Shift Solenoid??? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shift Solenoid???

The only way to test an EPC or TCC modulated solenoid is to connect a special tool to it which simulates the actual modulated signal to see how the solenoid reacts. I suspect that the swapped valve body might have old solenoids, and possibly other issues. WWW.CentralValveBodies.Com gives members of this site a discount (I don't know the actual percentage), and is capable of testing both valve bodies for you. They will either tell you if they are good or repair them for you. I would suggest this if you are not comfortable rebuilding the valve body yourself or letting an average shop do this kind of work.

I will look into this, thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

An update...and perhaps closing

I finally got my Explorer back today (I was out of town for a bit). The last thing the guy told me was "a rebuild will fix the problem". Well, he rebuilt it and it was still not shifting properly. When I picked it up today he told me it had an electrical problem. I had him explain and he said he had to replace the computer. EXACTLY what i was thinking early on and had even mentioned it several times. He said some stuff in the tranny still needed repairs so a rebuild wasn't a lost cause. So, after my test ride and my ride home, everything seems cherry! :D So I got a rebuilt tranny and a new computer for $900. I'm happy. Hopefully all will hold up and hopefully my stereo will act normal again as well as hopefully not having any random misfires. We shall see...

I thank you all for your input and help. If something else comes up, I'll be back! ;) :salute:

Thanks for the update? Ask him if he did a soft parts rebuild, and if he replaced some hard parts like bands, drums, torque converter, etc.

I know he told me that he replaced all solenoids, the bands, and torque converter. I am also to believe he replaced other hardware, but the ones I mentioned he mentioned by name. He also replaced the computer (the ultimate culprit).

how many solenoids does it have a 1996 Ford Explorer?.... code T 4r55E

6 solenoids (4 shift, 1 TCC, and 1 EPC). This photo is courtesy of Jimbo74:
attachment.php

This diagram is from WWW.Wittrans.Com:
4R44E%20Valve%20Body%20Parts.jpg

Ranger

I have a question about my Ranger. I have a 96 2.3L Ranger 2wd dual plug. I just completely rebuilt the engine, and had the transmission rebuilt. Well I'm now getting the same check engine problem as before, error P0761, which is shift solenoid 3 condition with the o/d light blinking after a few minutes of driving. Could low transmission fluid be the problem (10 quarts give or take what I had lying around), and if not, what is causing this problem?

P.S. This is what it was doing before it blew up for no reason.

thanks for the welcome, I guess I don't know much bout a valve body could you give me a brief description of what it is and what it does please.

The valve body routes the fluid to all of the internal parts of an automatic transmission. It has channels for directing the flow of hydraulic fluid. It looks like a map. The transmission section has sticky threads on rebuilding valve bodies.

We just got a '96 ford explorer 4.0 2wd, the check ingine light was on and when we plugged in the computer PO761 came up, what all could be wrong with it??

I know the code means-shift soleniod c ckt performance or stuck off-but could someone list all the possibilities of what that could be??

I have 96 Ford Ranger 4.0 auto, got similar problem.After 7-10 miles O/D light will start to blink and it will start to shift hard be twin gears if you stop and start again(1,2 gear).
But if i park the car and i live it for willie it will go away and will com back again after some miles.Their is no any codes or engine light.I believe must be some electrical problem.

The wiring harness on the side of your transmission is square and has 16 places for connectors in it. It uses 13. Of the 4 in the middle there is one that is diagonally opposed to one of the blanks. That is wire #11, (red). Each of the shift solenoids should have the same ohm reading between #11 and #16 for SS1 (Orange/yellow stripe), SS2 #11 and #14 (Pink/Orange stripe), and SS3 #11 and #7 (Pink/Black stripe). They should all be between 22 and 48 ohms. I have found they typically read about 25 ohms. If they (the 11-16, the 11-14 and the 11-7 (especially) read the same range, the solenoids are probably good. Then check the pink/black wire all the way to the PCM. It is in space #53 second from the end, second row from bottom. If there is continuity, check the pin itself. Is it making good contact with with PCM? All the PCM does is ground the circuit. The PCM is grounding the circuit, and does not sense voltage in the circuit board going through pin #53. Possible problem with PCM, but not likely. -Mac

Back