2004 Explorer transmission bangs coming from park to reverse or drive? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Explorer transmission bangs coming from park to reverse or drive?

Bri2004

Reaction score
City, State
Wayland NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer transmission bangs coming from park to reverse or drive?
It has 38k on it. What is the fix?
Is it ok just to leave it like this? or will it screw up the tranny?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a u joint to me..

It's not a u joint. It has like a delay going into gear. Then it engages with a bang. Would a tranny fluid and filter change help?

Did you check the u joints?
Cause it sure sounds like one to me too...

Yes I checked the u joints. All ok. I did a search in the transmission section on this forum and it seems to be a common problem. Some have changed the solenoid pack and some have worked others have not. Others have changed the fluid and filter and worked and others have not. So last night I changed the fluid and filter and seems ok but we will see what happens over time.

2004 Explorer transmission bangs coming from park to reverse

I first posted this question in the 02-05 forum. Then I saw the transmission forum. So here is my issue.

2004 Explorer transmission bangs coming from park to reverse.
It has 38k on it. What is the fix?
Is it ok just to leave it like this? or will it screw up the tranny?

It's not a u joint. It has like a delay going into gear. Then it engages with a bang. Would a tranny fluid and filter change help?

Yes I checked the u joints. All ok. I did a search in the transmission section on this forum and it seems to be a common problem. Some have changed the solenoid pack and some have worked others have not. Others have changed the fluid and filter and worked and others have not. So last night I changed the fluid and filter and seems ok but we will see what happens over time.

Keep us posted.
I had a mustang once that would barely drive, gave it a trans fluid change and a bottle of lucas and used it for another couple yrs!

My 2002 does the same thing, but not always. It sometimes happens when I am parked on a steep incline. I think it is Trans Fluid level related. I do not have a dip stick on mine so I can not tell the level.

Check the driveshaft's spline where the two halves meet -- make sure its full of grease. Next thing to check would be for any "play" on the rear axle's pinion (very common for the third gen to have rear differential issues).

Not Sure

I know the "clunck" you are refering to, but when I select reverse and nothing happens I'll increase the RPM's and then "bang" it slams into gear.

I am going to replace the selonoid. Hope it cures it.

All is well after replacing the selonoid.

First time I saw this post, I was going to tell you to try the selonoid ,but it seems you're 2 days ahead of me!

On a side note: I had a front wheel drive sedan that had the same issue you say, it turned out to be the engine dog bone mounts as it was a V6 mounted sideways so the engine block would torque when you switched gears.

transmission banging in gear

i have a 2004 Explorer with 130k miles. Changing from drive to reverse and back comes with a long pause and then slams in gear. i'm not sure what to do. Are there any other year models or other vehicles with same transmission??

most common was a solenoid body, if that dont fix it, its internal to the unit, considering the solenoid body can be done in vehicle and its not 700 dollars no more but in the 2-300 range its probably a good shot to change it.

Back