1994 Ranger shifting late into 2nd gear | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 Ranger shifting late into 2nd gear

mikmic2

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Mountaineer
I have a 1994 Ranger 2WD with a 4.0 liter engine, and an automatic transmission. Just recently one day it started shifting real late into 2nd gear, and the tranmission fluid level shows it to be way over full.

Is this a governor issue? What is the cause of the transmission fluid level being way over full?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I know how to get the governor out, if it's in the extension housing on the transmission. When I get it out, what am I looking for? Should I just clean it and put it back together?

Why does our local transmission shop say not to change the fluid on a transmission that hasn't had regular fluid changes. They say you will more then likely cause a problem if you do so.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is this a governor issue? What is the cause of the transmission fluid level being way over full?

The only thing that causes the truck to have too much fluid is someone physically putting too much fluid in. Are you reading the dipstick when it's hot and in park? If so, how much mileage is on the fluid? maybe it's time to change it anyways. do the governor, the fluid and the filter all at once and hopefully your problems are fixed. (i dont know much about the governor myself.)

Why does our local transmission shop say not to change the fluid on a transmission that hasn't had regular fluid changes. They say you will more then likely cause a problem if you do so.

the only reason i can think of is because they'd rather make money on transmission overhauls then transmission flushes... 90% of trannies that havent had regular fluid changes are abused already so they probably want you to finish the job early.

I`m not an expert on Ford transmissions and dont even know what which one is in your truck. But I did just recently rebuild an AW4 Jeep 4 speed automatic. Its problem was a delayed 1 to 2 shift when cold and shifted normally when up to operating temp. The problem was simply a dirty 1-2 shift valve in the throttle body. If you have the intelligence not to vote for McCain, some mechanical experience and the ATSG service book for your transmission you can probably fix it yourself.
The detergents in tranny fluid that help prevent sludge, crud, and varnish buildup could loosen the stuff that is already there and cause a shaft valve to stick.

Thanks guys, I finally found the problem. The little rubber hose between the modulator, and the steel line that went up to the intake, had fallen off. It was hard to see, between the heatshield, and transmission, but I put a new hose from the steel line to the modulator, and all is well.

Hey ZKT, this is an automotive forum, not a place to push your political positions. :thumbsup:

Good to know it wasn`t the shift valve.
The Devil took holt of me and made me type those things.
He makes me do it every chance I get. <hint>
I think it was cause I watched The Exorcist the other night.
:thumbsup::usa:

Back