Cruise Control Problem on '03 Sport Trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cruise Control Problem on '03 Sport Trac

dpj1j

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Sport Trac
I'm have a problem with my cruise control engaging. I push the "on" button and then the "set" button and all I get is a blink on the instrument cluster light to show the cruise is on. It never engages. Speed ranges were from 45-65 mph on a flat road. Any help?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tell us how many times it flashes.

2 times - brake pedal position switch circuit failure
3 times - deactivator switch circuit failure

There is no vaccum lines for this vehicle - so you may have an electrical issue.

-Drew

Literally just picked up my truck from the dealership a few minutes ago, it was in for that exact problem. The cruise control light would flicker when you tried to engage it.

"Cause: Replace brake pressure switch 110wft "
Part number: "1 3L3Z*9f924*AB"

Hope this helps!
--Bob

if the light blinks twice - do what he did ^^

-Drew

Hi Drew,
Are you referring to the small green cruise control light? Because mine just wouldn't stay on, it didn't blink or anything. Just trying to understand your info completely.

Bored_2wd said:
The cruise control light would flicker when you tried to engage it.

Bored_2wd said:
Because mine just wouldn't stay on, it didn't blink or anything.

Sounds like your saying two things at once :confused: lol

However, by what you first wrote, that gave me the impression that it would light, maybe in a code sequence a few times. That is why I said if it blinks 2 times...do what he did!

-Drew

Yeah, I wasn't all that clear, was I? What I meant was, when you press the button it comes on and goes right off - split second, a quick single flick if you will. It didn't blink or anything similar to a code, just wouldn't stay on for more than a tenth of a second. If you worked at it enough you could get it to trigger on most times. Other times it would go on no problem.

This morning I used it several times, and it worked perfectly - no problems whatsoever.
--Bob

Sounds like it may be an issue with the wire harness in the steering column.
Has been commom with 02/03 tracs.
do's changing the angle of the wheel have any effect.

Bored_2wd said:
Yeah, I wasn't all that clear, was I? What I meant was, when you press the button it comes on and goes right off - split second, a quick single flick if you will. It didn't blink or anything similar to a code, just wouldn't stay on for more than a tenth of a second. If you worked at it enough you could get it to trigger on most times. Other times it would go on no problem.

This morning I used it several times, and it worked perfectly - no problems whatsoever.
--Bob
It does not blink like a code. It will come on for a split second just like you stated. Is it a problem in the brake switch or the other reply that it could be in the wiring harness on the steering column?

My 04 was doing the samething. I was told from another site to check the fuse and it could be something in the steering wheel wiring. I was also to told to blow the on and that fixed my problem.

Andrew

2000 explorer

My 2000 XLT does the same thing. SOmetimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Althought lately, it seems that it doesn;t work a lot more than it does. When you say "blow the on" what do you mean?

any answers to this

mine is doing the same thing I can hit set over and over and over, and it will eventually engage like an hour down the highway. I have been trying to fix this for 4 months. I bought new switches and wires from the dealership (the ones on the steering wheel) $98.00. Then i replaced the brake pedal switch $28.00. After all this i have the same problem. CALLING ALL FORD MECHANICS THIS HAS TO BE AN EASY FIX.

How to install a brake switch for a 2002 ford explorer sport trac

How do I install a brake switch for a 2002 ford explorer sport trac? I have already bought the piece and put it in the problem now is my truck won't get out of PARK! Please help!

Me Too

--Bob

My 2004 Sport Trac had the light just flicker once and would not come on. A Ford Mechanic friend of mine told me how to check all of the voltages and the resistance at the speed servo plug. I did and one check showed the resistance was really low when I depressed the "Set" switch on the steering wheel. He told me I needed to replace that switch because the resistance was so low. I haven't done it yet, and don't look forward to trying to get to it. Also, the switch is going to cost about $75.00.
----Mcchipper

Another possible fix?

My 2003 Sport Trac had the light just flicker once and would not come on. Unplugged the wire from the pressure switch on the master cylinder, Light would not even flicker. Thought the switch might be the problem. Reconnected the switch and the light would only flicker. Pulled off the road and pressed the brake pedel hard and held it for a about 5 seconds. I did this twice. Cruise has worked perfect ever since !!!!

:)

How do I install a brake switch for a 2002 ford explorer sport trac? I have already bought the piece and put it in the problem now is my truck won't get out of PARK! Please help!

sorry i didn't reply faster hope you have figured this out, or this is for future people, when i bought mine at ford i put it in right after i bought it still parked in the parking lot just took 10 seconds. its simple if you just study it for a second, and helps if you look at the one you are taking off. it is not in right if you still can't get it out of park. i think i did that on mine to just didn't get it all the way on before i put the clip through the hole.

i am going to try to fix my cruise control with the ford mechanics heavy foot tool. i will let you know if it fixes mine too.

i have been told this doesn't include 2003 sport tracs

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Even though the recall was just updated it still says '01-'02 Tracs only.

October 14, 2009 Update
Ford added 4.5 million older model vehicles to the cruise control recall. The new list includes Windstar vans (which have experienced fires) and older Ford and Lincoln products with the same switches (which have not had reported fires, but use the same Texas Instrument switches).

Ford will send letters to owners of affected vehicles from model years 1992-2003.

September 9, 2008 Update
A recording at Ford says that parts are now available for the final repair (you won't be without cruise). As of today about 5 million vehicles still need to be repaired.

February 28, 2008 Update

Ford is asking owners to take affected trucks and cars to a Ford dealership, where the cruise control parts will be either repaired or deactivated until parts are available to fix the problem. Cars can be repaired now. Truck parts should be available in June, 2008.

More models have been added to the recall list and some owners haven't responded to recall notices, leaving about 5 million vehicles at risk of fire.

Updated List of Recalled Vehicles

Trucks

* 1997-2002 Expedition
* 1998-2002 Navigator
* 2002-2003 Blackwood
* 1993-1996 Bronco
* 2000-2003 Excursion (built prior to 11/4/02)
* 1992-2003 Econoline E-150/250/350
* 1996-2003 Econoline E450
* 2002-2003 Econoline E550
* 1998-2002 Ranger
* 1998-2001 Explorer/Mountaineer
* 2001-2002 Explorer Sport (2 door) & Sport Trac
* 2003-2004 F-150 Lightning
* 1993-2003 F-Series (Under 8500 lb. GVW)
* 1993-2003 F-Series (over 8500 lb. GVW) – all plants except Cuautitlan
* 1994-2003 F-Series (over 8500 lb. GVW) – Cuautitlan built only prior to 1/7/03
* 1995-2002 F-53 Motorhome

Cars

* 1992-1998 Town Car
* 1992-1998 Crown Victoria
* 1992-1998 Grand Marquis
* 1993-1998 Mark VIII
* 1993-1995 Taurus SHO (automatic transmission)
* 1994 Capri

*equipped with speed control. Diesel engine equipped vehicles are excluded from recall

Back