2003 Ford Explorer. How do I turn the seat belt chime off? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Ford Explorer. How do I turn the seat belt chime off?

Kewldood

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 UT V8 Explorer
I was wondering does anyone know how to turn the seat belt alarm off ????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome to the site

its easy, wear the seatbelt!:)
haha but if you dont wanna do that....
on the ranger, all i have to do is click the eject button, and that turns off the alarm until the next start.
or you could always buy a new buckle end, and just leave it buckled in all the time, when you dont actually want the seatbelt on.

those are my only two inputs, sorry i cant help about actually disabling the alarm, someone might be able to though.

dont believe just clickin the buckle will stop it. i think you have to go under the seat and disconnect the sensor. there are a few under there, if you have all power, but trace the wires to the buckle and disconnect. note- it is there for your safety, so might as well use.

with most seat belt buzzers, there are two wires going to the seat belt latch, either connect them together, or disconnect them. depending how it's wired one way or the other will tell it you're seat belt is buckled at all times.

...the other way, is to remove the buzzer itself, which is also nice if you like to have you're doors open/key in etc and not have the buzzer going.

To disable the "BeltMinder" chime either for one cycle or to turn off completely then go to Dead Link Removed and download/open the PDF version of your owners manual. For the 2002 model the section, including safety information, starts on page 158.

A friend once described a method for turning the chime off via the keypad. If I have a chance I'll ask if he remembers the steps

Why would you want it off? Its there for a reason.

I always think its best to wear the seat belt. My friends day is overweight and has trouble with seat belts so what he did was go to the junkyard and buy the buckle part and buckled just that part in.

Why would you want it off? Its there for a reason.

to me, there's something about being told what to do, told how to take care of myself, which is not appealing. it's sort of big-brother like. i wear my seat belt for safety, not because an annoying buzzer is making me do it. so i can relate to the idea of removing the buzzer.

As mentioned, the procedure is described in the Owners Manual (at least, it is for my 04).

Mike

if you have the message center i thought there was a way to turn it off through it.

I plan on disconnecting mine too. Hate the 'big brother' aspect of so much of things nowadays. I wear my belt bout half the time. Hate hate hate the chime.

^Mine just stopped working. I noticed one day when I went to move it in the driveway.

I removed the chime itself--It's in the back of the instrument cluster--I wear my seatbelt 100% of the time, but leave my key in the ignition and that's what got to me-

There's a way to turn it off through the computer, should be in the owners manual. I remember when my mom got her '02 Taurus she wanted the belt chime turned off, and I read the manual, I'm not sure, but I believe that you had to turn the ignition from the OFF position to the ACC position six times. It's probably different for the Explorers though, it should be in the manual.

ITs in the manual for your explorer - Went through the manual of my 04 and instructions say ....

ignition off
doors closed
headlights off

buckle and unbuckle 3 times ending unbuckled
turn on headlights
turn off headlights
buckle and unbuckle 3 times ending unbuckled
seatbelt light will light for 3 seconds and go off
within 7 seconds buckle and unbuckle seatbelt once more
seatbelt light will flash

worked for me.. did it about 3 yrs ago.

I hate that damn chime and the belt, i'm going to try ^^^ his method.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Part of me really thought Curtis was just screwing with us with his 3x seatbelt/headlight/seatbelt etc trick.... but sure enough, it's in the manual on page 115 for my 2003!

Make sure you have the car in the run position first, and you have to wait for the seatbelt light to go away before doing the steps.

I personally have hated that stupid alarm. When launching a boat it's a real pain - you get in and out a lot, and listening to the damned car chime away adds to the frustration! I usually just plug the seatbelt in and sit on top of it.... not anymore!!

Back