4.0 SOHC Custom Exhaust Options | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 SOHC Custom Exhaust Options

True, but so is using a tailpipe(s).

Very True. Very True. But, this is how people learn. I know that I had no clue about what kind of exhaust to get. Thats the great thing about the forum, it connects those that know with those that dont. Everyone can find something to benefit from.

This is a perfect example.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I prefer tailpipes for those reasons, but it also lowers the volume. Tailpipes are easy to choose, the tips and mufflers are key. Do the tips for looks, and mufflers for the sound you want.

Note that bigger tips make it all louder, a 4.0 engine doesn't need larger than one 3" tailpipe. Those glass packs seem rather quiet for the typical expectations, that they are larger helps. The smaller the total volume of muffler there is, the louder the exhaust will be.

I would like to hear more of the Borla XS mufflers, they seem really small(short), but supposedly are among the quietest. I have one Edelbrock SDT muffler(plus a resonator) in my SOHC truck, it could be quieter for my use. I need two mufflers with more flow for my V8 truck, I wish the XS mufflers came about twice as long. Regards,

yeah i've noticed biiig performance changes when working with my tailpipe-less exhaust. with no muffler my highway mileage SUCKED, but just with the glasspacks it has improved a little. as soon as i get some more cash i'm gonna finish out the rest of the exhaust, (and maybe add an H/X pipe, i hear they really help v6's perform better) but thanks for that bit of info, that kinda helps me realize why my mileage has been bad recently.

personally as far as tips go, i REALLY like the way dual 22" x 3.5" chrome tips look on a X Sport. :D
Picture6.png

they're really sporty and aggressive looking, plus they sound pretty deep.
note: the chrome looks better clean

i personally like the lightning style tips, im thinking i might try to get a shop to do a catless duals with h pipe and slp loudmouth's or something of that nature, not sure on piping size, dual 2" would be sufficient? im gonna go with dual chrome tips out each side in front of the rear spring hangar...my flowmaster delta 40 single in single out is just not loud enough for me at all. Its nice for a classy tone, i might get some videos up eventually but its just not loud enough :D

duals on each side may be hard, unless you have a 4 door, i know on my sport the gas tank runs right up to the front of the leaf springs, on the driver's side. but i agree, duals on each side would look cool. i considered taking the curved end piece off of the back of my step rails and running exhaust out right in front of the rear tire, and right behind the end of the step rail, to give it an "integrated" look, like it was built to be there.

i think if i get the jba headers and have an h pipe, then the mufflers and tips it might be short enough to fit, ill have to take a look under there. might have to dump the muffler idea :D

I'm instaling a cherrybomb glasspack this week. I'm going to take the 2 pipes coming from the headers and run them into a Y-Pipe and then to the glasspack and out the back. Saves me a few buck but I do like the duals. Remember the exit of the tail pipe has to be at the rear of the truck since it doesnt have a bed. The trunk area is considered part of the cab and if it exits infront of the back tire then it will not pass inspection. (At least in Pa)

i got single in and dual out 40 series flows and i still got all my cats but eventually i wanna go true dual and get rid of 2 of my cats.

... get rid of 2 of my cats.
Cauz CA (or any state) will let you do that...

The actions implied in the statement above, is what the state of CA will let you do. The state of CA will allow a vehicle with such modifications implied in the statement above to be operated on CA roads. The statement above implies actions which the state of CA will allow you to perform. A vehicle with modifications implied in the statement above is legal to operate on CA roads. Operation of a vehicle on CA roads with modification implied in the statement above is legal. There are no legal or environmental issues in the operation of a vehicle with modifications stated above within the state of CA.

Alll this..assuming, that "cats" means two or more animal of the family Felidae (suborder Feliformia, order Carnivora, class Mammalia, phylum Chordata, kingdom Animalia) which you will "get rid of" or "dispose of" in a properly AND humane manner.

i live in cali

i know what u meant

Can anyone that do have this $100 book answer this question?
Pick up a book or two on exhaust theory, you'll know exactly why "back pressure" is unnecessary and why you have no power/torque starting from a dead stop.

Thanks, AKLMFREAK for the info. I have been watching utube vids of different sounding exhaust, and liked your setup the best.i have the same exact truck you do. [except mines white].I own a welder and sawzall and have done a bunch of muffler work in the past. I think im going your route. That having to look at the tack to see if it is running is driving me crazy.

I did this, and if you are going to modify your factory exhaust anyway, try this.-Saw off the tailpipe behind the factory muffler. that gets rid of the resonator and some pipe. Get a turndown from your local parts store and put that behind the muffler. 2 1-4 fit my 2000 ex. turn the pipe down so it echoes off the ground.Yes this only cost under 10.00 but you might just like it! No gain in h.p. or milage, just sounds better than stock for cheep. I still like that glasspack sound, but a flow 40 has my attention also! KEEP IT RUNNING!!

Hey, has anyone tried a walker fx? They are supposed to sound between a flowmaster 40-50. I can get one for about 90.00. figured I could eather dump it with a turndown, or runn it out the back depending on the sound.

Aklmfreak, I went with your set up. Put on long 12in. turndowns and 27in. thrush packs. Used factory hangers and welded it all together this morning. Sounds awesome! Simular to a small block with flow 40 on it. My butt dyno is broke, but I am just a cruser- daily driver. I will post any fuel milage difference in the near future. currently getting 21mpg stop and go to work. Not much highway to speak of. To the naysayers and those thinking about exhaust, DO IT! IT IS AWSOME! I was a child of the 60,s and I like it. It cost 78.00 and change from advanced auto, but I did all the labor myself

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update on the millage, it is exactly the same. Thinking about tailpipes out the back. At 1800rpms crusing, it sounds great. Getting there is just a little annoying. But still not bad. Keep in mind, I have swiss cheezed my air box below the filter. Caution, that debate on air filter stuff on this forum is brutal! My dumps come down on my two door just under the back seats with the 27in. packs.

Back