What's the difference with the various 5R55 transmissions? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What's the difference with the various 5R55 transmissions?

ageranger

Reaction score
City, State
yorktown, va
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS 2wd
does anybody know what the differance is between the 5R55S, 5R55W and the 5R55E? just wondering cause with all the problems out there i never hear anything about the 5R55S which is whats in my X. thanks for the help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What's the difference in transmissions?

This is directly from the ATSG Manual.

The Ford 5R55S and 5R55W transmissions are both very similiar in design to the Ford 5R55N transmission and use electronic shift controls. The 5R55s/5R55w are both "Syncrounous" units, as they do not use the intermediate clutch and intermediate sprag that the 5R55N incorporates. The Ford 5R55S and 5R55W transmissions were introduced in 2002, found in the Ford Explorer and Mercury Mountaineer vehicles, and are available in both 2WD and 4WD configurations. For model year 2003 they are also in the Lincoln LS, Lincoln Aviator and Ford Thunderbird. They are designed for operation in longitudinal powertrains for rear wheel drive vehicles.

5R55S Gear Ratios 5R55W Gear Ratios
1st Gear 3.22 3.22
2nd Gear 2.29 2.41
3rd Gear 1.54 1.54
4th Gear 1.00 1.00
5th Gear 0.71 0.75
Reverse 3.07 3.07

I don't have any information on 5R55E transmission.
Hope this answers your question.

The 5R55E has a separate bell housing, and a dipstick fill tube unlike the other 3 models. The other 3 have no dipstick fill tube, a unitary (one piece) case design, and 2 large servos on the passenger's side.

Is it possible and what would I need to do to replace my 5R55S with the 5R55E with a dipstick?

The 5R55E has a separate bell housing, and a dipstick fill tube unlike the other 3 models. The other 3 have no dipstick fill tube, a unitary (one piece) case design, and 2 large servos on the passenger's side.
Does it have the same crossmember linkage and sensors? Would it be a good idea to replace trans with one with a dipstick? I would like to be able to monitor fluid to catch any problem before I need another rebuild. Seems like a very bad design

The E and the S/W are not interchangeable. Several years ago a member her that goes by imp made a dipstick set up for the S/W transmission. Maybe he will see this and chime in.

Transmission Fluid on 05 explorer
Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by NHarris, July 10, 2010. ( I don't know how to tag that thread.)

This was the thread that imp showed how he built a pan with a dipstick. I also found this it for a mustang but could probably be made to fit the Explorer. Maybe company has a 4x4 pan?
IMG_3578.PNG

The E and the S/W are not interchangeable. Several years ago a member her that goes by imp made a dipstick set up for the S/W transmission. Maybe he will see this and chime in.
@shucker1
I woke up, finally! OK, here's how a poor man did the dipstick thing.

5r55s_10.jpg

My stock pan, with a 3/4" steel compression elbow braised in place. Cut the hole nice and clean using a chassis punch. Tube is 3/4" seamless steel hydraulic tubing; the compression bead and nut are visible. Dipstick is a standard 90's era Mustang 5.0L engine part, cut to appropriate length. Marked stick after filling trans. to proper level. The bends in the tube are, of course, dictated by obstructions in the way.

5r55s_11.jpg

Here's how it fits together.

oil_pa13.jpg

Looking upwards, under the Ex.

oil_pa14.jpg

A closer underneath view. I took the time & effort to do this when I was replacing the solenoid module, ~ 50K ago, about 6 years now, hasn't leaked a drop. Had no idea someone had marketed a similar kit; Guess I missed the boat again! imp

Does it have the same crossmember linkage and sensors? Would it be a good idea to replace trans with one with a dipstick? I would like to be able to monitor fluid to catch any problem before I need another rebuild. Seems like a very bad design
I think it is a bad design to. All vehicles with an Automatic Xmission should have a dipstick to check the amount of fluid and see the color of the oil.

I think it is a bad design to. All vehicles with an Automatic Xmission should have a dipstick to check the amount of fluid and see the color of the oil.
While I cannot disagree with you, stating what ought to be, and what isn't, doesn't help us live with what they give us. I wonder if Ford is alone in eliminating the dipstick? imp

I don't know if FMC is the only company that does this or if any other company is doing this as well. When you are a DIY selfer like I am it helps to be able to see the fluid to see if it is low or if it needs changing or if there are particles of metal or fiber mixed in the fluid to see if there is a problem. I am not a Mechanical Engineer, but I use to work on MRAPs before I had to retire early. Life Support Systems.

Ford is not the only manufacturer doing this. Very common anymore with late model transmissions. Chrysler will give you a dip stick tube when you purchase a new vehicle but then charge you $40-60 dollars for the stick. Oh yeah, then you have to have the scanner to monitor the transmission temperature as you measure the marks on the dipstick you just bought.

I don't know if FMC is the only company that does this or if any other company is doing this as well. When you are a DIY selfer like I am it helps to be able to see the fluid to see if it is low or if it needs changing or if there are particles of metal or fiber mixed in the fluid to see if there is a problem. I am not a Mechanical Engineer, but I use to work on MRAPs before I had to retire early. Life Support Systems.
Agree, and understand! The little dribble issuing from the tiny plug below the pan gives little clue to fluid quality. The design pissed me off enough to bother adding a dipstick. See earlier posts, this thread. imp

Ford is not the only manufacturer doing this. Very common anymore with late model transmissions. Chrysler will give you a dip stick tube when you purchase a new vehicle but then charge you $40-60 dollars for the stick. Oh yeah, then you have to have the scanner to monitor the transmission temperature as you measure the marks on the dipstick you just bought.
Amazing development! WTH comes next, I wonder? Do you ever wonder if maybe ya shoulda become a doctor? imp

Back