Air Suspension -Slamming an Explorer- | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Air Suspension -Slamming an Explorer-

Also, searching around the forum, I came across this picture. What is the purpose of this? Can this work with the Explorer?

Attachments

• Bagged Suspension 3.jpg
    Bagged Suspension 3.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 2,363

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Considered a "Z" in the frame. It's to help lay frame without getting the suspension as low as you would normally need to if you didn't "Z" the frame.

For an explorer, I think you would have to raise the floor of the cargo area as much as your "Z" the frame. You would also have to mess with body mounts, obviously. Do it! :D

Probably some motor mount changes too since the trans will be however many inches lower you go on the "Z." Or if you're body dropping you can just build a new trans x-member and raise the tunnel for the trans more. And I'm sure there is more. :)

Search that site for "Z frame."

Considered a "Z" in the frame. It's to help lay frame without getting the suspension as low as you would normally need to if you didn't "Z" the frame.

For an explorer, I think you would have to raise the floor of the cargo area as much as your "Z" the frame. You would also have to mess with body mounts, obviously. Do it! :D

Nope, a Z raises the the engine/ crossmember with all of the suspension mounts so that the bottom of the crossmember is level with the bottom of the frame. The reason for doing this is because the engine crossmember hangs below the frame. So when the truck is layed out the front crossmember would hold the front of the truck up higher than the rest of it, in other words the truck would sit cali style when layed out and not lay out perfictly flat.

No reason to mess with any floor or body mounts just because of a Z that only comes into play with a body drop. But depending on the size of the Z the type of truck and other variables make sure motor/ tranny does not need to be tunneled into the firewall area because it will raise the motor and tranny. You May be able to lower the motor some by building new motor mounts or modifying the stock ones but make sure you have good oil pan clearances.

Also the 91-94 Ibeam suspension explorers do not have to be Z'ed to lay out flat.

Now if you are keeping your leaf springs with bags on them not relocating your gas tank (to a fuel cell) and not building a raised transmission crossmember(in other words your not laying true frame) you wont need to Z the front clip as the truck will sit level laying out on the crossmembers and rear spring hangers.

As for shocks you just put them where ever they fit and function correctly with out the wheels hitting them when turning. Most setups go from the back side of the lower control arm up to the frame. You can notice the upper shock bracket in the picture with the Z. But make sure the tires do not rub them at any point in a turn at ride height.

This thread and the other body drop thead should be stickied!

Also, searching around the forum, I came across this picture. What is the purpose of this? Can this work with the Explorer?

Well, I had to print this picture out and take it outside for comparison. What I found is that this is not a very easy situation. While it would obviously lower the truck and raise the front crossmember, there are a number of things that would have to be modified also. Firstly, the motor mounts would need to be lowered on the inside of the frame rails so you could close your hood without the motor sticking through. Secondly you would need to also cut and z the front portion of the chassis (in front of suspension mounts) so that the radiator support would still hold the radiator without it also poking through the hood. Another thing I couldn't really tell just by looking, but the steering column linkage before the rack would need some shortening/adjusting obviously. Aside from all that, the inner tire wells and most brackets and mounts would need some removal or modification since everything will be either moving up or down from it's factory locale.
Another issue people attempting this should realize is that the chassis is not simply straight bar stock steel. it has tons of bends and gradual turns. Behind the suspension (where the chassis is cut in the picture up there) the chassis narrows width wise, meaning the chassis rails bend inward towards the tranny. I would cut the chassis in the straightest portion which seems to be right behind where it is cut in that picture. They would have had to weld in a ton of reinforcements to mate the cuts together there, so I'm not sure what the deal with that is.
I've done several chassis for Lamborghini replica vehicles (both tubular chassis and Fiero) and when a fiero based chassis is used the rear engine cradle needs to be extended out roughly a foot, and up several inches. Now with "Zing" an Explorer, this is essentially the same as what I did on those chassis' but in this case it is just going to be raised up... not forward and up, so it should be much easier. To do that and keep everything straight all you have to do is tack a perfectly straight piece of angle iron anywhere to the chassis with a small level clamped on before you make any cuts (while the chassis is sitting on level ground at normal ride height). From there it's just making tons of measurements diagonally and every other way to make sure you're square and then welding in appropriate gussets and filler pieces.
Over all, it seems like a great way to lower the front without horrible camber problems, but there is a lot of modification required. Granted, it's not that bad for anyone who is confident enough that they could weld it safely, but it is definitely not a weekend job.

The sad part is is that I did some measurements....Even with my 20's I'd only be tucking roughly 2" in the front if I used the stock crossmember location without "Z-Ing". That thing is LOW!!

99 two door

hey if anyone needs pics i just z'd the front of mine and its now less than an inch from laying rockers... i have pics of my whol build too

hey if anyone needs pics i just z'd the front of mine and its now less than an inch from laying rockers... i have pics of my whol build too

Start a build thread and post up the pics in there! :cool:

Back