Need to replace the 4x4 control module... have a few questions. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need to replace the 4x4 control module... have a few questions.

scotttmbolt

Reaction score
City, State
Allen Park, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ranger Edge 4x4
Hey everyone,

I am new to the forums and I am a huge Ranger fan. I love everything about my 2002 Ranger Edge except for one issue... the 4x4 control module is acting up. I am now entering the second winter with my Ranger and I would like to get the 4x4CM replaced so that I have reliable 4x4 performance. Here is what is happening... I recently started using the 4x4 for the first time this season. When turning the switch to 4x4 High... nothing happened. Eventually when the truck heated up, it would work. I have been doing a lot of reading before I joined and posted, and have decided it is the control module. I have read a few instanced where the module won't work until it is heated up (which really pisses me off, because I shouldn't have to wait around for the floorboard kick panel to heat up before I can use 4x4). Odd thing is this never happened last winter, but about a month ago my battery died and I also read that a dead battery could possibly mess with the control module.

So ultimately I am going to replace the module, but I would like to know (especially from other Ranger owners who have done this before) if it is a difficult process and if there is anything I have to specially do while installing the new module.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me, I really appreciate it!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

http://www.mysporttrac.com/MySportTrac/projects/4x4ControlModuleReplacementProject.pdf

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TCaseshiftmotor.htm

try this link above. i had the same problem with my 2002 ranger . The 4wd would only work after the cab warmed up. That was last week, now it stopped working altogether. I took the transfer case motor off and cleaned it. It looked alright to me nothing changed. So i checked for power at the motor and no power to the motor . I had someone inside turning the 4x4 switch. if you go to the second link it tells you how to remove the transfer case motor. I checked all fuses and ground.I think its my 4x4 controll module. I checked the ford dealer its $222.24 .I found it at www.directfordparts.com .you may need the part number from the dealer . I found one online and it was for the Explorer you can just ask a dealer . I'm going to look for a better price maybe a junk yard.I'll let you know what happens. good luck

Yeah, I think you may have the same problem as me. I have read about a BUNCH of cases of Ranger and Explorer owners who have vehicles years between 2000 and 2003 who have this same problem. Many report that after they either changed their battery or their battery died on them, the 4x4 would not engage. Ironically for me my battery died about a month ago... and since then my 4x4 will only engage when my cab warms up and also ironically the control mod. is under the kick plate buy the passenger side feet right where it blows hot air. So i have basically narrowed it down to this problem, and I contacted that website yesterday and they gave me the part number. I will probably order it after thanksgiving and replace it. I will post my progress with this issue here and you should too :)

Thanks for those GREAT links! Very Helpful!

Way to go Ford! Good job installing a POS electrical component!

this is how i pin pointed my non working 4wd in my 02 ranger. i noticed the 4wd lights on the dash werent cycling on and off when i started the car.

my control module had alot of green corrosion on the connector terminals. fortunately i had another explorer and swapped the parts. sure enough the control module was dead.

ordered a replacement....good to go.

I just wanted to update my situation...

I replaced the 4x4 control module and it fixed the problem. I am soo relieved, especially since now the weather is gonna get bad and 4x4 is priceless. Thanks to this great forum and its members for help. Direct Ford Parts was great, paid more then half less then what it would have cost at a dealership.

Go Ranger Lovers!

Thank you all.

I have read this forum through (about the 4wd CM) and it has been very helpful. Though I am not sure that the CM is the problem, it may be easier to replace it and less expensive than a diagnosis. Here is my situation. The 4WD lights do cycle when the truck is started and there is no power to the switch or the motor. I looked at the CM and all the wires are intact (nothing has shorted out).

My question is about replacing the CM. I can order a new one from www.directfordparts.com (thank-you for the link) but they warn me about codes that need to be transfered and can only be done at a dealer. Is this true?

4x4 control module

I can't seem to find the 4x4 control module on my 2001 explorer. I looked in the usual places, behind the passenger side kick panel and behind the glove box. Any other suggestions?

02 Explorer XLT, No 4WD. I researched this problem extensively on the internet and continued to get very confusing information. Some were positive it would be the Transfer case motor and others said the 4Wd CM is the notorious problem with the 02 Explorer. Well after reading the many remarks in this forum, and many hours removing, diagnosing and assuring the tranfers case motor was receiving power, operating and not hanging up, I located a 4WD CM in a local junk yard. Lucky again, it was a newer revised 4WD CM. I plugged it in and it cured my problem, now I have a fully functioning 02 4WD Explorer, again. Thanks to everyone on this website, it cost me $50 for the CM and some of my time, but its better than paying the repair shop to "bend me over" for $300-$500.
For those of you whom been told these modules and your vehicle must be "reprogrammed", That is B***SH**!!! Its an computer board module, programmed prior to being shipped to the parts stores...Plug it in and go!!! Thanks again guys..

on my 2007 Ranger, I had to remove radio. The contol module is on the drivers side of the radio. I had to remove a heating duct to remove module. I did not reprogram either

If you can get ahold of a scanner you watch and and see the switches and motors are working.

this is how i pin pointed my non working 4wd in my 02 ranger. i noticed the 4wd lights on the dash werent cycling on and off when i started the car.

my control module had alot of green corrosion on the connector terminals. fortunately i had another explorer and swapped the parts. sure enough the control module was dead.

ordered a replacement....good to go.

I have a question, under your post why do you have all of these other cars and years ? i ask because my car is one that you had posted. 2002 4x4 eddie bower edition explorer. 4.0 L

Hey guys, I just replaced my cm in a 02 Ranger, how much is at direct ford parts ? I paid $128.31 priority shiping, and tax. got mine at silver state ford parts. Thanks, and good luck!.

Hi Everyone

Nice to be part of this community. When I need help on my truck this is where I go.

I have a Question if anyone could answer it please. My 4x4 will not engage on my 2002 Ranger. None of my 4x4 light come on when I toggle through them. Even when the cab gets warm. I noticed they don't come on when the truck is started. Could that be the module?

Rangerrob

After much research I replaced the 4x4control module tonight. Everything is back to working properly. Lights light up on dash when started, 4 HI and 4 LOW engage when switched to. If you vehicle is at least 6 years old and at least 100,000 miles, this seems to be the fix. I bought part# 1L5Z7E453AC from silverstatefordparts.com. Got the part for $134 shipped in about 3 business days. Snap out the right front kick panel and you will see a black box with two harnesses of wires connected to it. you will need a 7mm ratchet to remove. BE SURE TO DISCONECT BATTERY BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY OF THIS. This is the black box you need to replace (notice the model number on the original is a little different than the one stated above. that is fine.) remove and replace. This seems to fix what you are describing. If not, there is a 30 day return on the part. you can't go wrong.

Thanks for the info. I am going to buy the module in a couple of weeks. I don't like having a 4x4 truck without 4x4. Kind of pointless. I live in Kentucky, we've been getting some snow. I need my 4x4. I know soon as I replace it I will not need it, but I like my truck to be at 100%. You never know.

4x4 control module

That what I said too then 3 days later we had the blizzard here in the midwest. 4x4 worked great. let me know if the new module is your fix. Just curious. Good luck.:)

I replaced my 4x4 Module Thursday and works perfect. Thanks for all the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Replaced my module and it fixed all problems. Works great and Explorer now shifts into both 4X4 HI and LOW.

Best price was from autopartstomorrow.com for $168 including free fedex shipping. I ordered it in the evening and had it the next day.

My P/N was TM-153 (1L2Z-7E453-A)

Back