Explorers refused at Discount Tire? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorers refused at Discount Tire?

Ok, today was the day I finally could go get my 31's put on my truck. I drive all the way out to Discount, after calling ahead and making a appointment, and checking price, availability, etc. Well I pay for em, they pull milage, check rim size blah blah, pull the truck in and then tell me minutes later they were not allowed to put anything other than factory stock size on any Explorer. I was refunded and sent packing.
Is this something new, and does it apply any where else? I expect the Uhaul turndown, but not this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Another problem with buying on line is alot of places charge out the a$$ for mounting & balancing if you don't buy the tires from them.

Two years ago when I was looking for new tires I looked at Tirerack but 3 places I called for mounting & balancing quotes wanted bewteen $25-$30 a tire for mounting & balancing:eek: :eek: :eek:

There are a few places around me that will mount and balance for $10-11 each. That is with using tape weights also.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

The local Discount Tire here would not put anything but 235-75-15 on my 96. I was kinda considering 30-9.50-15, but i figured the larger size might affect my MPG a bit, so the stock size was chosen.

i just had my 33s balanced at discount. i also order a new one and they gave me no hassle. they actually wanted to mount them on my ex for me.

I don,t think its just explorers. they won,t put anything other then stock size tires on any vehicle. I had the same problem with my pathfinder ten years ago

I had the same problem with NTB a few days ago. I wanted 31s but they would only put on 235/75 R15s on my 2wd EX. I was in a bind and did it anyway. Not as big as I would like but the ride has improved greatly. Planning on doing a lift this summer on the EX and will upgrade then but only plan on bringing the rims to the store and go from there.

had mine put on at pepboys with the only question being asked is WILL THEY FIT? I said sure as hell hope so, other than that no probs.

An old thread I know but along the lines I was looking for......
I just put Pathfinder A/T's (265/70/16's) on my 2000 X & was wondering what they where like. I know they're made by Goodyear for Pathfinder/Discount Tires but any other info would be great.
Thanks

p.s. Don't you guy's run 16" on X's over there, mine (in :australia) came out with 255/70/16's. I haven't seen anybody on here say anything about 16" rims/tires for 2nd Gen. X's.

Get some tire spoons and mount them yourself..

What the tire companies don't know is the firestone tire fiasco is mostly the fault of unknowing yuppies who think that a SUV should handle like a minivan. I seen a report that if the idiots didn't panic and do something stupid no problems would have happened.

Sorry to disagree but I put most of the blame on firestone/bridgestone for building crap tires. I had them on my BII and at least five of them come apart on me at various times. While I never lost it I imagine the expectation of most people would be for a tire to remain round and in one piece. Having one come apart suddenly at 60 is not a pleasant experience. While the yupp's may have limited or even poor driving skills Explorers are not the only SUV they are driving.

old thread but i had the same problem with discount and sams club.my girl ordered some 295/75/16 all terrans for her f-350 from sams,she asked me what size and she gave them the size what they would be going on and the manager walked out there and looked at her truck and said does your boyfriend know they wont fit because the truck is not lifted.she said he is going to lift it this weekend and then they will fit.he called me and spoke with me for a few minutes about it and had her sign a form stating they would be put on a modified vehicle,whatever.they show up 2 days later and she pays for them with the sams card that she got talked into using.they said pull your truck around the side and we will load them for you,no i want them mounted and balanced and installed on the truck.oh we cant do that unless you have wider rims.what?45 minutes of argueing later we leave with them in the bed with 20%off of them with a mention of a lawyer.discount wouldnt mount them for the same reason,big o did in 20 minutes and it was only $60.whatever.i got her some 315/70/16 all terrains and some new wheels for her birthday,(i know romantic and thoughtful),discount was all over giving a price break and having it done in 45 minutes and being as courteous as possible.while we are waiting i order 33/10.50/15 all terrains for the explorer they load all the vehicle info i pay for it and they say come in tommorow and we will get you out in 30 minutes.same thing they did to some of you,we cant mount them on the ex as they have a policy.well 2 weeks before that they put some 32s in place of the 31s on the same ex,go figure.i got my money back and went to my friends that had them in stock.i mounted and balanced the new tires and saved $320 with a free tire replacement warranty.f discount and sams,we can make our own choices on tire size and what we want to put them on.

TAKE your ford badges off, explorer badges and tell them its a Mazda or Mercury, then they will sell you tires LOL

or just take the wheels in and have them mounted and balanced.

That policy is GAY GAY GAY
Mazda Navajo? no problem!
Mercury Mountaneer? no problem!

so stupid

Get your tires at the tirerack and then take it to an independent or an offroad shop. I got my Kumhos from Tirerack and had them put on at Peerless tire no problems.

What the tire companies don't know is the firestone tire fiasco is mostly the fault of unknowing yuppies who think that a SUV should handle like a minivan. I seen a report that if the idiots didn't panic and do something stupid no problems would have happened.

I whip my explorer like a minivan all the time and it handles it just fine with no rollovers lol. i am actually pretty ruff with my truck but its a beast it handles it all just fine. you would have to be a ****ty driver to roll one. either that or be mud boggin like a ****. :eek:

An old thread I know but along the lines I was looking for......
I just put Pathfinder A/T's (265/70/16's) on my 2000 X & was wondering what they where like. I know they're made by Goodyear for Pathfinder/Discount Tires but any other info would be great.
Thanks

p.s. Don't you guy's run 16" on X's over there, mine (in :australia) came out with 255/70/16's. I haven't seen anybody on here say anything about 16" rims/tires for 2nd Gen. X's.

i have 255/70R16's on my 2000 Ex as well......... we have them here too! haha...

I just bought some 265/75R16 BF Mud terrains and I took them to a Firestone dealer and they wouldnt mount them either... But what really pisses me off is that I asked them staight out... "these tires are oversized, will you still mount them?" There response " Sure no problem" So I give the gentleman my keys and walk down the street to the mall for like two hours wating for my tires to be put on.... Then they call me and tell me they wont put them on!! I was not happy, to say the least.. Fine, you wont mount them but dont waste my damn time!! then the guy has enough nerve to ask if I still want the alignment I was gonna have them do after the tire replacement!

super freakin stupid

here i have never had an issue and i rolled my ex in there on 33s and got them to mount my 38.5s then they asked if i wanted my boggers balanced and said sure if they guarantee they wont vibrate......

When I get Tires for my Ex I plan on taking the rims in and if they ask me what its for Im going to tell em this

" It doesnt matter what they are going on im paying you money to buy THOSE tires and mount them on THOSE rims"

If they dont like It I will find some one who will and give them MY money.

Sorry but if a shop refuses me i will NEVER EVER EVER take ANY of my vehicles there EVER again. If they are that worried than they should have you sign a waver saying they are not responsible for the affect of the tire on the vehicle (rolling over and bla bla bla)

hmm well i drive like a feaking maniac as well, and here's my 1995 X on 24's... which I had to put on myself... and they wouldn't put them on. Freaking retards.

This has been in effect for about 4 years.

31979150008_medium.jpg

31979150006_large.jpg

Here it is on various sets of 22s
31979150011_medium.jpg

31979150015_large.jpg

31979150020_large.jpg

and ive had others... had oversized wheels for 6 years on this truck and never had issues other than ball joints. Never rolled it or even been close.

TAKE your ford badges off, explorer badges and tell them its a Mazda or Mercury, then they will sell you tires LOL

or just take the wheels in and have them mounted and balanced.

That policy is GAY GAY GAY
Mazda Navajo? no problem!
Mercury Mountaneer? no problem!

so stupid

No joke...

The 33x12.50x15 BFG All-Terrains I bought at Costco?

"No, we won't install them on an Explorer."
"Yes, we will install them on a Mountaineer."

Completely ridiculous. If I instruct a tire RESELLER to install something outside of factory spec, how the heck are they liable for anything that happens?

Nobody in my area would install non-stock tires on my Explorer. Fortunately we have a tire machine in the shop at work. I learned how to install them myself. Now the tires get shipped from TireRack directly to work. Much cheaper and more convenient this way.

When I buy a second set of Cragars, and the mud tires for this summer, I'm just going to tell Costco that it's for a custom-built off-road only mud vehicle, and hopefully avoid the whole hassle.

Back