Hitch on 2002+ explorers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hitch on 2002+ explorers

Hey guys, quick question:

What is the difference between the standard class II hitch on all the 2002+ explorers and the factory class III/IV hitch besides weight increasing of towing?

Does the class class II and Class III/IV mount to the frame of the vehicle the same way?

Is the increased towing weight increased from the class II to a class III/IIV hitch accomplished by a beefier hitch or is it mounted to the frame with more bolts?

I guess my basic question is that do all hitch sizes share a common mounting place on the frame? If not, what are the differences in the ways the different sizes of hitches mount to the frame?

Thanks.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

to your main question, they both attach at the same point on the frame. The hitch is actually 'part' of the frame, which is why a reciever hitch is standard on all '02 and up explorers. It also supports the step bumper.

You can easily place a class 3 hitch on a class 2 equipped explorer and vice versa.

Thanks, if I wanted to upgrade to a class 4, I would want to pull a hitch from another explorer to replace my class 2 in order to retain the hidden hitch assembly.

I was just wondering to know that they all mount the same way, thanks.

If you get the hitch from another explorer, get the 7 pin wiring harness, too. They are about $120 (or $30/foot) from the Ford dealer!

Another difference between the class II and class III hitches is that Explorer's that came with a class II hitch could come with any available gear ratio. But if the Explorer came with a class III hitch then I believe it always came with a 3.73 gear ratio.

Another difference between the class II and class III hitches is that Explorer's that came with a class II hitch could come with any available gear ratio. But if the Explorer came with a class III hitch then I believe it always came with a 3.73 gear ratio.

Yes you are right on that, I only have the 3.55. So even with a class 4 hitch i could not pull the full amount of weight that the explorer is most capable of.

Thanks, if I wanted to upgrade to a class 4, I would want to pull a hitch from another explorer to replace my class 2 in order to retain the hidden hitch assembly.

I was just wondering to know that they all mount the same way, thanks.

If you get lucky and find one in a junk yard, I say go for it. The tow package on 02-05 explorers in my area is extremely rare, I'd say about 5% of them. I bet it'd take a few days of looking thru junkyards to find a hitch.

I've seen the add on hitch that mounts under the class 2 hitch, but I must be picky because I think it looks silly, and it would annoy me to no end.

I've seen the add on hitch that mounts under the class 2 hitch, but I must be picky because I think it looks silly, and it would annoy me to no end.

I agree, I once saw a 3gen explorer in the walmart parking lot with the "class 2&3 double hitch" set up. Seeing that I almost laughed how crazy it was.

One reason I would want to find a class 3/4 hitch is because I just don't like the look of the class 2. I don't know if its just me, but even though I really couldn't tow any more even if I switched my hitch for a bigger, I would still want to switch them out because I just think the look of the class 2 looks wimpy and ridiculout with such a little hitch on a truck/suv.

However, a little class 2 hitch would look fitting on a fake suv like a little kia suv.:p:

hitch on a 2002 explorer xlt

i just purchased this vehical and someone took off the hitch. my bumper has the cut out for the hitch and was wondering who manufactures the hitches for ford and if any good suggestions for an aftermarket manufactures,im guessing the reeese looks like the one that is stock but thats why i'm posting. i know mine uses a class iii also any suggestion on a good web site for cost of there im seeing 190-280 range depending on who makes it

If someone truly took off the hitch, then they removed part of your bumper also. You can get a replacement at the junk yard (either class II or class III), and put it back on yourself for less than the cost of an aftermarket hitch AND you'll have your bumper back. Also get the wiring harness when you get the hitch AND the bolts.

thanks for all the comments. i have resolved this issue,i found a wimpy class 2 at a junk yard in perfect shape for 20 bucks. for 20 bucks i'll deal with a class 2, but putting it on was a pain in the a** the whole bumper had to come off to slide it onto the frame,but at least it fills the void,i just installed a hitch cover to hide the wimpy lil hole, and the factory wireing was still there just had to snap it back into the hitch bracket....again thanks to all:usa:

I just unbolted a bunch of plastic screws from my bumper, and removed the tail-lights to get to the other bolts.

Then the bumper moved JUST enough to slide the stock hitch off.
I never hadda take the bumper off completely....just enough to give the hitch some play-room to slide off.

I just unbolted a bunch of plastic screws from my bumper, and removed the tail-lights to get to the other bolts.

Once you get those off your about 90% there, then the bumper just lift and pulls out. Goes on just as easy.

i have both on my 02 and use them both, depends on which trailer i'm towing. they are stacked and do look a little funny but it came that way.

Let me see if I could get this right:

If I wanted to replace the Class II hitch on my Explorer, it comes off? I thought it was welded on. Looks so from the bottom. Does the whole 'hitch assembly' come off if you unbolt it and remove the bumper also? Where are the bolts? I think the class II hitch looks dinky on the Exploders...Like that little muffler...Looks out of place.

Also, there is a thread saying something about a an Electronic Trailer Brake thingie behind the glove box...Anyone find it? Care to take a picture? For the life of me I cannot find it:(

Thanks for this. I wanna get a small boat or whatever and start towing with my Explorer. Any tips? Thanks!

I have an '04 its bolt on. I thought the '05 are too, double check, as they started to weld it on but i thought that was '06.
Here are what the bolts look like.

Attachments

• img010sm.jpg
    img010sm.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 4,460
  • img008sm.jpg
    img008sm.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 4,519

Just checked it, it is bolted on:p.

So if I were to find a class three hitch in a junkyard on an Exploder/Mounty, I could just bolt it on?

Also, anyone care to show me with a picture where the 7/4 pin connecters branch off?

jrford, thanks for the pics, it showed me where to look.

Sorry about being a noob on this, but hey, I'm trying to learn!

So if I were to find a class three hitch in a junkyard on an Exploder/Mounty, I could just bolt it on?

Also, anyone care to show me with a picture where the 7/4 pin connecters branch off?

Yep, 04's are DEFINATELY bolt on, apparently 05's are too!

So if you find a class 3 that matches yer truck, it should bolt right on!

Or you can go online and order an Aftermarket Class 3 Hitch which are definately bolt-on.

You need to remove alot of small plastic screws all around (to get the bumper off)....also i had to remove a few plastic screws in the wheel-well area for some reason(cant remember why).
But also, you needa remove the Tail Lights, once done, there are 1 or 2 screws inside there that hold the bumper on!

I DIDNT have to remove my bumper....I only had to loosen it up JUST enough so the stock hitch slid off.

Your going to need 2 people for the install usually, those hitches are 75lbs and up.

Yes, it just bolts on. I've done this swap and it was easy. Here's a picture of behind the passenger side tail lamp where the factory hitches plug in.

The top one is where the hitch will plug in to.

1122081417.jpg

With the bumper removed its very easy to swap. Shown again is the wiring harness to the right.

1122081416.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A couple of more questions if no one minds please:p.

Is there a special way to take off the bumper so I dont trigger the crash sensors or anything?

Also, anyone have any pictures of the trailer brake hookup behind the glovebox? Ive looked, but no go.

Back