Completed Project - My 98 super charged EX | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project My 98 super charged EX

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
1998 Explorer 4.0 SOHC
Bought it with a melted alternator/wiring harness from a junkyard for $1,000
Fixed it, drove it for two weeks, then I boosted it.
Started with an M90 supercharger kit from www.Bansheesuperchargerkit.com
Upgraded to an M112 Lightning supercharger that was a prototype kit.
Next was the M122 off a 2012 GT500
I have reached 20 lbs of boost (with ARP head studs) and a 12.83 in a quarter mile.

Pictures
1. How it looked when I brought it home.
2.The M90 supercharger installed
3.The GT500 supercharger installed
4.How it looks now
5.Wheelie
green ex.jpg
DSC02710.JPG
5.JPG
Lowered Rear.jpg
Exploder wheelie.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To Arco777

Thanks man,
I know the lights look different, I wanted unique. They do look much better in person and the projector headlights supply more light out in front where I need it. I do miss the total sleeper thing I had going, before the lights and exhaust it looked completely stock and was quite. I gained 10 horse power at the wheels just by changing the Muffler and tail pipe though. And that was before I put the smaller sc pulley on. Got to get it back on the dyno again.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Sweet truck 4pointslow! I admire your drive to acquire and install a supercharger without having to use a prefabbed kit. Very nice looking and sweet sounding. You'll have to post some track times if you have one near you. I see that you live in NJ! I'm from Jersey too. If you're anywhere close to Atco you have to hit up Atco raceway. Definitely a sweet track. I believe either Thursdays or Fridays is when anyone can race on the track all night for just 20 bucks. Its a very nice track; used to take my stang there when I still had it. A lot of people race there. Just wondering, don't know if you have already stated, what boost is the S/C running at? Were all of the gauges hard to install? I like how you have them set up on the pillar like that.

Kyle

Thanks man,
I know the lights look different, I wanted unique. They do look much better in person and the projector headlights supply more light out in front where I need it. I do miss the total sleeper thing I had going, before the lights and exhaust it looked completely stock and was quite. I gained 10 horse power at the wheels just by changing the Muffler and tail pipe though. And that was before I put the smaller sc pulley on. Got to get it back on the dyno again.

Nice job gettin that Eaton on there, I was looking to do that same thing at some point. Did you have to make your own lower intake man. to get the s/c to bolt up? Sorry just curious! ;)

4point u got aim or yahoo

i miss my 89 supercharged thunderbird it would be nice to get one in a mint mint condtion like how mine was before it got hit.

Sweet truck 4pointslow! I admire your drive to acquire and install a supercharger without having to use a prefabbed kit. Very nice looking and sweet sounding. You'll have to post some track times if you have one near you. I see that you live in NJ! I'm from Jersey too. If you're anywhere close to Atco you have to hit up Atco raceway. Definitely a sweet track. I believe either Thursdays or Fridays is when anyone can race on the track all night for just 20 bucks. Its a very nice track; used to take my stang there when I still had it. A lot of people race there. Just wondering, don't know if you have already stated, what boost is the S/C running at? Were all of the gauges hard to install? I like how you have them set up on the pillar like that.

Kyle

Kyle,
I like your screen name (Exploratory) thats cool.
I used to race at Atco in the 90's, 81 trans am with a built chevy 350. Loved every minute of it. I was wondering when street night was, right now I run a couple of times a year at MapleGrove cause my work pays for the race tickets for me and the students on special events.
I am only running 6 lbs of boost but that is max since there is no intercooler right now. The lower intake was made by a cool man named Ron Caster(rpcaster kit). They are sold on eBay and www.bansheesuperchargerkit.com
Awesome Kit.
Installing gauges is time consuming, "hard" is a matter of opinion, having them to monitor everything that is going on is priceless.:D

Nice job gettin that Eaton on there, I was looking to do that same thing at some point. Did you have to make your own lower intake man. to get the s/c to bolt up? Sorry just curious! ;)

Cant take credit for the lower intake, I got it from RPCaster on ebay. He is the man!

4point u got aim or yahoo

i miss my 89 supercharged thunderbird it would be nice to get one in a mint mint condtion like how mine was before it got hit.

Sam,
I dont use aim or yahoo, I guess they are instant messengers. I dont trust the security of I/M's, I have nine computers running at my house and dont want any viruses or stuff.

You could always supercharge your explorer, might be a little heavier than a tbird though.:D

I had thought about doing this prior and had started a thread about it... what exactly did you have to change about the lower intake to get the charger to bolt, because i 'm really looking to give my ex a kick in the ass.

Thanks,
Justin

I had thought about doing this prior and had started a thread about it... what exactly did you have to change about the lower intake to get the charger to bolt, because i 'm really looking to give my ex a kick in the ass.

Thanks,
Justin

I used the rpcaster kit, it replaces the lower intake and other things.
I had to drill holes through the cylinder head area where the intake bolts up for the wires to pass through since the older explorers wiring harness goes under the original intake. There may be other ways to get around that like cutting and soldering injector wires near the pcm. Its is easier on the 02 rangers which is what the kit was designed for because the harness wraps around the intake instead of under it. Also I had to remove the pcm (computer) and cut the area behind it to move it back further cause the pcm was hitting the intake plenun behind the throttle body. An ajustable fuel pressure regulator is a must to boost fuel pressure, and some spring lock fittings to hook it all together. Maf has to be changed cause stock one will peg, so I went with a maf off a supercharged cougar and some 36 lb injectors since the stock 19lb ones wont supply enough fuel. I had to buy a 2003 ranger throttle body from junkyard to work with the kit, made a new egr tube and used an egr off a 2002 Explorer and mounted it upside down to clear hood. Then the stock exhaust had duals up to the stupid one muffler and stupid skinny tail pipe so I had a flowmaster put on with a three inch tailpipe. That releived so much back pressure my boost dropped to 4lbs from 5.5 so I got a 2.9 pulley for the sc from pulley boys.(thanks to BASA for the link to pulleyboys). The list goes on and on. Did I tell you I have two other vehicles so this was not my only means of transportation? It spent a lot of time in the garage, but thats where I like to be anyway.
Let me know if you decide to go for it, I may be able to help you with a lot of information and part numbers.
cheers:D

there is a supercharger that i wanna get but its 8,000 bux so i am going to look around some more to see if i can find a cheaper one.

this is what I did

I got my intake from this place,
http://stores.ebay.com/Banshee-Supercharger-Inc

and gathered up the other parts from various places, most on ebay as well

Intake is listed for 2002 ranger but can be installed on other 4.0 SOHC as long as you are willing to do some extra work if needed.

hey 4point

i saw a thunderbird supercharged for sale like 10 min away from where i live i noticed it today when i was coming back from the gym. It was red color like mine and it had tinted windows and it had dual exhaust it looks like the one i had but they are asking 3,900 for it and i called the owner and left them a message.

I keep u posted what happens but here is link of it its on sale on craigslist too. I already called them up.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/1255290219.html

tell me what u think it looks excatly like the one i had but mine was a stick and this one is an automatic.

hey 4point

i saw a thunderbird supercharged for sale like 10 min away from where i live i noticed it today when i was coming back from the gym. It was red color like mine and it had tinted windows and it had dual exhaust it looks like the one i had but they are asking 3,900 for it and i called the owner and left them a message.

I keep u posted what happens but here is link of it its on sale on craigslist too. I already called them up.

tell me what u think it looks excatly like the one i had but mine was a stick and this one is an automatic.

Friend of mine works at a Ford dealership. Has a 1990 5 speed SC Coupe with 80,000 mi for $1500. Loaded with leather.I may be getting a new car...

u got pics of it sean and what u think of the 90 that i might be getting

Sweet Ride

hey 4point

That car looks like new, Hope you get it. I love the Red with black interior.
Good luck.

thnx the guy called me up he told me to come on tuesday to check it out

new updates

I have been busy, got some aluminum rims, custom cold air intake,new lighter bumper, relocated ambient temp sonsor to air filter box,75mm throttlebody,2.8 inch supercharger pulley, and datalogged a 14.7 in a quarter mile with my automatic 4wd not working. Had a bad transfer case sensor, just fixed it in time for next weeks race at maple grove.Cant wait to weigh in and see how it does on the sticky track. used to weigh 4365(me not in it) and ran 15.3 in quarter mile.

New wheels.JPG
New 75mm throttlebody.JPG
pics

New pics.
Wheels are each 13 lbs lighter than old steel ones.
75mm Throttle body is from mustang 4.6, ebay cheapie.
Idle Air Control assembly is off a 1996 lincoln town car 4.6 from junkyard.
Bumper is 14 lbs lighter than old one and it is off a 1999 or 2000 explorer.

pics

new pics
Cold air intake
Rain proof
Stock ambient temp sensor location
New ambient temp sensor location

Attachments

• New Ambient temp location.JPG
    New Ambient temp location.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 1,155
  • Ambient temp  stock location.JPG
    Ambient temp stock location.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 1,129
  • Rain proof.JPG
    Rain proof.JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 1,115
  • Cold air.JPG
    Cold air.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 1,410

more

more pics

Attachments

• Capped off.JPG
    Capped off.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 1,193
  • Ambient temp sensor installed.JPG
    Ambient temp sensor installed.JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 1,155
  • Ambient temp display day.JPG
    Ambient temp display day.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 1,155