Leaning to the left? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Leaning to the left?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Swapped my leaf springs today.

It still leans left. Man, that was a long job. The design didn't match my CHilton manual. Chilton had springs on top of the axle, mine are below. Also looked at MountaneerGreens guide and about 1/2 of it didn't match. I started on the passenger side as well. I didn't know there was a bolt lock on the rear bolt and a nut lock on the front. I cranked with pipe extended handles and snapped the locks. Grrr. If I woulda had a decent guide to follow I would have done that right. I know how now, turn the other side. On the Front Side bolt, turn the bolt head, on the rear, turn the nut.

Also it would have been nice to know what tool sizes I would need. I don't have any mm bigger than 19 so I squeezed on a 13/16" 12 pt. It actually fit pretty well. Chilton instructions say leave the wheels on, and start with the front, then install in reverse order, start with the back. I had a heck of a time lining up the hole in the U bolt plate with the bolt on the spring. It was almost as if the springs are left and right specific. THEN there's another knob that lines up with a hole in the spring in the U bolt area. THAT was a pain the rear! I had to raise and lower the vehicle several times to get the springs to move enough to line up. Finally with luck they fell in place. that may be why MG says start install with the front?

I put jack stands in the rear on the frame and right in front of each leaf spring. raised it to where the wheel was still on the ground but the pressure was off the axle, undid the U Bolts first, removal was easy from there.

anyway, I don't look forward to doing that again, but as my bro put it, it was educational!

It still leans left. Man, that was a long job. The design didn't match my CHilton manual. Chilton had springs on top of the axle, mine are below. Also looked at MountaneerGreens guide and about 1/2 of it didn't match. I started on the passenger side as well. I didn't know there was a bolt lock on the rear bolt and a nut lock on the front. I cranked with pipe extended handles and snapped the locks. Grrr. If I woulda had a decent guide to follow I would have done that right. I know how now, turn the other side. On the Front Side bolt, turn the bolt head, on the rear, turn the nut.

Also it would have been nice to know what tool sizes I would need. I don't have any mm bigger than 19 so I squeezed on a 13/16" 12 pt. It actually fit pretty well. Chilton instructions say leave the wheels on, and start with the front, then install in reverse order, start with the back. I had a heck of a time lining up the hole in the U bolt plate with the bolt on the spring. It was almost as if the springs are left and right specific. THEN there's another knob that lines up with a hole in the spring in the U bolt area. THAT was a pain the rear! I had to raise and lower the vehicle several times to get the springs to move enough to line up. Finally with luck they fell in place. that may be why MG says start install with the front?

I put jack stands in the rear on the frame and right in front of each leaf spring. raised it to where the wheel was still on the ground but the pressure was off the axle, undid the U Bolts first, removal was easy from there.

anyway, I don't look forward to doing that again, but as my bro put it, it was educational!

It sounds to me like you didn't read my thread throughly enough. I listed bolt sizes where possible, noted that the bolts or nuts had retainers on them.

If I woulda had a decent guide to follow I would have done that right.

Since my write up, I have done another spring swap (actually F150 spring mod) I did it exactly as I described here, every thing went well.

If you don't read and comprehend, then rush through a job without looking and thinking about what you are doing, stuff will break, things will go wrong.

:rolleyes:

Ok, so I'm kind of a slacker and I want my explorer lower, not higher. Would it hurt if I put a 1" lowering block on the right side instead of swapping the springs? It is exactly 1" higher.

Also, I'm trying to find a good place to get new (non-lift) leaf springs.

i would not do the single block to even it out...

i would not do the single block to even it out...

Why you say? I don't want to do all the work of switching the leaves and have it not work. I would really like to get a new set of stock springs, but haven't been able to find any...

Seems like the lazy way out. Most just swap spings on sides and it is pretty close. Do what you want, could always just fire up a torch and heat one side too, safe? NO! easy yeah....

Like I said, I wouldnt do it.

I have swapped 2 sets and had them work just fine. Many others have too, why you think it is not gonna work for you?

There have been a couple people who said it didn't work. If I'm going to go to all the effort of tearing it apart, I would rather just throw new springs in. I'm just having a hard time finding a set of new leafs. I did find some for $160 ea. plus $50 shipping. Seams a little steep to me?

I was just wondering why the one lowering block was a bad idea or why that would not be safe?

*update* Found new springs locally for $126 ea. Doesn't sound too bad to me.

I dont believe the geometry would be all that great adding a single block....

Do as you please.

I have had it work for me, and I have only owned 6.

Best way, all new springs, logical way swap sides or buy other used springs.

I need to fix my gangsta lean, hopefully my buddies garage is open since it's less than 20 degrees outside. I had wondered about adding ONE block but figured might as well do it right the first time.

I need to fix my gangsta lean, hopefully my buddies garage is open since it's less than 20 degrees outside. I had wondered about adding ONE block but figured might as well do it right the first time.

I was able to adjust the tosion bolts in front to get rid of my leaning issue. Probably not the best way to do it, but it worked and it handles fine. I lowered the high side.

I thought about that, but its VERY noticeable in the back, and kinda noticeable in the front, so it seems like if I did that, then the right rear would sit higher.

I thought about that, but its VERY noticeable in the back, and kinda noticeable in the front, so it seems like if I did that, then the right rear would sit higher.

I have just replaced my four shock absorbers on dealer, and my Exp 05 LTD came back with this lean to the left side. I don´t think it about spring, because it was ok before taking it to de FU**** dealer.

Anyone have any idea about what could they have screwed ?

thks !

Back