• Register Today It's free!

No throttle response off idle

Sport 'Sploder

Reaction score
City, State
Cedar Springs, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Sport
I have a '97 Sport 4.0 SOHC and from a dead stop I can mash the throttle and nothing happens. No stutter, misfire, or bog; just acts like it wants to stay at idle. If I back off the throttle a bit she takes off like a rocket. So... I'm thinking it's a throttle position sensor but the "Explorer guy" at the Ford dealer I work at says they don't go bad anymore. Though I work in the washbay/detail shop, most of the techs will help me out, but they are fresh out of ideas and don't have time to help figure this out. Last I drove it there were no DTCs and no check engine light. It has new plugs/wires, new fuel filter, and a new air filter. I will plug it in tomorrow at work to check for codes, but I'm stumped. Help an Exploder newbie out please?

P.S. Also had a suggestion that I replace an "accelerator sensor". No idea if thats a real sensor or if the guy was referring to a vehicle speed sensor.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Idles good eh? Ever cleaned your Mass Air Flow Sensor or Idle Air Control valve? "accelerator sensor",no,never heard of that.

Whomever told you that "they don't go bad anymore" uh yeah don't put to much thought into what he has to say. You need to sneak over and ask the shope foreman some questions.some techs think they no it all and don't know jack.the foreman is old and still wrenching for a reason.i'd bypass the techies and very humbly ask the foreman.

That sounds exactly like a TPS issue, and they Do go bad. Have it tested in another truck, or get a junk yard one if money is tight, can't hurt.

So... I'm thinking it's a throttle position sensor but the "Explorer guy" at the Ford dealer I work at says they don't go bad anymore.

Then either the 'Explorer guy' is a pompous, arrogant ass, or a 'know-it-all'. Any mechanic that claims that ANY part on a vehicle 'never' fails is a mechanic to be avoided. For the record, the TPS on my Explorer failed at 965 miles. He can pull up my service history if he'd like to see the proof.

P.S. Also had a suggestion that I replace an "accelerator sensor". No idea if thats a real sensor or if the guy was referring to a vehicle speed sensor.

Again, I'm leaning towards the tech being a moron, know-it-all, or both. You don't HAVE an accelerator sensor. They didn't go to throttle-by-wire until the 2002 model year (and if they guy had half the experience he thinks he has, he would know that). In that case, yes, I would suspect that to be one of the plethora of possible causes.

If the guy is really willing to help you out, have him hook up his trusty NGS/WDS scanner and liik at the PID for the TPS. See what it shows at WOT. I, too, suspect it's bad.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll test the TPS first chance I get. By the way gijoecam, the guy who suggested that I check the accelerator sensor was a friend who said he wasn't sure if they had them because he isn't familiar with Explorers, not the tech from work.

If the guy is really willing to help you out, have him hook up his trusty NGS/WDS scanner and liik at the PID for the TPS. See what it shows at WOT. I, too, suspect it's bad.

I'll have to ask one of the mechanics to run the WDS scanner, I have no idea how to, or what PID or WOT stand for. There are a few guys there who are really cool and willing to answer questions, just they happen to be the busiest mechanics, go figure.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll test the TPS first chance I get. By the way gijoecam, the guy who suggested that I check the accelerator sensor was a friend who said he wasn't sure if they had them because he isn't familiar with Explorers, not the tech from work.

Sorry... didn't get that from what was written.... Ill-informed regardless.

I'll have to ask one of the mechanics to run the WDS scanner, I have no idea how to, or what PID or WOT stand for. There are a few guys there who are really cool and willing to answer questions, just they happen to be the busiest mechanics, go figure.

Ask a couple of them if they'd be willing to help troubleshoot it after work one evening in exchange for lunch. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts someone takes you up on that offer...

WOT stands for Wide Open Throttle. Your dead spot, when you have the pedal to the floor.

Back