remove upper intake plenum 00 SOHC 4.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

remove upper intake plenum 00 SOHC 4.0

bubspc

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas Nevada
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 XLT
Hi replacing bypass hose need help removing upper intake plenum, the tricks and what to watch out for or a link, searched the forums for 4 hrs cant find threads on 00 SOHC 4.0, thanks for any help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did the upper and lower intake gaskets last week using that write up. One note, the back couple of bolts are tricky. I had to remove the wiring harness from the ECU to access one of them. Good luck!

Josh do u know # of bolts? thanks

Oh and PLEASE dont drop any bolts-happened to me- one lodged iin the tearing rack and took me 2- yes 2 hours to get out! CAn you imagine the swearing going on?

Hi 8 screws, thread was great, thanks for the help

Yea 8 for the upper. Do your self a favor and screw them back into the plenum before putting it on... I dropped one as well and it rolled down on top of the trans. Had to get it through the trap door under the center console... much profanity was used that night.

Yea 8 for the upper. Do your self a favor and screw them back into the plenum before putting it on... I dropped one as well and it rolled down on top of the trans. Had to get it through the trap door under the center console... much profanity was used that night.

You don't have to take the screws all the way out of the upper plenum, just loosen enough to free them from the lower intake and it will come free. That way you don't lose or drop screws. ;)

I have an 07 '07 Ford explorer 4.0 what is that metal tube in the intake manifold that goes to the EGR valve does that come out of an old one and go into a new one cuz the new one doesn't come with that and how hard is it to get out

if im thinking of the right part it transfers. mine took a decent yank, but i lubricated w some penetrating o first, and changed that o ring that seals it(or did i just lube it i forgot already)

If it's designed like the previous generation of SOHC's, the tube has to be separated from the manifold as you lift it off. Here is the green "O" ring that will sometimes cause you trouble when separating the two...and, should be replaced upon reassembly.

If it's designed like the previous generation of SOHC's, the tube has to be separated from the manifold as you lift it off. Here is the green "O" ring that will sometimes cause you trouble when separating the two...and, should be replaced upon reassembly.
yeah that was the one!!! couldnt put my finger on what it was :banghead:

Back