How to: - Convert V8 AWD to BW 4406 Manual Shift- A how to thread | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Convert V8 AWD to BW 4406 Manual Shift- A how to thread

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
What is that BW1356 used for? Is that an electric unit anything like the 1354?

I believe the 1356 is just a longer-living model. It did come in both manual and electric shift.

maybe it was still in use due to a phase-out period or something?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BW1356 was behind 302 and 351 in the F-150 and FSB, bith e shift and manual versions

There was a 98 explorer 5.0L on here not tool long ago, he had a 1356 manual in there instead of the 4406 like we use

same input and bolt pattern (AOD and AOD-E), I had one when I picked up my 4406, I thought I could use the tailhousing parts for my VSS I was wrong LOL

is there any issues with clearance of the rear drive shaft? i am getingready to do this swap on my truck and i am concerned about the rear drive shaft hiting my exhaust, i have a flowmaster 50 series cat back and that muffler is so big it made me have to ask if there was any issues with it.

There shouldn't be unless the muffler was located too far to the left. There is room for two mufflers, which I will do after my engine. The rear shaft will be closer to the gas tank than anything else.

thank you iwasnt sure im about to install it at the weekend

Awesome thread. Might do this one day.

How much did you guys spend on this tcase?.. Every place locally, and even out of state jy's want between 700-1000....

i am in the process of tryin to locate the shifter and all the linkage, but the company i happened to find the linkage from said that there is a two bolt and a one bolt linkage set up? do you know what set up you need
thank you

Here ya go!! Here it is bolted to my tranny. I did some dressing up after this pic but it shows the bolts. You can look under your tranny and you will see the two places it bolts to. May have to clean them out I had to clean one out was full of dirt. Yellow arrows show what ones they are.

DSCN8282.JPG

thank u. So would the one whol linkage work or is that out of question cuss i found a one bolt?

Sorry man I don't know the answer to that question, I have not seen that version or style. Sorry keep us posted on what you find!

Drive shaft help

HELP!
I recently purchased a 4406 and both drive shafts. The issue is the rear driveshaft they gave me has a slip yoke and it came from a 1999 Navigator 4x4. From the pictures at the beggining of this post shows that both drive shafts are bolt on. Also the driveshaft I recieved is a larger diameter than those pictured.
Is there a way to verify the vehicle is a Navigator by the VIN number?

Thank you for all of your help.

the rear shaft is a slip yoke.

wouldn't you see that if you had the t-case and the shafts... and just... you know... looked? :scratch:

Actually no I did not look at the tranfer case. I was looking at the pictures of the drive shafts in the beginning of this post and how my drive shafts are currently on the vehicle.
So now that I have looked at photos of the transfer case I see that it has the slip yoke on the rear.
So thank you for the quick reply.:biggthump

i went to the junkyard today with no tools to scout jeeps (for SAS) and a possible 4406 and i found a MINT!, 97 f150 with 113k on it killed under the cash for clunkers and it has the transfer case!(4406), shift linkage!, shifter!, knob!, AND boot!, and the case is only $125:eek::eek::eek::eek: i will be back early morning for alll of it but was wondering what i will need to get that thing out of there?? -as far as any special tools go

okayyy well i will update myself. lol i did some research and it looks like you have to drop a cross member and take out the torsion bars to get it out the bottom.....this truck has NO seats left in it so what i will try is cutting the body of the inside floor and pull the case up through the inside! any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if it's x-member and torsion bar mounts are similar to the Explorer, then the only thing that should need removed is the x-member, and the torsion bar mounts won't need touched.

without seeing it though, I can only guess.

Back