How to: - 2nd Gen NO AC ( or heat) FROM VENTS!!! A "How to" what to look for thread | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 2nd Gen NO AC ( or heat) FROM VENTS!!! A "How to" what to look for thread

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
I have this exact problem I havent looked yet at any lines my question is I just had my muffler on back replaced a day before I noticed this problem of A/C & heat from defrost only. Can the 2 be related? or was it just a coincidence?
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ps great write up will make looking for problem much easier
Thanks !!

Need help with vacuum line routing

Vehicle: '97 Ex Sport, 4.0 SOHC, 4WD.

I removed the fender liner to get to the vacuum reservoir. The one line from the reservoir is connected to the connector on the firewall near the blower motor.

The other line was just hanging in space, not connected to anything. What is this line supposed to be connected to?

I searched and searched but I could not find any place on the intake manifold or otherwise where this could be connected.

Can anyone help? Does anyone have a picture?

Thanks.:)

Find the heater control valve, it should go there. That is located under the alternator of the SOHC, follow the heater hoses.

Hey guys, first of all let me thank you for the site; it has saved me a lot of time and money w/ my explorer. Now, I have a 1998 explorer 4.0L SOHC with the climate control feature thing. My a/c will blow from the vents and all the other settings, but it isn't very strong. It gets nice and cold but it just doesnt blow very hard. I just cleaned the evaporator coil and that helped a bit, but i was wondering if maybe one of the vacuum controlled actuators isn't opening all the way possibly from a vacuum leak like yall discussed in this thread? Would that be a possible cause or are there any better ideas?
Thanks!!

Find the heater control valve, it should go there. That is located under the alternator of the SOHC, follow the heater hoses.

I finally got a chance to go take a look. There is a red vacuum line plugged into the vacuum port on the heater control valve.

1) Am I possibly looking at the wrong part?

2) Where should that red line go?

Thanks again.

The lines for the vacuum canister and heater control valve are typically gray or black. The colored lines(red/green) usually are for the fuel pressure regulator or EGR valve. This is just a general guideline of what I recall on my cars. Ford keeps changing things, so what is correct for one year will be wrong for other years.

I was looking at the wrong thing. I have come to the conclusion that I can't find the heater control valve because it isn't there. My guess is that at some point, the valve failed, and instead of replacing it, the owner just removed it, and just ran new heater hoses directly from the heater core to the hard lines directly.

I looked at rockauto.com, and there appears to be two different designs for the HCV-a 2-port and a 4-port. Which do I want? (I'm guessing the 4-port, as that is what I've seen most often in the past).

If the 4-port is what I need, should I just tie it in between the heater core inlet/outlet and the hardlines?

Sorry for all the newb questions, but I'm still pretty new to Explorers.

I'd suggest the new hoses and HCV yes. Try to get them at a local store, but if you can't get a certain answer about the exact parts needed, go to Ford. I'd avoid a mail order source for anything which you don't have the right parts for now. You need to know what is needed, and if it's missing on your truck, then you can't be sure until after you get the parts.

I'm not sure how the 97 may differ from 99, but mine I bought as all new parts from Ford. The path of the water is simple, the heater control valve has one inlet and one outlet, and a mounting bracket that holds it to the engine under the alternator.

Attachments

• HeaterControlValve.JPG
    HeaterControlValve.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 2,270

Subscribed.
Posted via Mobile Device

a/c

hey what size are these vacuum lines.? I have vacuum all the way to the T next to the defrost actuator. So Im thinking just changing out those lines and T.

:rangerred:

That reminds me that I've got to try and troubleshoot my vacuum leak this weekend. It's been hot and I want my normal AC back again. I found no visible issues first time I had a look. I lost my vents right after we installed my headers. This could be a "fun" one to figure out. :(

Thanks you guys

Been living with defrost only for a month. Thought the Idle was just a little rough. Found the line from the ball diconnected. Redid it and all is well . Thanks again. Jim

Been living with defrost only for a month. Thought the Idle was just a little rough. Found the line from the ball diconnected. Redid it and all is well . Thanks again. Jim

I wish mine was that simple. The lines to/from the vacuum ball seem fine. I've disconnected/reconnected a few times and still nothing but defrost. :(

help

Does any one know where to get the replacement black/white vacuum tubing, that run from the firewall to a/c switch.???
:rangerred:

Turdle I can't thank you enough, thanks to your information I have the ac working again in all vents!, after 2 years of melting in Pasadena CA. The Ford dealer in Duarte CA(Advantage Ford) told me that they may have to remove the whole dash in order to fix it and it may cost up to 900 dollars, not to mention that ac stop working day after I took the car for something else 2 years ago. Thanks to your information I saw the small black hose cut right before black globe, i removed broken piece from connector, connect the small hose back to that globe and cold air started blowing out from all vents not only defrost vent.
Thank you again!!!

Turdle I can't thank you enough, thanks to your information I have the ac working again in all vents!, after 2 years of melting in Pasadena CA. The Ford dealer in Duarte CA(Advantage Ford) told me that they may have to remove the whole dash in order to fix it and it may cost up to 900 dollars, not to mention that ac stop working day after I took the car for something else 2 years ago. Thanks to your information I saw the small black hose cut right before black globe, i removed broken piece from connector, connect the small hose back to that globe and cold air started blowing out from all vents not only defrost vent.
Thank you again!!!

Awesome. At this time I would like to ask you to consider an elite membership to help keep the information coming.

900.00 phoey.

Awesome. At this time I would like to ask you to consider an elite membership to help keep the information coming.

900.00 phoey.

Exactly.

I got a new orb from the stealership today. Hopefully that was the weak link with my situation. I've checked out about the 80% of the vacuum lines I can readily reach and so far nothing is apparent. I wish my issue was as visible as everyone else's. I've done so much reading on this subject and it's got to be damage/blockage/disconnection on one (or both) of those two lines.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

VICTORY!

It seems that the weak link in my setup was the "orb" aka the vacuum reservoir. Mine must've crapped out somehow when it was dangling for a few days in Kansas.

If anyone runs into this again, the Ford part# I got was F67Z-19A566-BA. They did mention at the parts counter that there is a 3 port version of the reservoir, but I needed the 2 port version on my '99 Eddie Bauer (V8 w/ AWD). Part was $46 Canadian, taxes in. I did click the eBay link for the non-Ford version of the orb and it would have cost me $21 US if I went that route. I'm on the road in less than 2 weeks and wanted it sooner. Also, the non Ford one didn't seem to have the threads to secure it to the wheel liner which I wanted. Thanks again to Jon for offering to send me one from his spare parts bin.

Once again, EF saves me big bucks by getting the info I needed. I've been an Elite for many years now and am paid up until 2017 and the site has saved me lots of dough! Join today, non-Elites. ;)

Kudos to Jonny for starting this thread. I relish using my AC properly again.It's been toasty lately.
Posted via Mobile Device

Back