Torsion twist for dummies! (pics included) | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torsion twist for dummies! (pics included)

I know this is a few months old but I wanted to give some sort of answer to the last post. I don't believe there is any way to know if it's already been done or not. I've not done the TT on an explorer but I have on other cars. If it's lowered, there won't be much bolt sticking out, if it's raised, there will be excessive bolt sticking out. The only way to compare is if someone posts a stock picture for you to compare to. I hope this helps some. I just got my explorer though and haven't climbed under it yet so I dont' know exactly what I'm talking about haha.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With the explorer, it's the opposite of what you just mentioned. Also, 1st gens don't have torsion bars.

With the explorer, it's the opposite of what you just mentioned. Also, 1st gens don't have torsion bars.

See, this concludes that I DON'T yet know what I'm talking about. :D
It also reminds me, I need to update my profile. Got rid of my '93 a year ago to another member on here and just this week bought a '95. After seeing what he's done to the '93 I can't wait to grab my wrenches, drain the wallet, and attack my '95.

I don't believe there is any way to know if it's already been done or not.

The obvious way is to look at the distance between the upper control arm and the bump stop, while the vehicle is sitting level on the ground. If the distance is zero to, say 1/2", then you can not gain any more height from adjusting the torsion bars. If the gap is greater than that, you have some room to play.

in the case of the 95, then yes.. you now have these damn torsion bars... a curse? a blessing? you decide..lol.. congrats on the 'new' to you truck

does anyone happen to know the link to the 2wd torsion lift...

i have a 05 explo xlt 2wd... please it would help...

???

does anyone know the link for the 2wd torsion lift.. i have a 05 explo i just bought tires and now i wanna try out the torsion..

does anyone know the link for the one about a 2wd torsion lift.. and if it will work on a 05 explo xlt..

does anyone know the link for the 2wd 05 explo torsion lift...??

You don't have torsion bars...you have springs.

does anyone know about the 2wd torsion.. and i was wondering if it will work on my 2005 xlt 2wd..

i would greatly appreciate it.. thanks...

does anyone know about the 2wd torsion.. and i was wondering if it will work on my 2005 xlt 2wd..

i would greatly appreciate it.. thanks...

did you not read the reply to your first post in this thread? which is only 2 posts up?

You don't have torsion bars...you have springs.

Torsion twist or torsion keys?

I wanted to level my 2004 ranger and found a torsion key leveling kit. Would my truck be better off using torsion keys rather than cranking up the torsion bars. I wouldn't mind spending the money if it will benefit the truck.

I wanted to level my 2004 ranger and found a torsion key leveling kit. Would my truck be better off using torsion keys rather than cranking up the torsion bars. I wouldn't mind spending the money if it will benefit the truck.

a torsion-twist gives you the same exact end-result as those "leveling kits" without spending ~$200 on new keys.

Hello everyone! Good to see this thread has kept somewhat active over the 2 years!

A little update, my 2" are still going strong!! haha

I'm just curious as if this is a safe process to do to the vehicles. I'm just looking for a 1.5"-2" lift on the front and rear. I plan on buying the warrior shackles for the rear but what are the other options for the front end?

I'm just curious as if this is a safe process to do to the vehicles. I'm just looking for a 1.5"-2" lift on the front and rear. I plan on buying the warrior shackles for the rear but what are the other options for the front end?

if it wasn't safe, it wouldn't have been done by hundreds of members here (probably more), nor would it be suggested as it is.

there are no other options for up to 2" lift.

I suppose when you put it that way it makes perfect sense. I was planning on doing the suspension over in the next month anyway (shocks, leafs) anyway. I noticed there's a four leaf available anyone reccommend something different? What about shocks?

only the Sports had a different leaf pack; some of them had mono-leafs. Those could be replaced by a 4-door leaf pack for some slight gain, plus the ability to install an add-a-leaf.

I'm running Rancho RS5000's on mine, I'm pleased with them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so i want to do shackles and the torsion thing, but my dad said that when you do it to the front end it makes the steering wheel turned one way, so to drive its a pain in the butt because the steering wheel is sideways to drive straight. (he said its because it changes the length from the steering linkage to the wheels or something)

so basically what i want to know is if this is true for like only 1.5" of lift and if it is true how can i fix it to have the wheel straigt. thanks for anyone who can tell me from there experience of lifting their front end

Back