resistor pack.

-Joe

Thanks Joe,

I visited the dealer today... he mentioned a similar part... is the location about the same? The dealer gave me a part number of 19E624... will have to figure that out. Of course the part is more too, 55 bucks instead of 15 bucks.

The dealer printed me off an exploded view of the system, but that doesn't help too much locate the part.

I have a similar problem with my 02 Sport Trac. The fan speed only works on position 1 and 4, in position 2 and 3 the fan speed remains at speed 1.
I changed the blower switch (I guess I should have read a bit on the problem here on this forum first:rolleyes:) and the problem persists. I then checked the blower resistor and it looks rather corroded. Its part no. F57H-19A706-BA. Its located near the blower motor with the resistor inside the ducting (for cooling). I will try to replace the resistor and hopefully it will resolve the problem. Often here in the Philippines speed 1 is too little and 4 is too much aircon.

Fiddled at bit with the resistor and also got fanspeed 3 working, problem is definitely in the resistor. Will see if its easy to come by a new one here in the Philippines.

Fiddled at bit with the resistor and also got fanspeed 3 working, problem is definitely in the resistor. Will see if its easy to come by a new one here in the Philippines.

It shouldn't be difficult to get... Ford uses that same resistor in 90% or more of the vehicles with manual HVAC controls. It should be a pretty common part.

Good luck!

Back