Turdle and Gmanpaint's Rock Slider Build Thread | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Turdle and Gmanpaint's Rock Slider Build Thread

Verry much liking it!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very nice and clean guys, and they fit well.:notworthy

I have to say those look really good. Good work!

Thanks!!

Next will be my set. They will be smoked chrome I think.

It may take while, but I really need them finished this week. The brackets are made, but not drilled, and, there are other issues to deal with, that Gregg's body lift made easier.

I forgot to get a picture of the emergency brake cable routing. It passes through the angle braces

Thanks!!

Next will be my set. They will be smoked chrome I think.

It may take while, but I really need them finished this week. The brackets are made, but not drilled, and, there are other issues to deal with, that Gregg's body lift made easier.

I forgot to get a picture of the emergency brake cable routing. It passes through the angle braces

Since I just rolled in the door, it is a little late for pictures. I will get a shot of the E-brake cable posted here tomorrow.

I couldn't be more pleased how these turned out. They will definitely make my wheeling experience more adventurous!

Jon, & Joe, my most sincere thanks for making this a reality. You guys rock!

A lot of hard work went into these. These are not your run of the mill cheapo/slap on sliders. These are the real Mcoy!

Yeah, what I am really worried about is coming down on something and not being able to get out of the truck. Hopefully the pair will weigh less than 125 lbs

BTW
These weigh 85 lbs each

so, 170lbs for the pair. The 125 lb target might be reached using 1/8" steel, although I question if it would be strong enough/

BTW
These weigh 85 lbs each

so, 170lbs for the pair. The 125 lb target might be reached using 1/8" steel, although I question if it would be strong enough/

I can tell the difference the way the rig handles, like I have a passenger in the rig with these on. I for one am glad they don't weigh 250 lbs! Might need to regear to 4.88!

Looks good! You guys have way more patience than I do using the TIG. I only use mine for the smallest of projects or precision work.

For weight savings you could have used 2x2 legs to the frame and it would have still been plenty strong. I used 2x2x1/8 legs to tie mine to the frame

Verry much liking it!!!

Looks good! You guys have way more patience than I do using the TIG. I only use mine for the smallest of projects or precision work.

For weight savings you could have used 2x2 legs to the frame and it would have still been plenty strong. I used 2x2x1/8 legs to tie mine to the frame

5 years ago I wouldn't have thought about doing something crazy like this. Thanks for the compliment, from you guys especially since in some strange way I can say you have had a lot to do with motivating me this direction. I am serious about that.

However, I did nothing but drill some holes-clean and powder coat. Joe, is a pretty good welder. I think he could be a good teacher also.

Well, I learned something today. If you don't want to drill through your frame, which I will not do, then, body lift sure does help this procedure. I had to do some major trimming and pounding just to make room for the bolts to go over the frame. Just finished up about an hour ago, the colder temps outside kept my little welder from tacking the brackets well, so he's coming tomorrow with a stick welder to tack them in my drive way, then take them home to properly weld together. We thought we had the pasenger side ready to go, and it all broke apart dangit.
He's coming back tomorrow when he gets home from his job welding :rolleyes: to pick it up again, but they will be welded up tomorrow. I do believe the hurdle is behind us.
I will have to pull an all nighter to get them coated, but I will-if that is what it takes. MMM squirt has an energy drink now.

Sliders were tested out last weekend at SMORR. They worked just great. Saved me twice on the descent on high mtn. pass. I took a more aggressive line knowing I had the sliders on. You know what? They really are functional, and look great at the same time! On one steep angled turn, some of the guys stood on them as a counter weight, while I made my way to flatter land.
Thanks Jon, thanks Joe!

Maybe the nylon skids for the torsion brackets is in order. :)

I am getting a hunk of nylon locally. Going to use it on my shock mounts, transfer case skid and front cross member. If I have enough for the sliders I will use it on them.

Update: I got the steel skid plates for the shock mounts, no nylon for those!

Jon have you decided on the front suspension yet, whether to work with it or change something? You could do the front coil overs and take the torsion bars out. I don't know how those are doing off roading yet, it's still new.

Hey, ??? I was being sincere. Not trying to be offensive at all!

after all that work you want nylon.. :X Actually nylon on the t brackets won't help.. They just stick down too far.. If they ran along the frame rail instead of under it, it would have been a better design but we're not ford.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back