98 Explorer suddenly won't start - doesn't fire | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 Explorer suddenly won't start - doesn't fire

willy2

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport, '02 Sport 4WD
98 Explorer Sport Manual 4.0 OHV 2wd suddenly won't start..

The engine turns over fine, but the Anti-Theft light blinks rapidly after I turn the key to "ON" and while cranking. I have three known working keys, and tried them all, and same thing... I never hear it fire..

I don't have keyless entry (there was another thread where that was part of the issue)...

I can probably get to the junkyard tonight if there is a known part to pull... or better yet ride a bicycle to the local Auto Parts store.. Hoping to avoid a tow to the dealer!!!

Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Odd indeed. Have you tried diconnecting the battery and keying it again? How are your batt terminals? Clean? If you jump the relay will it start? I don't think the anti theft has anything to do with since it allows it to crank. Only way that would make sense is that the PCM is disabling the gas pumper. You need to figure out which one yer not gettin.

Make sure your inertia switch wasn't tripped. It's near the passenger side kick panel. Designed to disable to fuel pump in a collision.

Just dis/reconnected the battery, terminals are clean, same issue... Checking fuel now...

Odd indeed. Have you tried diconnecting the battery and keying it again? How are your batt terminals? Clean? If you jump the relay will it start? I don't think the anti theft has anything to do with since it allows it to crank. Only way that would make sense is that the PCM is disabling the gas pumper. You need to figure out which one yer not gettin.

That sounds like a good thing to check, but the I believe my manual says there would be a "Fuel Reset" message on the dash if this were the case? I found the switch, but it looks to me that to reset it you would depress a popped-out button from the top? I put my finger in from the top, but nothing moved when I pressed down...

Make sure your inertia switch wasn't tripped. It's near the passenger side kick panel. Designed to disable to fuel pump in a collision.

By relay do you mean the fuel pump relay?

That's what it's called but solenoid may be more familiar for you.You know,where you;d bridge the studs w/ a screwdriver.

Ok, just wanted to confirm you were talking about the fuel pump :)

I just made a little jumper and inserted that in place of the fuel pump relay.. I could hear kind of a fluid sound when I did that (like opening a water hose a small bit), and immediately tried to start it, but didn't fire...

Wait WTF I'm an idiot. If it turns over fine it has to be fuel. The normal,"running" position of that inertia switch is button up,not depressed. Maybe Celly knows how to reset it,I just disconnect the connector when I disable mine.

Unplug the inertia switch,think of a nice rack for a sec or two,plug it back in and see if the button on top moves,indicating a reset.

Wait WTF I'm an idiot. If it turns over fine it has to be fuel. The normal,"running" position of that inertia switch is button up,not depressed. Maybe Celly knows how to reset it,I just disconnect the connector when I disable mine.

I've never touched mine on my current ride. I just looked at it the other day when I was pondering a fuel filter change. I'm pretty sure mine was depressed just like willy said his was.

Ok, did that, but it didn't move...

But I belive this switch has the function of interupting power to the fuel pump, so if I jumpered the fuel pump relay and heard at least something coming from the fuel pump, maybe I can rule out the inertia switch as a cause??

Thank-you both for the help!!!!

Unplug the inertia switch,think of a nice rack for a sec or two,plug it back in and see if the button on top moves,indicating a reset.

Look guys this is why I said I'm an idiot. I was on the train of thought that it wasn't cranking and on my 2000 my starter relay is an actual relay,not the fender mounted solenoid that they say in my book is the relay.

The only function the inertia switch does is interupt power to the pump. Pretty sure you could hot wire it. I've never heard of it but as with everything I suppose it could itself go bad.

Ok, so it seems that if I jumpered the fuel pump relay but it still wouldn't start, then it's not the inertia switch....

I have never changed the fuel filter, but I think it would have run rough for a while if this was the issue?

It was running fine until this morning. I seafoamed and changed the plugs and leads about a month ago...

Well, I went and bought a timing light, but when I put that on, there was no light... So it must be ignition. New plugs and magnecor leads were put in by me about a month ago.. Any ideas on what to check?

Replaced the coil pack, still no go. Guess I'm calling the tow truck for tomorrow .. :-(

Oh well, thank-you for the suggestions anyway...

There CANNOT be an open @ the inertia switch. If there is, good relay or not your pump won't work.

Man I was just thinking nonsense this morning. So it's either or! No fuel or fire! Haha

You said they battery terms were good. Battery hold a good strong charge? I would expect you checked fuses. The theft light going all bonkers says short somewhere to me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mechanic said it was the anti-theft. Wants $250 to replace the transponder and reprogram the keys

Back