shift drive selector indicator | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

shift drive selector indicator

hmmm so that little white bracket thingy that holds the thumbwheel in place is broken. Its the top half of it that is closest to the copper wire in the pics is broken off of the bottom half which lets the thumbwheel go way out. Any ideas on how to patch that?

I found the perfect solution.

I went to Ace Hardware, and found that the 10-24 nut (#10, around $0.25) fits the threads perfectly!

So I have the nut holding the bottom piece in place, while the plastic wheel holds the other side in place.

The fix took about 2 minutes after getting the nut, and it works PERFECTLY. Plus I can adjust it in the future if I need to.

So check your Home Depot / Lowe's / Ace Hardware etc for the 10-24 nut!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Transmission column shift selector bracket

I have a broken bracket like the one pictured in the other users post. I am going to replace it but don't know where to go. Ford said they only sold the entire cable with the bracket for over $100 dollars. Does anyone know the exact name of the part or where to get one besides Ford? Also the Grey cover that is up to the left of it is broken as well, same questions apply for that piece. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a broken bracket like the one pictured in the other users post. I am going to replace it but don't know where to go. Ford said they only sold the entire cable with the bracket for over $100 dollars. Does anyone know the exact name of the part or where to get one besides Ford? Also the Grey cover that is up to the left of it is broken as well, same questions apply for that piece. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You don't need the bracket. Just get a couple of 10-24 nut from a hardware store and then place one on each side of the bracket and it will keep it steady in the position you need.

AHHHH This is one of those little things that bugged the hell out of me with the 95 I just bought, its fairly okay, but when you put it in 2 OR 1, it barely moves past D, ill have to try this later on tonight :D

Well lucky me I already had those panels off, and it was a 1 minute fix, I never knew what that little thing did, the orange indicator thing lines up for P, R, N, and D, but still not 2 or 1 :(

mine was broken, looked at the thread took the 4 screws outta the plastic, then the 6 screws holding the metal peice off and fixed her. THanks for the thread!!

When this thing happend did you guys hear like i wierd noise comen from your explorer because i believe mine is stuck in "N". its a 2002 and even when i give it gas my car doesnt accelerate. Any help would be good because i'm not tryin to pay a fortune when i can fix it myself

NavExplrer,

No weird noises. Sounds like you have a problem far advanced than what's being talked about here.

It does turn really easy. It appears to have alotta play in it. Before I go and break something.....WHICH I USUALLY DO....

should it be turned to the right or to the left to correct the issue?

DOH!

nevermind , mine is broken, explains why it turns soo easy

wow, that shift adjustment piece is the same crappy part that broke in the Crown Vic.

OK, I tried this and it didn't work. My indicator doesn't line up. Found the wheel and spun it. Nothing. Any ideas?

That zip tie did the trick!
Thanks, saved me a lot of time.
I LOVE THIS FORUM!

Great Site!!!

Yesterday I took my daughter to teach her how to drive, and in showing her how to "make sure" the car is in park before we got out to change drivers, I broke my shifter to where it was showing on "Drive" when the car was actually in Neutral, and so on with the rest of the gears. I found this site by doing a Google search and voila, I fixed it myself in less than an hour! My plastic "gear holder" was broke too, so I used a plastic tie just like the pics above and fixed it. THANK YOU!!!! WHAT A GREAT SITE!!!! I'm now a member, so I'll be around here often I'm sure.

Quick note. If you want to replace the plastic part that holds the adjustment wheel it takes a 5.5mm socket. Another reason to love Ford engineers!

I have an 01 Explorer Sport and I'm experiencing the same problem described in this thread. I'm wondering could the same steps or solution be applied to my vehicle as well? :salute:

I have an 01 Explorer Sport and I'm experiencing the same problem described in this thread. I'm wondering could the same steps or solution be applied to my vehicle as well? :salute:

Not sure. It's still 2nd gen and it looks the same from up top. You'll just have to take the panel off to see.

I just bought an 03 FX4 Ranger. My shift indicator is in the 1 position & doesn't move at all. I'm pretty mechanically inclined but always pressed for time. I'm looking for some advise on what to expect & where to find the problem to avoid having to trace the source as much as possible. What is the most likely souce of this problem, where can I find it, where should I get the parts reasonably, & any other comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Fixed mine too!!!! Gotta love this forum. Search, learn and then go do it!
I should have read this thread all the way through. I used the zip ties, but the 10-24 nut is a great idea.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Outstanding thread. My needle selector is a bit off so it will be interesting to see what the fix will be for me.

My one thought is if you need to replace your instrument bulbs (like I do) or repair a cruise control switch, since you've already started some disassembly of the dash, might be a great time to do it all while you're there.

For instrument panel removal http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46290&highlight=indiglo+install

Get to cruise control lights or switches http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210356

Thanks for the pics and innovative ideas.

Back