Kenne bell 5.0 .... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Kenne bell 5.0 ....

Ok, So I pole-smoked this one and didnt get any pics of the installation.... But here it is.

- 91 mustang 5.0L stock longblock for now.
- 2.2 Kenne Bell Polished with bypass. (6psi for now)
- 36lb Ford blue top injectors.
- 77mm pro flow MAF sensor.
- 80mm Ford racing Throttle body (94-95 style)
- 255 lph walbro fuel pump.
- K&N Large Filter custom cold air set-up.
- Autolite 3924 plugs.. 1 heat range colder than stock. gapped .035
- MSD 6AL with 6000 rpm pill
- MSD Blaster TFI Coil (mustang specific)
- MSD 8.8mm Super Conductor wires.
- MSD cap and rotor.

-Tuned by me with a Tweecer R/T
-Custom Long tubes with 3" single exhaust.
-Single High flow cat
-Flowmaster series 50 Muffler. 3" in and out.

Here are a couple of pics...

Attachments

• DSC00302.JPG
    DSC00302.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 1,952
  • DSC00303.JPG
    DSC00303.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 1,607
  • DSC00305.JPG
    DSC00305.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 1,540
  • DSC00306.JPG
    DSC00306.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 5,311

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here are a couple more of the engine compartment.

Attachments

• Drivers Side Msd Batt.JPG
    Drivers Side Msd Batt.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 1,409
  • Pass Side Fender Well.JPG
    Pass Side Fender Well.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 1,455
  • Pass Side Air Filter.JPG
    Pass Side Air Filter.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 1,363

Here is the 1st dyno I got after the install... It was lean starting at 4200 Rpm and by 6000 it was way lean 13.6 AFR . Target is 11.4.

I have since fixed the lean issue But I have to get a new dyno run. Ill be getting it soon. I expect atleast 25-30 more HP and TQ?? Check out the torque curve of the kenne bell!!! got love it.

I plan on getting water/meth injection and bumping up the boost to
12ish psi... That should crank out pretty good.

Its not a very good picture but... The first run file was shut down way early, so disregard that one. Dont forget this is through 37" tires also...

The net increase was about 80RWHP and 80RWTQ...

You can pretty mush see right at 4200 rpm the torque starts diving and the hp starts to taper off. Thats because it was lean. I cant wait to get it back on the dyno!

Attachments

• Dyno 2 6psi.jpg
    Dyno 2 6psi.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,401

gotta love boost!

Jeff - :navajo:

Wow Im really surprised how low those numbers are.

Bad ass! You street guys better step it up. A 4x4 Explorer with 37's is putting down more power than most of you. ;)

Very good, very clean work. I really do wish that we had a little more room to add boost easier. Keep going, inspiration is helpful.

Thanks guys for the compliments....

Redranger4.0:
Stock mustang 5.0 engines are dogs. They only come with 225 HP and thats at the crank not the rear wheels. The beauty of them however, is they are easy to get horsepower out of them. When my 5.0 was stock it only dynoed 196 HP through my drivetrain... It has alot left in it. These dyno numbers were also very lean 13.6:1 AFR. I should be able to get it back on the dyno soon and see better results now that it has been richened up. Also, water methanol, 12psi,and some more timing should be worth another 100 or so rear wheel hp.... The stock heads are Very restrictive ;)

It was running super duper lean with 6psi. Just getting the bugs worked out should make the numbers you are expecting.

Looking good Tim. A 4wd drive train and 37" tires eat a bunch of power. Swap some 31"s on there for a dyno run and I bet you would see the numbers go up.

Nice :drool: is this gonna make an appearance at TDS?

Looking good Tim. A 4wd drive train and 37" tires eat a bunch of power. Swap some 31"s on there for a dyno run and I bet you would see the numbers go up.

Ditto, I expect to lose 50-75hp in my 4WD also. I will have more than the low boost Eaton XP8's, but not the 350RWHP+ that would show in a Mustang. Making a heavy truck fast is a whole lot tougher than a light sports car.

Ditto, I expect to lose 50-75hp in my 4WD also. I will have more than the low boost Eaton XP8's, but not the 350RWHP+ that would show in a Mustang. Making a heavy truck fast is a whole lot tougher than a light sports car.

Yeah the AWD is a killer sometimes, but other times I'm real glad I have it.

I love the full time traction, hopefully the BW4406 clutches have a long lifespan.

I hope to be at TDS! Right now I am scrambling trying to find a cheap used 4.88 for the dana 30. I changed my rear not to long ago and I got to match up the front. Im not going unless I can get it matched up.... Problem is, im broke right now, :D . I hate to even spend any money on that axle because my full width axles are just waiting to go in :rolleyes: I need to win the lottery!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hope to be at TDS! Im not going unless I can get it matched up....
IIRC, you had unmatched gears the first year we saw you at TDS! :p: :D

Back