4.0 OHV & SOHC Go Fast Goodies!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 OHV & SOHC Go Fast Goodies!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah I didn't learn about the sites before today they are really good. But I still am pretty clueless about some of that stuff. Like the short blocks would everything line up together, or would it be too much of a headache to even think about doing something like that. Because i would like to have the 400 or 500 hp engine in there.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

this is probobly a really dumb question here but its been bothering me for a while now: is the mustang 4.0L SOCH and the X 4.0L SOCH the same engine?

I cant wait for my airforce signing bonus =D 13k and i want to put most of it into a fully built sohc engine to replace my current 195k 4.0

This is a really old thread I'm bringing back up, but aren't there more sites out there for the 4.0L OHV Explorers?

This is a really old thread I'm bringing back up, but aren't there more sites out there for the 4.0L OHV Explorers?

yea i agree! if so, please post some.

this is probobly a really dumb question here but its been bothering me for a while now: is the mustang 4.0L SOCH and the X 4.0L SOCH the same engine?

Never got answered...

Answer is yes, basically. Same block, same general design and all that, but the SOHC has increased in power output somewhat over the years so I'd expect different heads/cams/etc to have been used depending on the year and application. Still, the 4.0 SOHC in the new Mustangs makes many performance options available for OHV and SOHC Explorers.

Bumping this up once again!

I'll give a hint...

morana v6 racing

Would it be better to rebuild my OHV 4.0L and install better guts/heads or would I benefit from upgrading to the SOHC 4.0L for a SC build?

I would go with a 4.0 SOHC but that's me.

So with that engine, I would not have to build it up to put in a SC? How strong is it?

I dont think its a supercharger....its says supercharger plate.

It all depends on how far you want to push the motor. For a roots type blower running under 8 LBS and tuned correctly, you shouldn't have a problem with a stock 4.0 SOHC. For the root's blower your enemy will be the intake charge heating up. The further you push the power adder out of its range, the more the air charge will heat, which in return can cause the engine to start detonating. (the explosion happens before it's supposed to and while the piston is on the way up) You want the explosion to happen at a point where the piston will not bind in the cylinder.....anyways, I don’t want to ramble off topic too much in this thread.

Ok, so what about the stock OHV motor? Is it the same as the SOHC? What's the differences in it?

Ok, so what about the stock OHV motor? Is it the same as the SOHC? What's the differences in it?

I'm not 100% about the actual type of rod in the ohv but one thing in your favor is the ohv has a 9.1:0 CR where the SOHC has a 9.7:0 CR. The lower CR will resist detonation a little better but it won't make the same power as the SOHC at the same level of boost. (the sohc will be a little more powerful)

If you already have an OHV then it would be easier to stick with it. Just state your goals and someone can direct you better.

EDIT - something doesn't look right in this post. Who can find it?

Yes, I have a 1991 OHV engine that's on its final leg. Its got one or more lifters knocking, and its getting louder.
Since I am unsure what the stock power is in the OHV's, I'm kinda not real sure what HP levels I'm wanting. Once I know stock power, then I can go from there. I can't imagine it being very much like 200 HP, if that. I'm wanting a get-up-and-go SUV, that not only has speed but more power. I'm not a speed demon, nor do I go off-roading. I just want more power in my engine, without having to go thru the pains of a V8 swap.
I think supercharger vs turbo would be better? I want the power all the time. I also want to be able to work on it myself.

A roots type blower would be easier to install, if you had the SOHC, because RPCaster has a kit on ebay. I don't think he has a 0hv version.

The turbo would give you more power but the tradeoff against a charger is; it's harder to install; not quit the same throttle response; and a different sound.

You could search a name "Doug904" (AKA bama chips owner) and you'll come up with a lot of hits. He's one of the only I know about that has really made some power with the ohv back in the day. I believe he built the motor and ran nitrous.

It's up to you but if you just want more power without breaking the bank then the OHV does have potential. You can also use a SOHC oil pan to strengthen the bottom end a bit. Not to mention Morana has a girddle for it.

I won't use nitrous, period. If I'm gonna make power, I want to do it right. So noone out there makes a sc for the ohv's??

What does a girddle do?
Posted via Mobile Device

Back